Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Jul 2020 at 8:01 PM
Sims talk without introducing themselves to each other and it's driving me crazy!
Hi lovelies,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a mod that got sims to "meet" each other if they are just talking without manually introducing themselves. This is a feature in sims 2 and it's driving me nuts in sims 4 that I think some sims know each other but they don't!

If there isn't one already I'm finally ready to learn how to mod myself - does anyone have a link to any good resources for learning how to mod? After over a decade of lurking and downloading everything I possibly from everywhere I'm so willing to give back to the community!!!!

Thank you to any responders in advance! :D
Advertisement
Smeg Head
#2 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 10:11 PM Last edited by coolspear1 : 25th Jul 2020 at 10:51 PM.
Doing it DIY, you'll need to extract the tuning file -

"interactions.social.greeting_socials.greetings" - xml number - "16758792093156081948"

On that file is a long list of specific physical greeting types. For all manner of meeting and greeting possibilities between sims, occults, pets, you name it. Most are the annoying ones that get repeated to the point they drive you to insanity. Such as the spellcaster greeting. Yep, two spellcasters living together will keep doing this. Worse if they are sat down eating together, then they start talking, but have to get up to do the greeting first as it's stand only. Darn insane over and over, every frikken time they "meet" day after day. So I understand your annoyance at it all.

Simply remove any of those that annoy you. Save edited XML to package file, place in mods folder, and watch sims, - especially those who live together and should not be doing repeat physical greetings all the damn time - return to normal chatting at dinner table and such the like. Sanity restored.

Always check mod against patches in case Maxis add new greetings to list - that are more unique, less commonly repeated and as such are tolerable - such as the special jungle greeting for jungle only sims - or those adventurers who have learned the greeting. They're worth keeping, as how often are your sims exploring the jungle to meet and greet the natives? Not to the point of outright annoyance, surely?

Also, the physical greetings on that list are given weighted values, so if you wish to keep the greeting in existence, you could try lowering the weighted value to see if it reduces the repetitiveness in game. Worth a shot before obliterating it altogether, I guess.

There is a mod on MTS that does some of this, but very outdated and missing a lot of newer greeting from packs, - hence continue to annoy you in game or ones you do want to see don't exist on old mod - so I would not recommend it to anyone. Best to do a DIY version and regularly check against patches yourself.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 6:34 PM
Thank you so much! You are a gem - I better get digging