Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 10:18 PM
Default SimPE Help with EYE Genetics/Appearance
I have just recently downloaded SimPE and it looks like a great program! I was excited to try it because I just downloaded DEFAULT eyes to replace the ugly maxis ones.
Only problem is...my sims in-game had custom-colored maxis eyes already, so when I got the new defaults, my sims all ended up with the icky maxis brown eyes. I was aware they would revert to different eyes, but I assumed they would go to one of my new defaults. Now I'm faced with the problem: Permanently change their eye colors.
That brings me back to SimPE becasue I know it has the ability to change genetics/appearance. I have the newest version, so it's not pure code on the "Sim DNA" page. It actually says: Dominant/Recessive Eyes, Facial Features, Skintone, etc and contains one line of code underneath each.
Now I think I can figure out the genetics, but when I try to change the eye color of my sim using the "Sims Surgery" feature, it doesn't do anything. I select "eyes only" and pick a sim with the color I want...but nothing changes.
I've found some tutorials but they have a different version so it's not very easy to follow. If you have a method to PERMANENTLY CHANGE EYE COLOR it would be a huuuuuuuge help. (and I'm not taking the contacts way out XD)

Sorry for the long post, but I'm ever-so-confused! I appreciate and feedback.
Thanks!
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 5:26 AM
What do you mean by "custom-colored maxis eyes already"? If you already had a set of default replacement eyes in your game, you have to remove those and then add the new ones. You should not have two sets of default replacements in the game at the same time.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 11:00 PM
What I mean is that I (using body shop or downloading) added more custom colored eyes that were still based on the maxis eyes. So really they were just maxis eye recolors. Any helo?
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 1st May 2007 at 8:14 AM
As far as I know, all eyes in the game are considered recolors. Technically it doesn't really matter if the texture is based on Maxis ones or not, they still work the same. Downloading default replacements should not affect how other, regular custom eyes work, but they will replace the eyes on any sim who's using one of the original Maxis eyes (not recolors of them). Did you remove all your other custom eyes when you installed the default replacements? Simply adding them should not have had effect on the others.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd May 2007 at 2:01 AM
Well, the whole default eyes thing isn't a big problem; I just need to know how to permanently change my sims' eye colors to the ones I've just downloaded. I've seen a few SimPE tutorials on this (with Sims Surgery etc) but I can't get the things to change.
I managed to change the genetics I think, but I'd like those changes to appear on my current sims - not wait for their future generations.

??
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 2nd May 2007 at 5:21 AM
The following text is copied from an old thread I found in the archive. I have used this system of changing the eye color before, but I strongly recommend you back up your whole neighborhood before you do anything so that you can go back if something goes very wrong. I have only used this to change a sim's eye color back to a Maxis one, I can't guarantee it works the same way for custom colors.

This information was originally posted by JaiJai06:

Step 1: Load your neighborhood with the "Neighborhood Browser"
Step 2: Click the "Sim Browser" button and find the sim that you want to make the changes to.
Step 3: Click on "More" in the sim description editor.
Step 4: Select "Open Character File"
Step 5: Once the file has opened, in the Resource Tree (in the top left) find "Age Data" and click on it.
Step 6: Find the line that looks like this "eyecolor (dtString) = 2d6839c5-0b7c-48a1-9c55-4bd9cc873b0f". Click on the line and change the numbers to one of the ones below. Then "Commit"

32dee745-b6ce-419f-9e86-ae93802d2682 = Brown eyes
51c4a750-c9f4-4cfe-801c-898efc360cb7 = Green eyes
e43f3360-3a08-4755-8b83-a0b37a6c424b = Light Blue eyes
2d6839c5-0b7c-48a1-9c55-4bd9cc873b0f = Dark Blue eyes
12d4f3e1-fdbe-4fe7-ace3-46dd9ff52b51 = Alien eyes

Editor's note : the code for grey eyes not listed here is 0758508c-7111-40f9-b33b-706464626ac9

Step 7: Scroll down in the "Resource Tree" until you find "Material Definition". Click on it.
Step 8: (You will need to make these changed in each of the files in the Material Definition list.)

