Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 4:54 AM
Default Inconsistent fade distances
After getting Sims 2's graphics setup to use max settings, show all neighborhood decorations, and maximize the fade distance, I'm still having some weird issues.

I've added these to my userStartup.cheat file:

uintProp lotSkirtSizeIncrease 200
boolprop dontMergeNHFlora false
uintProp neighborhoodPropFadeDistance 200

Here's how things look in live mode. For the most part looks great:

Buuut, the second I hit tab and go into CameraManMode:

The distance inexplicably reduces.

I also noticed that it's not just when I go into CameraManMode; scrolling in and out also seems to effect the draw distance greatly.

If I scroll in as far as I can go, the mountains are gone:

But if I scroll out further (as far as I can while still being at an angle that can see the mountains):

The mountains start to pop back in.

Are there any other settings I need to change to make the draw distances more consistent? I realize these are pretty trivial things as far as gameplay goes, but I primarily use The Sims 2 for movie making and the particular set I have right now is an important one for what I'm making and I would like the distant mountains to always remain visible, especially if I'm in CameraManMode.

My camera files for both FirstPersonCamera and LiveCamera have the following applicable settings:
setparam objectFadeDistance 0
setparam objectFadeFalloff 0
setparam objectFadeAllObjects 0
setparam objectFadeCineCam 0

I'm using the Ultimate Collection.

Computer Specs:
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200MHZ
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 29th Jun 2020 at 2:53 PM
Have you turned "Fade Distance" off in your Options settings? This should work with neighborhood deco. I'm not sure whether it will have any effect on terrain features, but it can't hurt to try.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 1:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
Have you turned "Fade Distance" off in your Options settings? This should work with neighborhood deco. I'm not sure whether it will have any effect on terrain features, but it can't hurt to try.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it effects the terrain itself. I do have it set to off, but the terrain itself still disappears. Deco's don't though, I put a bunch of trees on top of the mountains and even when the mountains fade the trees remain floating in the air.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 3:47 AM
That's odd. I haven't used those cheats you mentioned, although I think I may have heard somewhere that lotSkirtSizeIncrease might be buggy.

Have you considered using a horizon to provide your mountains? Since horizons are neighborhood deco, you wouldn't have to worry about them fading out on you like the terrain hills. My favorites are these by Greatcheesecakepersona.
https://greatcheesecakepersona.tumb...4042017-see-the
Forum Resident
#5 Old 30th Jun 2020 at 6:46 AM
Try a value of 120 for lotSkirtSizeIncrease and see what that does. That's the value I've seen others use the most.