Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 8:18 AM
Totally fed up with my game
OK!! I've done absolutely everything to get my game playing: Merged mods, deleted cache, deleted mods, scanned the mods, used the Mod Conflictor program, used the Mod Manager program. Nothing will make my game play!!! I'm at wit's end, just to play a goddamn game (I've never been so desperate)!! After I merged what mods I had, I was down to less than 100, my game apparently can't even handle those! I'm just so frustrated with going through all this shit, just to play again. PLEASE, SOMEONE HELP!!
Advertisement
Smeg Head
#2 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 9:14 AM
Merging mods for TS4 is a bad, bad idea. The most common consequence when (not if) merged mods mess up the game, is it simply won't load further than the black start up screen. Merging otherwise perfectly fine mods and CC turns them into little gremlins, I shit you not.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#3 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 10:24 AM
I thought merging died out with TS3?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coolspear1
Merging mods for TS4 is a bad, bad idea. The most common consequence when (not if) merged mods mess up the game, is it simply won't load further than the black start up screen. Merging otherwise perfectly fine mods and CC turns them into little gremlins, I shit you not.

I tried putting my original mods (unmerged) & the same thing happens still. I guess my HP laptop doesn't like my mods or the sims in general. Either way, I don't know why or how the game won't respond. there's also this weird STBL file that appeared in my mods. I don't know what it does & when I took it out, the game wouldn't go fullscreen or go into a windowed screen (just a tab with a close, minimize, & fullscreen button)
Forum Resident
#5 Old 19th Oct 2017 at 5:20 PM
As someone who can share your heartache.....

1. Remove your mods folder, your custom music (if you have it), your save folder and your tray folder, and screenshots you want to save to somewhere else. (If you can afford it, I highly recommend an external drive.)

2. Rename your Sims game with an extension - .old This is one level up from clicking on your sims 4 game folder where you will find your mods, custom music, etc.

Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 4.old

3. Run your game. It will go through the motions and start a new The Sims 4 folder . NOTHING will be deleted until you exit your game, go to your Electronic Arts folder and delete the old game (ONLY THE FOLDER WITH THE .OLD extension, NOT YOUR ELECTRONIC ARTS FOLDER).

4. Run your game again - How long does it load? Go through your gameplay options and set the parameters for what you want, and enable script mods. Look at what the game has enabled for your in-game settings on your hp.

NOTE: This suggestion does NOT un-install or re-install the game for you. It simply creates a fresh sims4 game folder without having to un-install or re-install, and it should work well for you. If, for any reason, I am not clear on how to do this, please ask.

5. In the other thread, I asked about your lastexception file. It is a text document that will give you an idea of problems within your game - and is created every time a mod or script does not naturally progress. If you can save that and post it, that would be a potential help.

6. Also, what type of script files do you have? Mods that I have had a problem with (and I have spent HOURS on this, so I am trying to help you enjoy you get past this.)
a. default eyes (Aveira's no 6 for some reason especially)
b. custom traits made every sim in my town freeze (creepy) while my game still ran. Even though it was not every single custom trait, I decided I could live without them.
c. Mods that are not updated with every flippin' EA patch, especially package files that also require script files, or zip folders with python.
d. Mods based on limited time events (like the Jasmine ones, or the sugar skulls ones) - they interfered with the gameplay I enjoy most (collecting & gardening).

If you are a somewhat intermediate user, I would recommend Sims 4 Studio. You sign up and download the software - it is really user friendly and so amazing. It can run batch updates on your game mods to make them compatible with packs and patches. It really is a must - and can also help you properly categorize things that can make your game nuts, especially hairs that are categorized for toddlers that are NOT supposed to be.

As you use Sims 4 Studio, pay attention to how the program reacts to your mods as well. I have found (in Sims 2 and Sims 3 as well), that if the programs built to check and organize those files do not like your mods, there will be heartache, so just delete those mods.

Lastly, lets get to mods. Yes, merging them can be a game breaker, so I would not do that - the exception being say, a lipstick by one creator that has ten swatches - I generally do not mix files just to merge them, so just say no to that.

Except for MC Command Center files by Deaderpool, you can also use Bulk Rename Utility to take out characters from file names, like _, - , &, etc.

Here are some programs to make your life easier:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=546572 - Mod Conflict Detector. Simple, quick.

http://luniversims.com/files/file/7...-tray-importer/ - Sims 4 tray importer. Say you are in-game and content just does not look good - create a crap sim or crap house, SAVE the sim or house to your library, exit the game then use the importer to see what content it is that doesn't look good (and only do the crap content, as good content you leave on the sim or house will show as well and you may be really unhappy you deleted it, although you can use Sims 4 studio to confirm visually).

