Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Gunmod's Radiance Light System 2.4 *4/29/09*

by dDefinder Posted 27th Jun 2008 at 3:46 PM - Updated 29th Apr 2009 at 1:24 PM by dDefinder : to 2.4

556 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 481 Feedback Posts, 74 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 23
Test Subject
#2 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 7:36 PM
Truly Amazing...

If you have a request please explain it thoroughly! (At least one and a half paragraphs & supply the needed pictures / meshes, or else I will throw it away without looking at it and I will not "PM" you that I will not do it.)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:08 PM
Wow! The pictures, which compare maxis and radiance light system are absolutely stunning!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 8:47 PM
ydfz - I haven't noticed that any more than normal... It's normal to have some gradient. Might be worse with certain graphics cards though. As an example, I took this pic earlier today, without this mod. You can see the lines between different wall sections pretty clearly there.

dDefinder - This seriously kicks ass. Like, major asskicking of joy. I'm using it already and I'm loving it. I've had to switch some lights and take more care in choosing lights because some are way too bright and some are way too dim, but overall, it's great. One thing though - I've noticed sort of a "flicker" to plumbbobs, especially at sunset. They'll go bright and then dim every couple seconds. Also, a question - does snow still look weird during sunset with this? I know it did with Gunmod's old mod which is why I took it out. A small thing, I guess, but still a thing. But overall... wow... just... wow.
Screenshots

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 9:39 PM
Thank you for taking the time to update this hack. Never used it before but this time I might actually put it in my game. Pics look too pretty.

HP, that kind of gradient is not normal. You need to adjust the colour quality on the video card panel.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:15 PM
you know what? i've never tried any of these mods before...i think i'm gonna give it a go it sounds so cool! lol wish me luck...
retired moderator
#7 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:28 PM
crocobaura - Perfectly normal for me. Had it over three video cards, and my colours are very carefully adjusted as I draw in Photoshop and have to have true, accurate colours and contrast or stuff looks like mud. That particular pic maybe shows it a bit more than others because I had 1-tile ceiling lights laid out in a checkerboard as I was taking a bunch of pics of items over several tiles and needed decent lighting for it all, but I've always had that issue, despite having different cards and varying settings for all of them.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Space Pony
#8 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:36 PM
Ah, this is very neat.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 10:36 PM
I love these mods! Just in time for my re-install of the game.

*prays for no more crashes*

P.S.-Very nice home HystericalParox.

An Epic Victorian Saga unlike any ever made for the Sims 2. Jane Toland, an idealist woman struggles in the pious society that disdains her.

Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 11:37 PM
wooow!!!! i never had a mod like that in my game before...but this is just stunning!!! thank you sooo much!!!!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 3:09 AM
I.Love.You. This is awesome.

"I didn't lose my mind, it ran away and refuses to come home"
I am like an oreo cookie, sweet at first but I cause cavities.
I R A pirate. Arr!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 4:38 AM
Wow wierd... I was just thinking about requesting someone to update this mod a few days ago and then here it is O___O. This is awesome and I appreciate you taking the time to upload it.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:50 AM
Thank you so much for this! I love the way the lights look in my game now - but the best thing is that my game runs incredibly smooth now! There must have been something about the Maxis lighting that caused it to lag which is gone now! :D
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 10:45 AM
Okay, when I go to The Sims 2 [EP] /TSData folder I don't see a res folder there. There's only a control folder. Why is that?

"I can give you paradise." He said as he grabbed and kissed my right hand. I stared into his dark blue eyes and saw a deep blue ocean. The twinkle in his eyes were the stars. "YOU'RE my paradise", I replied.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 3:14 PM Last edited by dDefinder : 28th Jun 2008 at 3:36 PM.
Update Quick Fix: Only the Sims 2 folder is needed update
--Increased Practical Lighting for overcast. (was not affecting objects on smaller windows)
--Minor reduction to overcast and winter lighting.
--Fix OFB using default lighting settings.

install notice: if you have H and M or IKEA the folder name in the zip couldn't read the (R) symbol and it replaced it with an r. It is recommended that you move the lights folder manually instead of extracting it.

@SimzLover08
Is it missing from your game files or from the zip? I haven't come across any empty folders in the zip.

@HystericalParoxysm
What are some specific lights that are too bright and dark?

I haven't notice any flickering with the plumbbobs. I'll keep on the look out for that.

The light snow texture does not get changed by global lighting on the lot. It seems to be following the color of the sky which is also unchangeable.

