Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2018 at 1:48 AM
Default I'm kinda worried about gaming in general
I haven't played this game in a while, but I was reminded of these forums after witnessing the collective grief over Fallout 76. It got me thinking, I feel like I'm seeing more and more of this. Has this always been the case? I know people have always been sceptical over new games, but the scale at which I'm seeing people talk about their favorite franchises dying is mindblowing. I feel like this too. Primarily over Fallout, I said goodbye to the Sims a while ago, unfortunately.
But the Sims' decline makes me sadder than anything, and I feel silly for feeling that way over a game. I'm not heartbroken or anything, but there is something profoundly sad about seeing something you love slowly getting dumber and dumber until you voluntarily give up on it.
Do companies even have an incentive to make good games anymore? If people still buy it? Do you guys have any favorite franchises that are succumbing to a similar decline?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 3:58 AM Last edited by HarVee : 22nd Dec 2018 at 4:24 AM.
GTA, DmC, The Sims, and Elder Scrolls are on the decline.

Video Gaming nowadays is like a terminally ill patient with a family that refuses to pull the plug. And so the children have to keep grasping for air and peeing into a bag.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 5:26 AM
Sims 2 is still alive and well, with new CC coming out daily. If you have chosen to give up all sims games that is on you. Nobody is forcing anybody to move onto newer Sims games then saying "This is no good, now I have to give them all up." In fact, there are still Sims 1 players. Is PC gaming as good as it use to be? No, but so long as there are players there will be fandoms and content. I still play a game that came out in 1999 and I know others who play even older games on an emulator.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 12:41 PM
While I "love" your comment dar, the topic is about the current video game climate and how it will effect the future. Not about the past climate. And none is saying you can't go back to the past games if you don't enjoy current offerings. T'wasn't even up for discussion.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

#5 Old 22nd Dec 2018 at 9:56 PM
IMO it does seem like companies don't really care anymore. That and they don't even seem to be listening to their customers.

(I also think that gaming companies shouldn't make any new games until they revamp/update their older games. That'll definitely give them a good reminder of how they got where they are now.)

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Scholar
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2018 at 1:33 AM
Gaming companies see other companies rake in the big bucks with microtransactions for online games. So they try to copy that in one form or another and try to introduce a similar thing into a well established franchise. I am pretty sure that the mobile version of Diablo and Fallout 76 were developed for this. TS4 was originally planned as an online game too. Also, Bethesda was already going that direction with its creation club and paid mods. Anyway.I expect more monetization experiments wrapped within a poor installment of some franchise (aka Fallout 76).

What worries me more is how hype for a new big AAA game can be influenced so easily now by those big companies. Just give some popular streamers exclusive access to an early copy and put the rest under NDA. This was very obvious with Fallout 76. It took way too long for people to realise that it is just a very buggy empty shell of FO4. Fallout 76 made me go from liking Todd Howard to despising him. I don't easily hate a developer, but in hindsight I think he acted like a snakeoil salesman during those FO76 presentations.

On the bright side. Indie developers are thriving. Online distribution platforms like Steam mean they are not dependant on big publishers.
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Dec 2018 at 11:10 PM
As long as games are being played, they are part of the current video game climate. Sims 2 is still what I play the most. And I occasionally play even older games, like Civ II and Pharoah. My son has been playing World of Warcraft online for years. He occasionally plays other games but always returns to WOW. So I have to mostly agree with joandsarah77. Except that I think PC gaming IS as good as ever. At least it is for me.