Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
#26 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I know sometimes the Vertex ID stuff is important but I haven't set it on any of the hairs I've made and it's been fine.

The VertexID values are present in all of the hair meshes that have FVFItems: 8 in the comments, but not in any that have FVFItems: 7. But I don't think it is needed for hair to function, sometimes it is just there. Mostly it is the body meshes that depend on them.

The editor is designed to be useful for both hair and body meshes... I don't think we need to make two separate tools for VertexID and TagVal items. If a body mesh has VertexID field, it will be populated, if not, a default of 0 is used. In the case of most hair meshes, putting values in there will be ignored when you export anyway.

I saw a screenshot that tells me some systems are laying the buttons on the window spread too far apart. Doggone Winderz, it's probably related to the DPI being set at 120 versus the default 96. I'll look at this.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 7:36 PM
Okay, I have followed the tutorial and I'm unsure of what to do after this?

Here you go:

:D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#28 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:21 PM
austinf4564 - I'm an idiot and wasn't seeing your pictures. My apologies.

You probably want to look at some basic Milkshape tutorials - there's some in its help files - to learn how to use it. This tutorial really isn't for absolute beginners, and you're going to need to have some basic knowledge of moving, scaling, and uv mapping in order to get this to work.

tomclinton - Okay... you probably also want the amface as well, and then you fit your hair (either one you've made or are converting) to fit that head.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:00 AM
okay, thank you, HP...but how do i get around making a brand new hair?
I know how to modify a current mesh but I am totally unsure how to just begin a new hairstyle from scratch using just this bald guys head...or do I just modify this balding guys hair into a new hairstyle...

I know how to select/move/scale etc. the mesh...(I've only had experience in modifying clothing and acessory meshes)

Sorry if I'm not making any sence to you :-/
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:03 AM
tomclinton - You might try some basic Milkshape tutorials as well. I know there's some in the help files. You'll need to learn how to create new planes and shape them as well as UV map them. You'll create new mesh parts to put on the head yourself.

You might be more comfortable modifying some existing hairs just to learn the ropes - making ponytails longer, shortening things, etc., just to wrap your head around things.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#31 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:14 AM
I got all the way done and the mesh was looking great , but then when I'm all done with DABOOBS and click generate, this is the message I get:

Do you have any idea what it is? And every time I click continue, it stops loading.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#32 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 12:54 AM
Click the Details button and paste what it says

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#33 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:21 AM
What the details say:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NotSupportedException: The given path's format is not supported.
at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CanonicalizePath(String path, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.Security.Util.StringExpressionSet.CreateListFromExpressions(String[] str, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.AddPathList(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathListOrig, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath, Boolean copyPathList)
at System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission..ctor(FileIOPermissionAccess access, AccessControlActions control, String[] pathList, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)
at HairMaker.Form1.button20_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4918 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DABOOBS
Assembly Version: 1.0.3494.36681
Win32 Version: 1.0.3494.36681
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kk/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EX00.629/DABOOBS.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
MadScience.Helpers
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kk/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EX00.629/MadScience.Helpers.DLL
Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kk/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EX00.629/Gibbed.Sims3.FileFormats.DLL
Gibbed.Helpers
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/kk/AppData/Local/Temp/Rar$EX00.629/Gibbed.Helpers.DLL
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4918 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:32 AM
Default Textures
Well, I basically don't know where to start creating dds' files (textures), cause I'm lost... There are many files I extracted on CTU, from am hair balding , but in each file name, there isn't anything to make easier recognizing each file/texture.. (main, scalp, face, and so on..) I'm using the Balding Am Hair's (the one hp use in the tutorial) textures... So, anyone please could explain how to recognize each texture? Is there some program else that label the textures itself?

Sorry, I'm annoying... :p
Instructor
#35 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 2:36 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question HP, but where do I find the example face/scalp/body file that you were referring to under the getting started section? The OBJ file, I mean.
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 2:48 AM
DJ - it is the Example Bodies and Faces listed in the required stuff at the top. IIRC, the link starts the download immediately, so if you already clicked it when you were going through the requirements, it should be in your download folder. You just need to extract it and put the folder wherever you want it, then Import->Wavefront Obj for each part.