MC Command Center by deaderpool https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/

As always, you can do the dreaded 50/50 method. Just make sure that your package/script pairs are together when you do this. I find most build mode items the least offensive, and CAS and script files the most annoying.

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated. Please continue to ask questions.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 4:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
As someone who can share your heartache.....

1. Remove your mods folder, your custom music (if you have it), your save folder and your tray folder, and screenshots you want to save to somewhere else. (If you can afford it, I highly recommend an external drive.)

2. Rename your Sims game with an extension - .old This is one level up from clicking on your sims 4 game folder where you will find your mods, custom music, etc.

Documents>Electronic Arts>The Sims 4.old

3. Run your game. It will go through the motions and start a new The Sims 4 folder . NOTHING will be deleted until you exit your game, go to your Electronic Arts folder and delete the old game (ONLY THE FOLDER WITH THE .OLD extension, NOT YOUR ELECTRONIC ARTS FOLDER).

4. Run your game again - How long does it load? Go through your gameplay options and set the parameters for what you want, and enable script mods. Look at what the game has enabled for your in-game settings on your hp.

NOTE: This suggestion does NOT un-install or re-install the game for you. It simply creates a fresh sims4 game folder without having to un-install or re-install, and it should work well for you. If, for any reason, I am not clear on how to do this, please ask.

5. In the other thread, I asked about your lastexception file. It is a text document that will give you an idea of problems within your game - and is created every time a mod or script does not naturally progress. If you can save that and post it, that would be a potential help.

6. Also, what type of script files do you have? Mods that I have had a problem with (and I have spent HOURS on this, so I am trying to help you enjoy you get past this.)
a. default eyes (Aveira's no 6 for some reason especially)
b. custom traits made every sim in my town freeze (creepy) while my game still ran. Even though it was not every single custom trait, I decided I could live without them.
c. Mods that are not updated with every flippin' EA patch, especially package files that also require script files, or zip folders with python.
d. Mods based on limited time events (like the Jasmine ones, or the sugar skulls ones) - they interfered with the gameplay I enjoy most (collecting & gardening).

If you are a somewhat intermediate user, I would recommend Sims 4 Studio. You sign up and download the software - it is really user friendly and so amazing. It can run batch updates on your game mods to make them compatible with packs and patches. It really is a must - and can also help you properly categorize things that can make your game nuts, especially hairs that are categorized for toddlers that are NOT supposed to be.

As you use Sims 4 Studio, pay attention to how the program reacts to your mods as well. I have found (in Sims 2 and Sims 3 as well), that if the programs built to check and organize those files do not like your mods, there will be heartache, so just delete those mods.

Lastly, lets get to mods. Yes, merging them can be a game breaker, so I would not do that - the exception being say, a lipstick by one creator that has ten swatches - I generally do not mix files just to merge them, so just say no to that.

Except for MC Command Center files by Deaderpool, you can also use Bulk Rename Utility to take out characters from file names, like _, - , &, etc.

Here are some programs to make your life easier:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=546572 - Mod Conflict Detector. Simple, quick.

http://luniversims.com/files/file/7...-tray-importer/ - Sims 4 tray importer. Say you are in-game and content just does not look good - create a crap sim or crap house, SAVE the sim or house to your library, exit the game then use the importer to see what content it is that doesn't look good (and only do the crap content, as good content you leave on the sim or house will show as well and you may be really unhappy you deleted it, although you can use Sims 4 studio to confirm visually).

MC Command Center by deaderpool https://deaderpoolmc.tumblr.com/

As always, you can do the dreaded 50/50 method. Just make sure that your package/script pairs are together when you do this. I find most build mode items the least offensive, and CAS and script files the most annoying.

I hope this helps. Please keep us updated. Please continue to ask questions.

Regarding the lastException files, I couldn't understand what mod/script the files were mentioning (I also deleted those -_-). I have quite a few script files: A daily save .pyo, Road to fame, Cannibal Mod script, Cursed Painting script, Extreme Violence script,Drug mod script, some Wicked Whims scripts, MC DeaderPool script, etc. All in all, I have almost 3500 (without compressing them). Even when I compressed them, nothing helped & I don't know if it's just my laptop being an asshole.