Find the line that says "baseTexture1: uuface-eye-dkblue" Change the "dkblue" bit to one of the following to match what you entered in the step above.

dkbrown
green
dkblue
ltblue
alien

Step 9: Find "cafOverlay1: 2d6839c5-0b7c-48a1-9c55-4bd9cc873b0f," (May be cafOverlay0, just make sure the numbers corispond with the current eye colour and you should be right.) Change the number again to what you did in Step: 6 making sure to leave the comma at the end. Commit each file as you finish each one.
Step 10: Once all changes have been made as above, save your neighborhood file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd May 2007 at 9:45 PM
This finally looks like something that will work! I'm trying it right now (and yes - I've backed up my neighborhood).

Just one question...in step 7 and above, I click on "Material Definition" but I don't have any of those lines like:"baseTexture1: uuface-eye-dkblue".

All I have are 12 lines of random numbers and letters. Here's an example of what they're all pretty much like:
#0x6f00048e!ss_customPart_0x..........and on and on. I think the "custom part" might have something to do with the new default eyes or recolors.

Up to that point, everything seemed to work fine - and I'm excited about this tutorial! Thanks so much!
Part-time Hermit
#8 Old 3rd May 2007 at 4:47 AM
Yes, I think custom parts will look different on the list, but there should still be an entry starting with "baseTexture1:", I think.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd May 2007 at 11:32 PM
ehhh. nope. Oh no. Panic!

Darn. So there's no way to decode this mess? There isn't an entry with basetexture or anything close to that. Lovely.

Help? Or am I out of luck?
Part-time Hermit
#10 Old 4th May 2007 at 4:25 AM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 4th May 2007 at 4:42 AM.
When you first click on Material Definition in the Resource Tree, you get a list of files under the Resource List. Those are called something like "custom part" such and such. You need to click on each of those lines and then you get the view you're supposed to. See this screenshot for reference.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 4th May 2007 at 1:29 PM Last edited by Bagfran : 16th Jun 2007 at 7:17 PM.
I'm trying to do exactly the same thing as twilightchild - permanently change my sims' eyes, in terms of both their DNA AND their appearance - and having the same problems.

Thanks for the instructions - I have tried following them, but this is what I see when I click on one of the files under Resource List, once I have clicked on Material Definition - well, part of it anyway, just the first few lines:

baseTexture0: efface-s4
baseTexture1: ##0x5fab0c9d!stdMatBaseTextureName
baseTexture2: ##0x5f9f6bab!##0x5fb2cc0d!##0x5f07ec45!##0x5f97a299!##0x7f136115!
##0x7fa7f404!##0x7fc84080!##0x7f01b0f3!uuface-makeup
baseTexture3: uuface-eyeshadowgothswirls
baseTexture4: ##0x5ffa2af0!##0x5f4b8bbd!##0x5f9d0696!##0x5ffe670e!##0x5f5df747!
##0x5f89a527!##0x5f593a54!##0x5f5096fe!uuface-browtweased-grey
baseTexture5: ##0x7f0a8877!uuface-eyelinerlight
baseTexture6: uuface-browcombed-grey
etc...

Obviously, most of this is nothing to do with eye colour, but I'm guessing that baseTexture1 is, and since this sim already has a custom eye colour, the entry for this line does not say anything like 'uuface-eye-dkblue' - I'm just wondering if twilightchild has the same sort of entry for this line?

The thing is, I want to change the existing custom eye colour to another, not back to a Maxis default (which is what it sounds like twilightchild wants to do as well), so I'm not sure what the entry for this line should be.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated!
Part-time Hermit
#12 Old 4th May 2007 at 1:42 PM
My (untested) suggestion is to create a sim with the custom eye color you want for your other sim, and then open this "dummy" sim's character file and see what that sim's values are for the eye related textures, then copy those to the other sim's character file. Obviously, again, back up your game first!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 4th May 2007 at 2:02 PM Last edited by Bagfran : 16th Jun 2007 at 7:18 PM.
Thanks!

