Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2017 at 10:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Can't start a new save at all?
Hello, I've looked around and I can't seem to find anything on this. But whenever I start a new save,EA world or otherwise the game freezes completely with a purple border around it and If I let it sit there it does absolutely nothing, I can't move the camera at all, I can't click on play/pause. I did notice that the plumbob is still moving but I still can't do anything. So I have to force close the game.
I've taken out all my CC in both the launcher and the packages folder and it didn't work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled and ran it completely vanilla and it worked once, then stopped working again after that. I've deleted my cache files, and I've factory reset the game. I'm getting super frustrated with this and any help would be appreciated.
Edit: I would like to add that I can play any of my old saves just fine, I just can't make new saves at all.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:01 AM
Just a shot in the dark here really, but how large is the drive on which TS3 and your game folder is installed and how much free space have you got to work with?

If it's not that, perhaps we could see the first 40 lines or so of your DeviceConfig.log, it's a file in your TS3 user game folder in Documents. You can stop when it gets to the longs lists of game options, that's not the interesting part. Also please, mention how many EPs you have in play and which ones.

This assumes you are on the Windows version of the game. If playing the Mac version, that would require a different conversation beyond the drive space thing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:18 AM
If I am reading this correctly (Which I am not sure if I am or not) I have 930GB of hard drive space and 409 GB free.

I am playing on windows 10, and I have all EPs and I play all of them. I am on patch 1.67. Here is my device config log.

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 1 CPU: 4 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 3500 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 4267 RAM: 8190 Adjusted RAM: 7678 Cores: 6
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 2
OS SP major ver: 0
OS SP minor ver: 0
CPU: AuthenticAMD
Brand: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor
Family: 15
Model: 2
Cores: 6
HT: 0
x64: 0
Memory: 8190MB
Free memory: 3980MB
User: Jennifer
Computer: JENNIFERPC
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 1380, Board: 31021462, Chipset: 00a2
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 22.21.13.8494, GUID: D7B71E3E-50C0-11CF-FC56-0F1118C2DB35
Driver version: 8494
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
Mad Poster
#4 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 2:37 AM
You're getting the dreaded texture memory override there and your card is unrecognized. But I find it strange that those alone would cause the symptoms you describe. One other thing I see is that your computer is using over 4 GB of its 8 GB of RAM before you even startup the game. Is there any way to make it less busy, can you cut out any other running programs for example web browser sessions that might be consuming so much in the way of resources before launching the game? Task Manger, on the Processes tab and sorted by Memory, should be able to tell you what a lot of this RAM is being used for at any given moment.

You've already tried pulling the TS3 user game folder out of Documents and spawning a new one from what I'm reading above and trying to start a new game with a no-content clean game folder did not help. Correct?

Here are instructions for getting your card recognized and getting rid of that 32MB texture memory override. Be sure to use the device code for your card, which is 1380, not the one in the example as that's for a different card.
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4782510

On a game you can get started, can you check your fps rates? Ctrl+shift+C to open the cheats console, type fps on (enter). As you play and move the game camera around, the displayed fps rate should never wander above the refresh rate of your monitor. Most monitors are 60 Hz, so that would be 60 fps. Some can run higher. Unlike more modern games, TS3 does not have a built-in frame rate limiter. This is worth checking again even if you have addressed this in the past as it might have become undone due to a graphics driver update or because of your recent reinstall.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 3:30 AM
Yes, I've already tried pulling the ts3 user game folder out and spawning a new one. It does not help anything and I still seem to be stuck. Even with a completely vanilla game.

I typed the FPS cheat into the game and while sitting still my fps is going between 30-60, but when I move around it goes well past 100 sometimes 200.

I did as you said, and my card is recognized now, though my device config file still says Found 1, matched 0. I couldn't find the exact number that the instructions provided, so I got a little confused I guess.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 3:44 AM
That means your card is still not properly recognized.

It would be a much higher priority to cap that fps. Frame rates running wild like that can cause graphics glitches, screen tears, and crashes. It can also ultimately burn out your graphics card. We don't know this yet, but it could even be what is causing your inability to start new games.

Here is a post from the EA forums that shows how to use the Nvidia Control Panel (first spoiler) and then alternately Nvidia Inspector (second spoiler) to cap your fps rate. Note that the first way will only work in full screen mode, if you can get its vsync to work at all. Inspector tends to work better for many and will work in full screen or windowed provided you also change the value for Frame Rate Limiter from "Off" to 60 or whatever the actual refresh rate of your monitor is in addition to the Vertical Sync setting as shown.
http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/dis...omment_15940743
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:24 AM
Thank you, the FPS is fixed now and never goes above 60 even during gameplay. But I still cannot create new saves without them freezing and me having to force close them.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:38 AM
Okay good job, but sorry that didn't fix the original problem. Did you work out what was using up all that RAM when the game wasn't even running yet?

And let's confirm something, at any time are you attempting to start a new game by retreating from an existing game and using the Main Menu rather than quitting all the way to the desktop and relaunching? Or is that not making any difference? Generally this is not a good practice.

I think we might need some fresh blood, I mean faces, on this thread though.

Paging Dr. @nitromon
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:45 AM
I had a bunch of google chrome pages open and I don't know if that could possibly be eating up the ram? Or I may have had the game running while I posted that, I am unsure.
It doesn't make a difference whether or not I exit from an existing save or I start a new save right when I open up the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 4:51 AM
The old saves work and I can save those saves. The old saves are in Sunlit Tides, but if I try starting a new save in any of the worlds whether it is custom made or EA worlds it freezes and I have to force close. I believe the purple border means that the game is stuck in map view.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 5:05 AM
@nitromon - We never did get that graphics card recognized properly and should probably return to that. But given that the player was running with uncapped fps for who knows how long, do you think this could be a sign that the card is now beginning to fail? A GTX 750Ti can't be all that youthful to begin with after all...
Mad Poster
#15 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 6:56 AM
Part of my theory was that creating a new ongoing game is a bit more stressful than loading up or saving an existing one by either method. But that doesn't really explain the purple border either, as if some kind of blockage is happening on purpose, whatever mysterious purpose that might be.

Suggestion withdrawn (mostly, for now).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 11:24 AM
Turning off the anti-virus did not seem to work. But I did find a work around, I can create new saves by moving the sims to a different town from my old save. This is a strange thing, but I do appreciate both of you for your help. Thank you.
Site Helper
#17 Old 14th Aug 2017 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
What function is the purple border again? I think red is paused.... yellow is video recording...

I seem to remember that I see it in Neighborhood view when the game is not paused. But it's been almost 2 months since I've been up to playing my game, and I don't really trust my memory right now.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook