Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 6:18 PM
There is ignorance on both sides but both sides believe they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Civil Unions should be available to all consenting adults in a country. It should convey all the legal rights of what is currently called marriage in the USA. There should be a centralized legal quality assurance to ensure that "drive-thru weddings" must go through the same rigorous process as getting married at a courthouse or else these insults to marriage (most common in Las Vegas, which has other problems as well) would not be recognized.

Holy Matrimony and equivalents in other religions should convey every religious benefit that it has always had but remain an exclusive sacrament with its own rigorous process to prevent fraud and abuse. What private companies honor should not be forced upon them by an oppressive government (it is hard to deny that the government of the USA is oppressive).

Civil Unions and Holy Matrimony are not the same and should remain separate. In order to receive all benefits, one would need to go through both processes.

Sincerely,

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#177 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 6:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Well, instead of posting vague, nonsensical thoughts you could actually refute my points...

Lab Assistant
#178 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 9:10 PM
Well that escalated quickly.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Test Subject
#179 Old 3rd Oct 2014 at 8:04 PM
Should gay marriage be called marriage? Of course! You have to remember that words have power, and to call it something else would come off as a less meaning of the word marriage. Albeit, if we're given the same rights as a "marriage" with just a different title, that'd be something different I suppose.
Lab Assistant
#180 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 12:32 AM
Why is it called 'gay marriage'

Why can't it just be called 'marriage'
Scholar
#181 Old 26th Mar 2018 at 8:20 PM
of course it should be called marriage! i thought the world was about equality yet having gay marriage separates gays from the straights and bisexuals thus meaning it's not equal.

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Instructor
#182 Old 3rd Apr 2018 at 8:13 PM
Important note: secular marriage and religious marriage can't be conflated.

I see no reason why governments shouldn't recognize gay marriage, but, of course, some religions won't, and I see nothing wrong with that as long as the two concepts are completely separate.

I further think that religious marriages shouldn't immediately qualify as secular marriages, but I don't care very much.

Then, when talking about marriage, one should clarify whether they're talking about secular marriage or religious marriage (and, if they're discussing the latter, which religion) unless it's contextually clear. Of course, religious marriage only matters to someone of the same religion, whereas secular marriage matters in law.
Scholar
#183 Old 8th Apr 2018 at 5:53 PM Last edited by kattenijin : 8th Apr 2018 at 6:21 PM.
There is no such thing as legal religious marriage in the United States. All legally recognized marriages are secular. Don't confuse a ceremony for a marriage. You can have a faith based ceremony as many times as you'd like, and until/unless you have the marriage license, issued by your local civil authority (usually the Town/City Clerk's Office), that is then signed by a registered officiant and returned to the Clerk's office where it then becomes a Certificate of Marriage Registration; only then is the marriage recognized by law. Unregistered persons performing ceremonies and/or with out marriage licenses can be fined and/or even imprisoned. Officiants do not need to be religious authorities, they can be current/former State Governors, current/former Mayors, City Clerks, Justices and Judges, City/Town/Village board appointed marriage officers, any person who has been duly licensed and registered.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.

Page 8 of 8