After a bit of prodding around in SimPE, looking at sims data and the eye colour data itself, I came to the same sort of conclusion!

I think the entry for baseTexture1 is actually the name of the eye colour (sorry if that sounds obvious), so changing it to the name of the required eye colour (found from a dummy sim character file of the eye colour file itself), should hopefully work.

Just testing it out now...

EDIT: OK, this seems to work!

Thanks for your help!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 4th May 2007 at 10:00 PM
Someone else with my problem! XD

Well, I can finally get those lines under material definitons, but under baseTexture1 it says this:

baseTexture1: uuface-lip-purpleblack

So....that doesn't seem to look like an eye color line. I've looked through all of the custom part sections, but they all have the lip thing. Should I change it anyways?

Thanks for your help - both of you
Part-time Hermit
#15 Old 4th May 2007 at 10:03 PM
That doesn't look like an eye texture to me. Can you post a screenshot of what you see listed there?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2007 at 1:10 AM
one problem - how? I have the screenshot saved, just how do I post it? I click on insert image but then it brings up some funky box. Anyways, I'm technologically retarded.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th May 2007 at 1:14 AM
i think i mananged to add it as an attachment...maybe. :D
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#18 Old 5th May 2007 at 5:18 AM
The line called basetexture4 seems like out only chance for an eye texture. The line is too long to be seen fully in the screenshot, can you check what the rest of the line reads?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th May 2007 at 3:29 PM
sigh...eyeshadow. I wonder why it's different? I DID download default lipstck (makes tha maxis ones more realistic) so maybe that overwrote the eyecolor line, since the lip thing is in the basetexture1 line... Ugh. So many complications.
Part-time Hermit
#20 Old 5th May 2007 at 5:02 PM
Hmm, that's odd. Maybe the sim has no line for the eyecolor anymore. You mentioned the eyecolor in game had defaulted to the Maxis brown one, which is what you'll see if the sim has no eye color. At this point, I'm not sure what to do about it. There might be a way to fix it, but I don't know how to add a line that's completely missing and have it work. Let me experiment a bit and see how it goes.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 5th May 2007 at 5:18 PM
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was brave and experimented a bit and got it to work. Here's what I did:

1. Opened the sim and clicked More>Sim DNA. Changed the genes there.
2. Clicked More>Open Character File. Here's where my experimentation started.
3. Went to Age Data and entered the right numbers for the eye color dtstring
4. Went to Material Definitions and under baseTexture1, I went crazy. It said something about lips, but I deleted everything under that and replaced it with "uuface-eye-[color]" on all the custompart things.
5. THEN I took a wild guess on the "cafOverlay1 ####" because none of the eye colors matched up on those. I decided to change "cafOverlay0" and put the number in (with the comma of course).
6. That was surprising it. I saved and went to the game. I had to change appearance first, but my simmies had the right eyes at LAST!

Thank you so very much - I couldn't have done all this without you! Huggs! xoxo
Part-time Hermit
#22 Old 5th May 2007 at 5:27 PM
Yay! I'm glad to hear it finally worked
Test Subject
#23 Old 23rd Mar 2019 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twilightchild
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was brave and experimented a bit and got it to work. Here's what I did:

1. Opened the sim and clicked More>Sim DNA. Changed the genes there.
2. Clicked More>Open Character File. Here's where my experimentation started.
3. Went to Age Data and entered the right numbers for the eye color dtstring
4. Went to Material Definitions and under baseTexture1, I went crazy. It said something about lips, but I deleted everything under that and replaced it with "uuface-eye-[color]" on all the custompart things.
5. THEN I took a wild guess on the "cafOverlay1 ####" because none of the eye colors matched up on those. I decided to change "cafOverlay0" and put the number in (with the comma of course).
6. That was surprising it. I saved and went to the game. I had to change appearance first, but my simmies had the right eyes at LAST!

Thank you so very much - I couldn't have done all this without you! Huggs! xoxo

After 12 years this info worked to me. Thank you so much.