Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 7:40 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Way to Undo Deleting Family in Family Bin?
Hi, I'm really nervous because I accidentlly just deleted the Crittur dog family from the sims 2 family bin. I never delete sims from the family bin because I know it leads to corruption, and I clicked the trash button on accident and hit delete instead of cancel. x_x The game is still up, I have not clicked anything since, is there a way to undo this/not save this? I've been playing this game for many many years and avoided corruption, this is honestly giving me so much anxiety because I have so much invested in the game. Any help is really appreciated!
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:03 AM
Unless you have a backup that you can put in, I don't think you can undo deleting Sims from the bin.

OTOH, there are also plenty of people who routinely delete everyone in the Bin and have reported no issues and who've gone on to play a neighborhood for a long time. But there are some for whom it DOES cause issues, right away. It seems to be a luck-of-the-draw thing. So, hopefully you have a backup. We all do things accidentally sometimes, and that's part of what backups are for.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:20 AM Last edited by mate54 : 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:04 AM.
This tutorial might help you. It was written for premade deceased Sims, but should work in your case as well. Instead of making their clones, you can extract their original character files from the Pets stealth hood (I believe it's P001) and follow the tutorial. You will have to restore their relationships manually.

EDIT: Pets have slightly different character files, so in step 9 there may not be an Object Functions folder to remove.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:34 AM
Does it help that none of my sims ever met the Critturs dogs?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Terra575
Does it help that none of my sims ever met the Critturs dogs?

Probably, but even if they did, their relationships were deleted anyway so that wouldn't be an issue.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:37 AM
I've read that the main problem with corruption from deleting sims from the bin is that their info 'leaks' onto sims that they knew, thus corrupting them too, but I'm curious if the fact that they didn't meet other sims means that their absense won't be a big issue for the data.
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:37 AM
Not really. It's not the relationships so much as the fact that they game doesn't properly delete the Sims. It leaves behind little bits and pieces of them that can become attached to newly-generated Sims which messes things up.

Do you have the NoUnlinkonDelete mod, by any chance? It's one of those mods that's considered essential, and it (usually) prevents corruption if people delete tombstones. I think this situation is similar, so if you do have that mod, you're probably OK. (Sorry, should have thought to ask in my first reply. I'm sleepy, though, and should probably go to bed. )

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:38 AM
I don't have any mods in my sims 2 game, other than a pair of CC eyes, haha.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:41 AM
I've read that the main problem with corruption from deleting sims from the bin is that their info 'leaks' onto sims that they knew, thus corrupting them too, but I'm curious if the fact that they didn't meet other sims means that their absense won't be a big issue for the data.

I personally do not believe in the 'leaks' since their data is still linked to their Sim Description, and if you restore their data properly, they should be OK.

@iCad, it's actually exactly the same, just in this case Sims (or pets) are still alive. But I think that that mod only works on graves, I haven't tested that out yet.
Undead Molten Llama
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:47 AM
In that case, you have some choices. You can try the tutorial that mate54 linked you to, but I'm not sure you can resurrect Family Bin sims or that doing so would fix the character fragmentation. You can try running the Hood Checker. It might be able to nuke the fragments. If neither of those things work and you don't have a backup you can restore, then you can decide whether or not you want to continue playing the neighborhood or start over, which will probably depend on how much work you've put into it.

Whatever you decide, you should 1) Install NoUnlinkonDelete and other corruption-preventing mods. There's a stickied thread about there around here somewhere. 2) Get in the habit of making regular backups. We all do boneheaded things sometimes and, also, sometimes computers fart and power outages happen and data gets screwed up.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:52 AM
I use a Mac, so I can't use things like Sims PE or Hood Checker, I believe. I've read that I could use Batbox Lot Debugger, but I have almost no experience with game files and I worry that playing around with that would make it worse.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
In that case, you have some choices. You can try the tutorial that mate54 linked you to, but I'm not sure you can resurrect Family Bin sims or that doing so would fix the character fragmentation. You can try running the Hood Checker. It might be able to nuke the fragments. If neither of those things work and you don't have a backup you can restore, then you can decide whether or not you want to continue playing the neighborhood or start over, which will probably depend on how much work you've put into it.

Whatever you decide, you should 1) Install NoUnlinkonDelete and other corruption-preventing mods. There's a stickied thread about there around here somewhere. 2) Get in the habit of making regular backups. We all do boneheaded things sometimes and, also, sometimes computers fart and power outages happen and data gets screwed up.

I also remember that there was a mod that removed the delete button since it's practically useless, so that might be worth a look. The tutorial should work on family bin Sims, though I have just found that pets have a slightly different character file when compared to Sims, so I should probably edit my first post and add that. Bear in mind that when you restore their data they will still be in the Default family, and not the family bin, so if you want to play them you will have to teleport them to another household first. If you don't plan on playing them, you can probably leave them where they are or turn them into strays. They will not have any relationships as those were deleted when you deleted them from the bin.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 8:55 AM
I use a Mac, so I can't use things like Sims PE or Hood Checker, I believe. I've read that I could use Batbox Lot Debugger, but I have almost no experience with game files and I worry that playing around with that would make it worse.

If they never met any Sims, then it's probably OK to leave them alone, if you don't plan on playing them.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:00 AM

The batbox isn't messing with the game files it's a CC file in your download folder and an object that comes with a variety of things it can change or fix. For example, snow gets stuck on your lot and it's 3 days into Spring, you can select Snow>Clear. The bat box has no dangerous options unless you turn on Boolprop.

You should also get No Unlink on delete at the very least. This stops corruption from graves deleting themselves or from a sim smashing an urn and sweeping it up. You could get away without it if you have no urns or graves in your hoods at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:10 AM
Interesting, thanks for all of this advice. I think I will just continue to play the game for now, as I'm not seeing any initial signs of corruption. And since I've been playing this game for years, and have a lot of time invested in it, I might as well keep playing it while I can.

One question, though--is deleteing the dog family from the bin a hood corruption, or game? Because if it's just hood, I could play Strangetown or any of the others instead of Pleasantview.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2019 at 9:13 AM
Interesting, thanks for all of this advice. I think I will just continue to play the game for now, as I'm not seeing any initial signs of corruption. And since I've been playing this game for years, and have a lot of time invested in it, I might as well keep playing it while I can.

One question, though--is deleteing the dog family from the bin a hood corruption, or game? Because if it's just hood, I could play Strangetown or any of the others instead of Pleasantview.

If it were corruption, it would be hood corruption. Game corruption is caused by messing with unique NPCs and other things stored in the installation folder. But since the dogs didn't know anyone before being deleted, your neighborhood is probably OK.