Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 1:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Imposter Xim
Hey guys, I've been playing Strangetown lately. Three families ago, I played Kelly, and moved in with her, from the family bin, her boyfriend, Xim. I merged the households, played the lot for a week or so, then carried on with the next two households as usual.

That's when I noticed it. I can't say if it was there after the initial household merging of Xim and Kelly, but there he was.

Imposter Xim. Xim was still safely at home with Kelly. I even opened the lot up to double check. Yep. Right where I'd left him, skilling for his next promotion. But in the Family Bin - a second Xim.

I ..... what? Somehow the game made a copy of him? I don't understand? Where did this imposter Xim come from? More importantly, how do I get rid of him?

I know I"m not supposed to delete him from the Family Bin. But I don't want to interact with him at all until I know how to do it safely. Anyone seen this before? Do I need to restore my back up and play the last three Sim weeks again?

Thanks again, guys.
-jenn
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 11:51 PM
Very odd. Can the sim in the bin be placed onto a lot or perhaps he's a phantom. If you can place him onto a lot see if you can kill him with boolprop and then run hood checker. That's what I would do anyway.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Very odd. Can the sim in the bin be placed onto a lot or perhaps he's a phantom. If you can place him onto a lot see if you can kill him with boolprop and then run hood checker. That's what I would do anyway.

Curiouser and curiouser. I moved Invader Xim onto an empty lot. The game loaded up the house, the animation with the cab played. Taxi pulled away to reveal

an empty lot. No one was there. After the animation, the lot was loaded as if I'd clicked an empty lot to build on it. I saved and exited to neighborhood, where Invader Xim proudly stands on the name tab above his empty house.

Meanwhile, I went to check on Original Flavor Xim, and he's still fine and dandy where I left him.

I think I'm going to bulldoze Invader Xim and his empty house. At least he's not in the Family Bin anymore?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 2:29 AM
Alright, so I moved invisible imposter Xim around a few times until finally in a house, he showed up. He as playable had all his "new" memories and was even sporting his new look of Original Xim.

I moved the occupied lot with Imposter Xim into the family bin and deleted the occupied house. I know that was probably wrong, but I didn't know how else to get rid of him.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 10:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by willow_kidd
I moved the occupied lot with Imposter Xim into the family bin and deleted the occupied house. I know that was probably wrong, but I didn't know how else to get rid of him.

Moving an occupied lot into the bin causes neighborhood corruption.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Moving an occupied lot into the bin causes neighborhood corruption.

Yeah ... but I didn't know what else to do with a whole extra sim. Besides, I'm sure other stuff my family did over the years did far worse.
Instructor
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 6:25 PM
You could have followed Joanandsarah's suggestion to kill him off w/boolpropl
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 3rd Aug 2020 at 10:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by willow_kidd
Alright, so I moved invisible imposter Xim around a few times until finally in a house, he showed up. He as playable had all his "new" memories and was even sporting his new look of Original Xim.

No no, don't move an occupied lot into the bin that causes corruption.

If the lot wasn't in live mode at all so that you had no option to use the bat box or kill I would have run hood checker next.

Hood corruption was probably already there because of this sim anyway but you just added to it. The end result of hood corruption is sims vanish, then the hood vanishes or stops loading. Corruption is misread data and like a book which has a line of gobbledegook isn't too bothersome, it spreads until it can't be read at all.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#9 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 11:47 PM
I would have just used SimSurgery and SimPE to give him a different identity.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 1:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I would have just used SimSurgery and SimPE to give him a different identity.

I don't have SimPE anymore. I had to install everything on a new computer recently and when I tried to download it, I seemed to have trouble finding it again.

But, accidentally good news, ... eh ... kind of. I get a do-over with Imposter Xim. And Fake Regan, who I also found a double of in my Family Bin.

I did a real stupid thing and moved an entirely unrelated family into the House Bin, instead of moving the family. So, I did a reinstall of that neighborhood anyway. Naturally, it was a save from /after/ the imposter sims showed up, so now I get a second chance to do something smarter with them.