Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 8:56 PM
Default A great, overlooked PC Sim/Tycoon game that barely gets any recognition anymore :(

I love this game, for years It was my favorite PC game behind TS2, TS3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3. What you basically do is manage your own movie studio, take care of movie stars that YOU make, AND not only that but you can also make your own machinima! I love the game and I still play it to this day. It's kind of like Sims, but less about life and more about making movies.
But the game does have some flaws though, the 3d animation is so badly aliased even on high quality, and installing third-party content is very confusing and complicated because The Movies dosen't have these little bundles of joy called "package files." You have to make the texture, config...etc files yourself and if the outfit is based on a pre-existing outfit, like if it already has four colors available (v01,v02,v03,v04) you have to number the textures v05, v06, v07....and so on, and if you forget, it automatically overwrites the other one.

The game came out in 2005, and its popularity nosedived after 2008. After TMO (The Movies Online) No one seemed to care about it anymore. There are some independent sites like TheMoviesUnderground and 8eyedbaby that make movies and custom costumes and sets...but it seems like no one even knows about the game anymore and its sad. Hopefully mentioning it here will breathe some life into what was supposed to be a game like Sims. I would love Lionhead Intl. to make a Movies 2, but I doubt that will ever happen, like Zoo Tycoon 3 or Roller Coaster Tycoon 4.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 10:16 PM
I've never even heard of it. Sounds like it could be fun, the reviewer rated it pretty highly at Gamespot. http://www.gamespot.com/the-movies/...review-6139475/
Only $7.95 at Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/The-Movies-Pc...ords=the+movies
User reviews look mostly good, a reviewer mentioned the sims are really ugly, but they look pretty decent to me, at least in the screenshots. Another reviewer says it has trouble with anything higher than 800x600 resolution, is that true?

Resident wet blanket.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2012 at 11:03 PM
I have to say I found this game very dull - I guess I never really got it.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 10:49 AM
I bought this game years ago, dabbled in it a bit but never got around to doing anything beyond making my first, very bad, silent movie and then forgot all about it. I think I felt the gameplay was a bit too much of a grind at the time. But recently I came across a good Let's Play of it on YouTube that makes it look quite fun if you know what you're doing, and almost makes me feel motivated to try again - if anyone's interested in seeing what the gameplay looks like, the Let's Play starts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do82QD2Doj0
Inventor
#5 Old 11th Oct 2012 at 12:34 PM
It was a two-tiered game. On one side, it was a typical tycoon grinder of the time, although with some nice twists; and then there was movie making. I went through it two or three times and then I got tired of the grind; I started cheating in a big way and just concentrated on movies. Finally I made everything I could think of and abandoned the game. It was a good experience, however, and I would recommend The Movies to anybody interested in its subject.

An interesting note: recently I watched Peter Molyneux, the author of the game, presenting his new black cube thing; at the beginning, he enumerated all of his old triumphs (and he made quite a few great games) *but* The Movies. I guess he considers it a flop, not to be mentioned. As a matter of fact, it made quite a splash when it was released, but the sales were disappointing. I could never understand why.
Scholar
#6 Old 12th Oct 2012 at 1:14 AM Last edited by frankokomando : 12th Oct 2012 at 1:15 AM. Reason: My smiley face didn't work. :\
I have this game. The movies I always made got bad reviews from the movie critics in the game. I personally think an axe murderer dressed up like a chicken with random fart sounds at the most inappropriate times during the movie is great. But whatevski.
#7 Old 13th Oct 2012 at 1:56 AM
I didn't care about the bad graphics. About five years ago I enjoyed the game alot until my game became modern era. From classic Hollywood into modern age nowadays Hollywood. The gameplay itself was pretty much being repetitive. Many movies made in-game aren't supposed to be played by same actors over and over, or you would get low ratings / scores.

I moved my downloads to Simblr thebleedingwoodland
My newer quality downloads on my blog The Bleeding Woodland