"High difficulty can lead to Phoenix Down addiction."
retired moderator
#16 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 3:50 PM
dDefinder - The ones I've noticed most being too bright are custom ones, so I won't bother you with those, but the ones being too dim that bug me the most are the outdoor post lights. You can see a couple of them out front on the walkway in the picture I posted. They don't seem to cast much of a glow at all and I have to use a heck of a lot more of them than I did before to get any sort of lighting at night. The flickering plumbbobs thing doesn't seem to be every sunset, also... I'm not sure what caused it the first time, but it's a minor thing.

The ModFather
retired moderator
#17 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 7:40 PM
Finally!!!! I was eagerly waiting for someone to continue GunMod's work!
I know there are other similar mods on other sites, but I don't like them because either they are not Seasons-compatible or they "betray" the original style of the Radiance.

I would like to include the Radiance 2.3 into the Scriptorium installer, if you agree: this would greatly help less experienced people and bypass some problems related to the (R) character in the installation paths.
Please tell me what you think about this.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 8:36 PM Last edited by HystericalParoxysm : 28th Jun 2008 at 10:05 PM.
YEAH, BABY, YEAH! Great job!

Sold my Soul for Rock 'n' Roll
Test Subject
#19 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 8:38 PM
dDefinder-- It's missing from my game files. That's pretty weird, huh?

"I can give you paradise." He said as he grabbed and kissed my right hand. I stared into his dark blue eyes and saw a deep blue ocean. The twinkle in his eyes were the stars. "YOU'RE my paradise", I replied.
Instructor
#20 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:39 PM
I would love it if it could be in with your scriptorium installer, Numenor. As I took one look at this & got totally confused. Yet I would love to have this mod in my game.
Zen

www.crystalgecko.co.uk

Never wake a sleeping Dragon...for you are small and crunchy and taste good with ketchup!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#21 Old 28th Jun 2008 at 9:51 PM Last edited by Numenor : 29th Jun 2008 at 12:07 AM.
Pretty weird indeed, simzLover; and it would be even weirder if your game could run at all, because the Res folder contains everything.
A silly guess: are you by chance browsing the Sims2 CD instead of the Program Files folder? In the CD, usually, the TSData contains only the Control subfolder (all the files are into the "compressed.zip"); but in Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 [EP]\TSData you should see Control, Res and Sys.

EDIT:
dDefinder - I have a couple of questions about the shaders, because I want to better understand how they work and the game compatibility.

1) The RLS-Shaders from Radiance 2.2 are compatible only with games that include Nightlife (or a newer EP/SP?), but DON'T include Seasons, correct?
What about, for example, if the game is just Base+Pets? It should be compatible, I guess, but I need a confirmation.

2) Putting the RLS-Shaders into the Downloads requires setting the "useShaders False"? As far as I could understand, the "useShaders True" actually means "use the Maxis built-in shaders, ignoring custom ones in the Downloads" (but I may be greatly wrong! )

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 12:28 AM
Has anyone wrote a step by step on how to install this..ive added mods before but this is just too confusing.

"Extract into the folders into ALL games that you have" doesn't even make sense.
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 1:12 AM
I have, in front of me on paper, a list of all the lights that this makes way too dim for me to use. And none of them are custom. Maybe it's something in my settings, but all of the lights from the stuff packs and most of them from different EPs hardly let off any light. I really like the way the lights that DO work correctly look, but I can't live with not being able to use most of my lights.

Middlemore-- extract the file you download here onto your desktop. In another window, go into "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES" there you will see a bunch of folders that each have the name of an EP or SP you have. Now go into the file that you downloaded here and go into the folder "The Sims 2." then go into "The Sims 2" from your program files. Double click on all of the folders in the downloaded file until you get to the "Lights" folder. In you program files directory, go through all the folders with the same names of the ones you had to go through to get to the "Lights" folder. Drag the "lights" folder from the downloaded file into the folder that houses the lights folder in your program files.

Do this with each EP and SP you have. (the SPs are in a dif. folder in the downloaded file -- just double click on the ___StuffPacks folder and do the same with these you did with your EPs.)

I really hope that all made sence. Contact me if you need help understanding that mumbo jumbo I wrote.
Test Subject
#24 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 6:29 AM
Numenor-- Silly and goofy me! LoL. Yeah.. I was looking in the CD instead of program files. Haha.. but now I know how to do it. Thanks for your help and thanks to dDefinder for this woderful hack!!

Test Subject
#25 Old 29th Jun 2008 at 6:37 AM
I'm having some technical difficulty with this. Specifically, during the daytime windows don't seem to register as light-emitting portals in my game. The light effects at night are great, but I have to keep all of my lights turned on or the houses are pitch black during daylight hours.

I'm also using the recommended Smarter Lights mod. I'm using all EPs through FT, most of the SPs, and a boatload of custom content (but no other lighting mods aside from Smarter - I think). Anyone have any ideas as to what my trouble could be...?
Page 1 of 23