Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2008 at 9:15 AM Last edited by Chaosboy : 7th May 2008 at 9:16 AM. Reason: Typo =)
Default .3ds & Max files for sims2
Hi im failry new to forum type stuff

I have just got a heap of .3ds and Max files which my friend makes. Then i was thinking if i can get these files on Sims 2 appeaerently that didnt work

So i spent the last 3 days finding Freeware and converters so i can get it to work, But came up with nothing

So.. if Anyone can help me getting 3ds and max files to work on Sims 2 it would be greatful :D
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th May 2008 at 12:51 PM
I don't think there are converters for those. The only thing that reads those as far as I know is 3DS Max itself.

Bear in mind most things made for 3DS Max are high poly, and Sims 2 is a low poly game, so it probably isn't just a matter of converting the format, but also reducing the poly count. It's probably better to just remake the items from scratch than to try converting and reducing them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th May 2008 at 8:34 AM
kk Thnx ..

I'll see if i can do that =)
Test Subject
#4 Old 18th May 2008 at 7:32 AM
So I guess reversed process is also not possible, I mean converting Sims 2 stuff into .3ds and Max files?
Instructor
#5 Old 18th May 2008 at 12:37 PM
Sure it is - export from GMDC to 3ds format is available for long time.
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th May 2008 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
Sure it is - export from GMDC to 3ds format is available for long time.

Can I just ask how?
Instructor
#7 Old 19th May 2008 at 5:50 AM
Look at a basic tutorial for the type of meshes that you are interested in (i.e. object creation tutorial for objects), and follow it until the step 'Export from SimPE'. On that step, export is usually made to obj format - and you need to export in 3ds.
Test Subject
#8 Old 20th May 2008 at 12:43 PM
Thanks Jasana, I've been following the tutorial but still can't go over a certain step in SimPE. I've come to a point when tutorial tells me only to check the box “tabledining” as this is the actual cloned table mesh I will need to export - and they show it on picture lower

But the problem is in my SimPE program I don't have that box but I have all the other I 'don't need'. See on picture

So what do I do? Is it maybe because I have newer version of SimPE than those which were used in the tutorial?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#9 Old 20th May 2008 at 1:11 PM
Thats a pretty serious missing part since it contains the actual object itself. Is this something that you imported yourself, or a custom object?

This is not a "new SimPE" issue - it's an issue with the actual GMDC you are looking at.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#10 Old 21st May 2008 at 7:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Thats a pretty serious missing part since it contains the actual object itself. Is this something that you imported yourself, or a custom object?

It's an object I downloaded from the download section. Picard's table in .package extension.
Instructor
#11 Old 21st May 2008 at 8:18 AM
The fun thing about Sims2 objects is that they are arranged differently, so you can't thoughtlessly follow a tutorial about different object, and obtain the same result as in tutorial. Try to pick the logic - where they look, and why.
In some objects, there are multiple GMDCs - it may be true for your object, too - one contains shadows and another contains the table itself. Is it the case?
Since some addon, it's possible to reference mesh from another package - I doubt it's widely used, but it's also an option.
Without a link at the thread with table, it's hard to tell how this particular table differs from others - you see, Downloads section is huge 8-)
Test Subject
#12 Old 21st May 2008 at 10:36 AM
The link is http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=273839

And file is Picard Coffee Table.rar
Instructor
#13 Old 21st May 2008 at 11:07 AM
As I said, some objects have multiple GMDCs - and this one, too.
tablecoffeecentralasian-[jasonduskey3-16.2.2008-162d28]_tslocator_gmdc contains shadows, tablecoffeecentralasian-[jasonduskey3-16.2.2008-162d28]_root_rot_gmdc contains actual table - consisting of 2 subsets, 'asianwood' and 'reflect' - that's what you want to export.

Keep in mind, though - since it's a custom object, you would need its author's permission to do something with it (like, say, export to Max, and then use for any other projects; well, if you'd export Maxis/EA meshes, you would need their permission, too - and it's unlikely to have). It's one thing if you want to export a mesh as reference to create your own, or, say, recreate a scene from game in some 3D editor to make a better shot for a sims story - and it's completely different if you want to modify someone else's mesh, or use it for something unrelated to Sims.
Test Subject
#14 Old 21st May 2008 at 12:49 PM
OK, thanks Jasana_BugBreeder you really helped me

Don't worry about it I don't have big plans with it, I just used the table for converting practice.
Test Subject
#15 Old 3rd Jun 2009 at 7:51 PM
How do I convert files that are .sims2pack files, because when I open them there is no visible “Geometric Data Container" under Resource Tree? For instance like this dog
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=226138

I'm only asking for practicing purpose.
Test Subject
#16 Old 5th Sep 2009 at 11:09 AM
i use 3d max as well and you can import obj files easily, what i need help with is getting the .obj file out of the sims, so i have a size referance to work with, the main issues with emporting file from 3ds max is that they appear to be giant, all files are resized when brought into 3ds, there is know way to fix this unless you use a mediator program like poser then you can use the objection mover to resize back to original you can get that here http://www.sandylodge.demon.co.uk/html/utilities.html
hope this is usefull

Hail Eris goddess of discord
Test Subject
#17 Old 30th Dec 2009 at 2:05 AM
Default 3dsmax sizes
i just started creating, a little late in the game i know but i use 3dsmax and the size of sims2 objects can be adjusted by setting yor grid to inches. Sims2 grid is 1"x1" and walls are 3" high. You can resize you .3ds objects with this in mind. Hope this helps.

jjaxis