Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 4:12 AM Last edited by attuned : 30th Jun 2016 at 11:24 PM.
Default Share your WIP
Hi all
I am having a go at a modern style home, even though it is not my forte. I am not sure about the roof over the garage. It seems to need... I don't know, something...

Also, the bookcases in this bedroom are giving me a problem. The one on the right can be accessed just fine. The one on the left causes the sim to a have routing failure. The only difference I can see is that the door from the outside opens to the left. Is that the problem? I tried leaving only the middle door, and replacing the 2 on the sides with windows but that didn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 5:10 AM
Can't help with the second problem, not knowing how TS3 handles such things, but as to the first one, it just needs to be broken up somehow. My first and simplest thought would just be to put solar panels up there, if TS3 has them... if not, just some slight architectural detailing that breaks up the long straight line that's there now could make a huge difference.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
dodgy builder
#3 Old 15th Jun 2016 at 8:49 AM
I would just move the left side of the garage out so it meets the edge by the entrance door. Just so the lines all meet. Then I would give that platform thing on the roof some sort of modern feature, like a lighter color or something. I would bother you with the roof on top of the second floor glass feature. I would take that out somewhat. I made a house with such a roof look and had to live with the regret

On the routing issue ... can't your sim access that bookcase, or is it just something illusive she's bothered about? Sometimes routing can't be helped, but you could try extending the floor on that side to see if it helps. The game isn't symmetrical or logical lot of the time.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 12:58 AM
Two builders whose work I most admire stopping by to help me. Thank you! This made my day!

@Volvenom Thanks for mentioning the roof on the second level. You are absolutely right. I reworked that level, changing the proportions, adding all the windows, and I never went back to revisit the roof. It doesn't work at all and I will be deleting that foundation roof ASAP. As for the garage, I am not sure I understand what you are saying. Do you mean move the part of the garage near the mailbox, so it is closer to the grey stone path, and at more of a diagonal to where it meets the entrance? Thanks!
dodgy builder
#5 Old 16th Jun 2016 at 8:35 AM
There is many ways to fix that wall. I was thinking just taking it one tile out as you say, but now I wonder if you could make that wall higher than the ceiling as well ... just to make a feature out of it. Just my little input. You're so lovely attuned
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 4:31 AM
Okay, some changes to the garage. I made it one tile wider so the columns were in line. Then I made it two tiles shorter so it was more proportional.
I am showing you four versions of the roof. Let me know what you think- Thanks!!!
Pink platform
Pink platform with half wall
Half wall painted same shade as main house
Half wall painted lighter shade
Screenshots
dodgy builder
#7 Old 17th Jun 2016 at 10:58 AM
I like the two last ones the best, because the nails on the plattform bugs me.

On color I would probably prefer the darker color, mainly because of the light shade you use. Fence is ok.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2016 at 3:47 AM Last edited by attuned : 19th Jun 2016 at 6:13 AM.
Okay, hopefully my last two designs. I took the grey stone path out and extended the stone from the driveway, which I think makes more sense.
First is a platform roof, colored dark to minimize the nails.
Second is half wall roof in a medium beige.
Takk!

Edit to add: Maybe a low fence around the perimeter of the garage roof? I'll have to try it when I open my game.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 20th Jun 2016 at 4:07 AM
Yes, monorail fence?
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jun 2016 at 12:40 AM
Thank you, Zarathustra and Volvenom, for helping me rethink the concept and find a choice I am happy with. :lovestruc