Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2023 at 9:05 AM
Default Creating a custom university hood
I have made a uni hood attached to one of my hoods and I would like to make it available to any hood. I can't find a tutorial for this. Can somebody please help me?

Do I have rename all of the files to eg "U00X" and put it in the correct place in the uni folder in the game directory? What do I do with the lots in the hood, and what else do i need to do?

Is it possible also, to make a vacation destination that is available to all hoods?

Thank you.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Oct 2023 at 9:49 AM
Here's a tutorial for creating custom subhood templates:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=420196
To copy your existing hood deco, lots etc., to a fresh hood, you may find this useful:
https://modthesims.info/t/468987
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Oct 2023 at 10:08 AM
I think this is what I am looking for - thank you. I will give this a go. (I didn't think of googling subhood!)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Oct 2023 at 5:14 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 8th Oct 2023 at 10:59 AM.
Well this is really annoying. I installed the anygamestarter as instructed, and it wanted to repair all of my sim files in the install directory because I had replaced all of the hoods with empty templates. so i abandoned the starter (I usually use the RPC starter), and now when i load the game, it isn't using my documents/ea games/ etc, it is using an install that is putting in C: Users/ Public /Public documents. I DO NOT want this. How do I get my game to go back to normal?? (I am abandoning the idea of making a subhood as it has stuffed up my game!!!)

Yeah this has really borked my game. I have got it to go back to the right documents directory, now my custom walls don't show up. Grrr.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Oct 2023 at 11:03 PM
Hey, try the fix mentioned on the Download page under 'TROUBLESHOOTING AND REPORTING BUGS':
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=250555
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 12:07 AM
I can't see the fix. But I did create a uni using Mootilda's brief explanation (not the tutorial) and one from MATY. It seems to work, and didn't need the anygamestarter.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#7 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 9:16 AM Last edited by simsample : 9th Oct 2023 at 3:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by VirtualAlex
I can't see the fix.

To see it you need to read the spoilers.

MY "FULL GAME" HAS BEEN DELETED/NUKED/BROKEN!
OK, take a deep breath and calm down: you full game is safe and has NOT been deleted. You DON'T HAVE to reinstall anything.
Here is what you have to do:

Be sure to have the latest AGS installer.
From the Start menu, select the icon "AnyGameStarter -> AGS installer (Standard)". If you don't see it, double-click on the file "AnyGameStarter_Setup.exe" (downloaded from this thread): it will create the icons in the Start menu. (Note: the icon from the Start menu are special: they create an Install Log on the desktop).
After selecting the "Standard" icon from the Start menu, you should see the first page of the AGS installer:
At this point, you can click Cancel: the installer has already tried to fix your game.
RESTART WINDOWS. This is important! It will force Windows to read the fixed path to the Documents folder.
Test your Full Game, to see if it's normal again.

Glad you got a Uni made, anyway!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 3:17 PM
Thanks - I am too scared to use it now though. Also, since i used it, my lots and houses bin has been eating dorm lots - when i put them in the bin, they are not there, although the file is still in the lotcatalog. (Other types of lots are ok.) So I am a bit fed up of universities.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 3:45 PM
That's likely nothing to do with the AGS- are you looking in the speciality bin?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 3:57 PM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 9th Oct 2023 at 5:10 PM.
I am looking in the lot bin. If i make a dorm and put it in the bin, i can't see it. Other lot types are ok. The cx file is also in the lotcatalog.

I just downloaded a dorm and a house from here and installed them, and the house is in the bin but the dorm is not. No idea what I have done.

And i just reinstalled the game and I still can't see any dorms that I install...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Oct 2023 at 10:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VirtualAlex
I am looking in the lot bin. If i make a dorm and put it in the bin, i can't see it.

Yeah, but what I was getting at was, are you looking in the speciality bin? You need to enter a university world, then look in the speciality lotbin.

Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 7:45 AM
The dorm lot I made somehow showed up again - but in the regular lot bin.

At least my game is all nice and clean though...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 10th Oct 2023 at 10:44 AM
Oh, I'm glad it appeared somewhere! Glad things seem to be working for you. I've never had any issues with AGS and I've been using it for many years, but you do have to be sure to accept every pop-up that you get for a registry change. Otherwise the registry is only changed partially, which will result in EPs being missing or userdata directing to a different folder. Usually this can be solved by running the setup as instructed on the thread. But anyway, I hope you have fun with making your Uni!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 6:44 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 11th Oct 2023 at 6:59 AM.
Sometimes, when I run AGS, it goes fine and I can do what I need to do. Other times, it goes to Origin and Origin decides it needs to fix some corrupted files. There aren't any corruptions, but what Origin wants to do is put all the townies back in my empty templates, which is a no-no. I can't get AGS to run reliably without talking to Origin. I hate Origin.

I just restarted the computer and now my anygame game seems to run. I guess I have to restart every time I need to access the AGS game?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 10:46 AM
I have no idea I'mafraid, I have never played through Origin. Numenor did release an AGS version for UC though:
https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=604873
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 11:10 AM
I'm using that one.
I don't always get the issue, I just loaded an AGS game three times with no issue. Oh well.

Thank you so much for your help!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 11th Oct 2023 at 11:14 AM
Be sure to keep backups! I hope you have fun!