Also, I'm a sucker for custom traits & default/replacement eyes/hair colors. So there's quite a few of those, never had any problem with those or anything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 4:57 AM
I'm getting somewhere with my game: I made two exact copies of my mods (saved onto a thumbdrive) & I put in a few hundred mods at a time, after each mod transfer, I'd test the game & IT DIDN'T FREEZE UP!!! :DD Gonna keep dong this until I figure what may have caused the lack of response. I have a hunch it was probably the tray files, since they were transferred from a Mac to PC & possibly because the tray files were from a Sims game that was deleted a long time ago
Forum Resident
#8 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 5:58 AM
okay, I did laugh about the cursed painting. that mod freaks me out to no end, but I did watch the video. honestly, I think that sometimes, some combination of something just is the perfect storm of nonsense. unless you keep track of every tuning mod that may conflict with something (and creators are honest about that, I give them props), you go on a frenzy spree and the next thing you know.... The game seems a squeeeence bit more forgiving since the "early" days, but that lone wacky package file will get you eventually.

I am glad you are getting somewhere. What I do, when I get a fantastic mods folder, is: in my external backup drive I have everything backed up in individual folders: zipped files, all downloads, music, screenshots and photos of content, tray files, saves, and programs (like a backup of sims4studio, winrar, 7z, etc..). Then, I have a current game folder, which has the following subfolders: mods (only the ones I am currently playing), current saves, current tray files and current custom music. I constantly update my sub-folders, and add screenshots to the main folder. The only time I delete zipped folders is if they are horrific in my game or there is an update.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Oct 2017 at 9:05 PM
For future reference as much as mods get broken with the sims 4 merging them is definitely not a good idea
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 1:15 AM
[QUOTE=pretenshus]For future reference as much as mods get broken with the sims 4 merging them is definitely not a good idea[/QUOTE

I can't figure out which ones are broken, I used the Mod Conflictor program but none of them are broken, just game modifiers & duplicates (which I deleted). Still not getting anywhere at the moment
Forum Resident
#11 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 2:25 AM
let's try something different

What about the parameters of your computer vs. how your game options are ticked? I.e., your graphics card installed in your computer may not be able to handle the options you have checked if you have manually changed them. What about RAM? What OS are you running? Do you regularly clean your computer's cache (not talking about game's cache)? How about what other programs are running at the same time?

How about script/package mods combinations? remove them. Only keep package files in your game.

STOP MERGING. Merging really is tricky with 4. I tried it, happiness was not mine.

If you are not able to play your game even with the MODS folder removed - it may be an issue with your puter.

Also remove your TRAY folder.

Did you start a new game by renaming your Sims 4 game with the .old extension?

Help a sista out and give me an idea of what specific mods you got.

Also, you don't have sub-folders in sub-folders in sub-folders and you get the idea......

p.s. maybe it's that cursed painting.. (that thing scares me)
dodgy builder
#12 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 10:53 AM
You should separate your mods into game changing mods and just cas items. Those who are still mods then has to be checked where you originally got them. Have there been an update, in that case they should be replaced. If people say it no longer works, you should remove it for the time being.

This is what you really should be doing, so having too game changing mods are not a good idea.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
let's try something different

What about the parameters of your computer vs. how your game options are ticked? I.e., your graphics card installed in your computer may not be able to handle the options you have checked if you have manually changed them. What about RAM? What OS are you running? Do you regularly clean your computer's cache (not talking about game's cache)? How about what other programs are running at the same time?

How about script/package mods combinations? remove them. Only keep package files in your game.

STOP MERGING. Merging really is tricky with 4. I tried it, happiness was not mine.

If you are not able to play your game even with the MODS folder removed - it may be an issue with your puter.

Also remove your TRAY folder.

Did you start a new game by renaming your Sims 4 game with the .old extension?

Help a sista out and give me an idea of what specific mods you got.

Also, you don't have sub-folders in sub-folders in sub-folders and you get the idea......

p.s. maybe it's that cursed painting.. (that thing scares me)

I FINALLY GOT MY GAME WORKING!! It was a series of paintings & set of shirts that caused the game to not respond. I didn't really need them or anything, thanks so much for everyone's help!
Forum Resident
#14 Old 27th Oct 2017 at 9:38 PM
Yay!

In the future, may I suggest that any new mods you put in your game go into a subfolder (like a quarantine folder) that, once you have not only run the game, but played it for a while - then move those to your main folder.

Second, please keep in mind (this caused me hours of heartache) that sometimes EA patches, content updates and stuff packs, make some content obsolete, unusable or batshizzz crazy. Check MTS threads, SimsCommunity, or Sims.com every time there is a major update as the members post content that is giving them grief.

again, YAY!!