Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Jul 2020 at 9:05 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 5th Jul 2020 at 1:35 AM.
Default Help with Seasonal Default Terrains - Brindleton Bay (Newbie)
I am working on modding Brindleton Bay's resources so in the Spring and Summer (and default) it is green. Of course, Brindleton Bay's default autumn slant is pretty and nice for those who are playing without Seasons, but for me with Seasons, I have actual Fall, so I want Spring and Summer to look proper.

I have some incredibly basic modding experience with Sims4Studio, where I have worked with swatches and editing plants that don't change with seasons to do so, so I had absolutely no trouble modding the world trees to be all green for Spring/Summer (the grasses are a little more complicated, I think, I'm getting to them).

Anyway, where I'm going here is that with the terrain. Brindleton Bay's default terrain is more autumn/winter colored, and Summer uses the same terrain color, which I want to change. The odd thing here is that Spring has a really nice green terrain which annoyingly turns to a more autumn/winter color for Summer. I want to take that green Spring terrain and have it in Summer as well, like in other worlds.

My understanding is that this might be beyond Sims4Studio, as I can't even seem to access default textures through S4S. Does anyone know anything? I do know that there is, of course, coding for it, and I have an idea where it is thanks to this topic from the official The Sims forum , but that stuff is beyond Sims4Studio so it doesn't make any sense to me.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 5:01 PM
You access the default textures through Game Cruiser, it's not beyond S4S. Tools > Game File Cruiser, copy one of the instances SimGuruModSquad lists in his spoiler for EP04, insert into the Instance box, filter by DST. If you can't find the textures you need in that list, it's either SGMS missed it when they were searching for the files, or it's being used by another world so is probably a different one in that list. Either option still requires you to dig through the files. You can type in EP04 in the box right above the results to filter to just that pack.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
My Discord | Twitter | Tumblr | Patreon
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 9:48 PM Last edited by bassoon_crazy : 5th Jul 2020 at 10:12 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
You access the default textures through Game Cruiser, it's not beyond S4S. Tools > Game File Cruiser, copy one of the instances SimGuruModSquad lists in his spoiler for EP04, insert into the Instance box, filter by DST. If you can't find the textures you need in that list, it's either SGMS missed it when they were searching for the files, or it's being used by another world so is probably a different one in that list. Either option still requires you to dig through the files. You can type in EP04 in the box right above the results to filter to just that pack.

Incredibly helpful, thank you!

I searched EP04 in the end and found 14 grass terrain files. 4 of them are present on the like posted by the SimGuruMod but oddly enough, some he listed are missing.

I found another one while doing searching for just the beginnings of each instance code:

0C6190828F08C3F5 - Very Dark Green
DEC1338187452F08 - Possible Summer/Default Terrain?
CFB5A19D32582C25 - Long(?) grass
CFB5A19D32582C27 - With brownish patches
A9AA4E492E0FEFF1 - Long? Otherwise, like the below.
A9AA4E492E0FEFF2 - Possible Summer/Default Terrain?
A9AA4E492E0FEFF3 - With brownish patches
D62EE7CEFFCA1006 - Darker/Browner
8DE8A5E272AfADF7 - Long?
73121B67A999AA99 - Dark

So what do I do with this information? I don't see any option to edit it in this view?

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
Field Researcher
#4 Old 5th Jul 2020 at 11:53 PM
Add the ones you want to change to a new package. Override by importing a new texture, via the import button on the bottom right. Save, test in game.

Creator Musings is a Sims 4 modder, poser/animator, and CC creator hangout server (though everyone is allowed) with a tutorial/resource directory, help channels, and mod/cc/sims 4 news channels!
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 12:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MizoreYukii
Add the ones you want to change to a new package. Override by importing a new texture, via the import button on the bottom right. Save, test in game.

Again thank you. I'm having trouble following this exactly, though.

When I'm on the Game File Cruiser I only see these three options: Batch Export, Export, Add to current package. Is it the third? I really don't know how to do a "new package".

Also, is there something special about DST files? I don't have the ability to use them in my PS, but I see online that I can convert JPG files to DST files. Will that work?

Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 1:48 AM
Tools > Create empty package or just hit "Add to current package" and it will create a new one for you. And no, there isn't. Save them as a PNG, not DDS.

Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 3:11 AM
Thank you, I think this you've helped me figure this out, but I'll update when I get through the testing of which changes what.

I did a more obvious sample to see if this would work, winter textures in Windenberg. During the winter grasses are very yellow where I live, so I thought it would be neat to get that in The Sims, and now I have it!

Incredible! =D Can't wait to work more on Brindleton Bay!

Field Researcher
#8 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 3:41 AM
Glad you got it working!

Scholar
Original Poster
#9 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 2:39 PM
I'm having success with Brindleton Bay, as well! Thank you.

The bulk (or all?) of the Default/Summer files seem to be the three A9AA4E492E0FEFF(x) files.

Thank you again! =)