Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 5:56 PM
SimPE HELP!!
i have installed SimPE and all the requirments needed but when i try to open the program it says:

"SimPE will shut down due to a unhandled Exception. Message: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation."

Does anybody know what went wrong and how to fix it.

Edit:

i tried to open 'Wizards of SimPE' and that says:

"WOS will shut down due to a unhandled Exception. Message: Font 'Verdana' does not support style 'regular'."

and i don't know how to fix that and i am using windows7 will that effect it?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 6:10 PM
You should ask for assistance on SimPE site, which is http://sims.ambertation.de
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 6:11 PM
ok i'll post on there as well
Site Helper
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 7:53 PM
Please bear in mind for future reference that ever since Sims 3 came out the SimPE site has been virtually dead. We usually end up recommending that people ask questions here where more people will see them and there is more likely to be someone who knows the answer. (And who isn't busy making tools for Sims 3.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 8:18 PM
this is more of like a question just to "Ghost" but will windows 7 effect the program from working in any way.
Site Helper
#6 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 8:42 PM
Knowing Microsoft, it should probably eventually be able to work properly, but you will probably have to figure out how to make it work.

It's one of the "dangerous" programs that Vista tried to protect you from by making you run with Administrator privileges under an Administrator account. (Since it modifies files that are not its own.) Since Windows 7 is based on Vista I would not be too surprised if there are some hoops that you have to jump through. We have already had one person having problems with memory access under Windows 7, which seemed to be solved after a suggestion to see about trying to find a way to give SimPE permission to modify external files. I don't know if that was what worked or not, though. I don't have Windows 7, so all I can do is guess.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2010 at 9:32 PM
W7 does not give SimPE any additional issues, I've been using it most of 2009. That error sounds something much more technical about SimPE that I don't know.

I personally use the manual install version I run from C:\Users\Lunie\Documents\Sims Stuffz\TS2 Tools. Basically it's in my Documents folder. I have no problems with UAC or permissions, either running the program or accessing the game files. I have the manual install because I also was running it on an external drive, and I wanted the app available over my network.

I'm not sure which files SimPE needs to modify that are not contained within that install folder? But it shouldn't be modifying your game files, whether on purpose or by accident.
Scholar
#8 Old 3rd Jan 2010 at 9:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Please bear in mind for future reference that ever since Sims 3 came out the SimPE site has been virtually dead. We usually end up recommending that people ask questions here where more people will see them and there is more likely to be someone who knows the answer. (And who isn't busy making tools for Sims 3.)

oops, I didn't know that. Will keep it it mind from now on
Field Researcher
#9 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 12:47 AM Last edited by ilikefishfood : 4th Jan 2010 at 3:14 AM. Reason: Added some info
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
I personally use the manual install version I run from C:\Users\Lunie\Documents\Sims Stuffz\TS2 Tools. Basically it's in my Documents folder. I have no problems with UAC or permissions, either running the program or accessing the game files. I have the manual install because I also was running it on an external drive, and I wanted the app available over my network.

HL, thank you for the advice! I just got a new bling-y comptuer with the so-far-as-I-can-tell, totally awesome Windows 7. But this evening I was slittting my wrists when I finally installed SimPE to find that not everything was displaying properly (I use the memory editor like it's going out of style!).

But I had installed the auto install version of SimPE with the M&G patch, but I followed your advice and downloaded the manual version, and tah dah! All is well, and SimPE is working as advertised. Didn't even need the M&G patch.

I am so relieved. A thousand thanks you's!

EDIT: Please note - make sure you run SimPE as an administrator(right click onthe application icon and you'll see the option) or you'll have problems in the neighbourhood browser feature and all it's related options.

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 12:35 PM
thank you all for your suggestions i hope they work. im going to try them now. lets hope it works. *fingers crossed*
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#11 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 3:44 PM
Keep in mind that running as admin will allow you to save over read only files so you could corrupt your game files. Which is why neighborhood browser probably gives an issue.

A better solution might be to take ownership and give your username full control over specific files/folders. Neighborhood files being one of them, since they are easily replaceable from your disks.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 3:53 PM
A better solution might be to take ownership and give your username full control over specific files/folders. Neighborhood files being one of them, since they are easily replaceable from your disks.

I'm the sole user, and I'm an administrator. What do you suggest? Should I set up a user account for myself with customized priviledges, and only log on as an admin for major things?

"If..." a TS2 epic about friendship, romance, break-ups, make-ups, misunderstandings, fights, quite a bit of silliness and a little bit of rock and roll."
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#13 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 5:16 PM
It seemed that you knew what you were doing with the neighborhood manager, and I honestly don't know what folder your editing files in. I've not used that in ages and then only barely. I just don't want someone to accidentally overwrite something in game files that can only be replaced by reinstalling.

Vista/W7 is weird, you may be an admin but you still don't have full control sometimes. Eventually I will figure it out, like when the next OS is released. LoL

A new account isn't necessary it's more pre-cautionary advice, check out this wiki page. Scroll down to addendum mics. It is for TS3 but the ownership of folders still applies. Basically you want the principle of least privileges to apply, give yourself full control in the folders you need and nothing more. If you give yourself ownership of the folder and all child folders you should be able to edit anything as necessary without needing to run as admin.

I had to do this in my Game/Bin since I have store stuff in there and I sometimes need to edit it.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3_Package_Files
Field Researcher
#14 Old 4th Jan 2010 at 7:46 PM
It seemed that you knew what you were doing with the neighborhood manager, and I honestly don't know what folder your editing files in. I've not used that in ages and then only barely. I just don't want someone to accidentally overwrite something in game files that can only be replaced by reinstalling.

Vista/W7 is weird, you may be an admin but you still don't have full control sometimes. Eventually I will figure it out, like when the next OS is released. LoL

A new account isn't necessary it's more pre-cautionary advice, check out this wiki page. Scroll down to addendum mics. It is for TS3 but the ownership of folders still applies. Basically you want the principle of least privileges to apply, give yourself full control in the folders you need and nothing more. If you give yourself ownership of the folder and all child folders you should be able to edit anything as necessary without needing to run as admin.

I had to do this in my Game/Bin since I have store stuff in there and I sometimes need to edit it.

http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...3_Package_Files

Thanks again HL. I'll proceed with caution. I mostly use neighbourhood editor to edit character files (memories, relationships etc).......nothing too risky. But I'll be careful. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain everything. I'm a big fan of your work by the way!

Test Subject
#15 Old 18th Jan 2010 at 3:48 AM
Note that if you get a popup that says something about Windows not thinking that a file was saved correctly, that gives the option to "Retry with recommended settings", that it seems to fix most of the save issues. Win 7 seems to be fairly good on this one, and so far I have not had any issues with future saves after letting Windows figure out the right way to allow the program to save.
Test Subject
#16 Old 24th Jan 2010 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ilikefishfood
I'm the sole user, and I'm an administrator. What do you suggest? Should I set up a user account for myself with customized priviledges, and only log on as an admin for major things?

In order to be the Administrator w/out any UAC popping up, you need to have the account "Administrator" to be active. By default, this account is disabled in Vista and Windows 7. To anyone that is having issues w/ the Sims 2 in Windows 7, get an upgrade to Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate. For free, you can download a Virtual environment of Windows XP. This should resolve all issues.