Boredom is counterrevolutionary.
Instructor
#37 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 2:52 AM
Haha. I'd downloaded half of the stuff already so I just glanced through it. Guess I just missed that one.. =P! Sorry.

thanks Valencay. =)
Field Researcher
#38 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:58 AM
OK...so new problem (now that my brainfart of having the wrong version of Milkshape was corrected last night).

So as a practice run (and because I know absolutely jack about making my own meshes right now), I played around with converting a favorite Sims 2 hair mesh (the afro puffs), and I got to this:

Quote:
Now click on the Groups tab. Click the name of the original mesh (probably GEOM-00) and click Comments. Select everything in the comments box and copy it.

The problem is that I clicked on Comments on the original mesh, and there's nothing to copy because it's blank. Is that a problem or do I ignore?
Instructor
#39 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:13 AM Last edited by DJ_Mur3 : 27th Jul 2009 at 7:47 AM.
It's blank? Export it again from CTU. The geom mesh from the game should have the comments in it. The comments are rather lengthy and filled with numbers.

Ok. I'm confused.

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i...pg?t=1248675353

I'm not really sure how to make the hair's transparent parts show. Right now its all just a blob. Does the alpha file in DABOOBs have to be similar to the Sims 2 alpha? The black and white thing? I'm rather lost, to be honest. As of now, it's just a blank file. There's no image.

Also, it's like super shiny and very dark.

Here's what it looks like in-game.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i...pg?t=1248676824http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i...pg?t=1248677003

Any ideas?
Field Researcher
#40 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:25 AM
I suppose I need to use another base mesh then? It's the short afro, and yes, I extracted it again and still no comments.
Instructor
#41 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:37 AM
Oh, no. The comments come from the Sims 3 mesh, not the Sims 2 mesh. If that's what you're doing. You're converting a mesh, so you're exporting it as an OBJ file from SimPE, correct? I'm fairly certain those do -not- have comments. It's the file from CTU that does contain the mesh with the comments, the GEOM file. Even though you aren't really using that mesh, per say, you aren't editing it or whatever, it still has the comments you need to copy.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:41 AM
I'm going to go ahead and assume this is an issue with the plugins rather than anything I've done wrong, as I had zero issues following the tutorial (thank you, it was fantastic!), but... just in case...

All the vertices were set to 100% on bone 71. Like I said, I assume this is an issue like you had with the back of the Nouk Sport Hair?

you stare at my shoulders
are you surprised to see one more devil 
where angel wings should be..?
Field Researcher
#43 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 8:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DJ_Mur3
Oh, no. The comments come from the Sims 3 mesh, not the Sims 2 mesh. If that's what you're doing. You're converting a mesh, so you're exporting it as an OBJ file from SimPE, correct? I'm fairly certain those do -not- have comments. It's the file from CTU that does contain the mesh with the comments, the GEOM file. Even though you aren't really using that mesh, per say, you aren't editing it or whatever, it still has the comments you need to copy.

No, it's the Sims 3 mesh I'm talking about. I tried a few more just to see what would happen, and none of them had anything in the comments area (the very first one I messed with -- I was trying to shorten the long pigtails from S3 -- had the same issue, too, I noticed, but at the time, I didn't think anything of it). I exported over and over again. Hm...has Delphy put out a newer version of CTU by any chance?

ETA: Ah, yes. He has. I've got to get some sleep, so I'll have a go at it again when I wake up.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:41 PM Last edited by tomclinton : 27th Jul 2009 at 1:52 PM.
Woo, I am learning a loot here, I have taken Wes' tutorial on another site, and he has helpedme thoroughly!
I'm currently still in the middle of this tutorial, and I'vegot two questions,

1. I have deleted the afface and afscalp, but that leaves me with just the ONE group (GEOM-00 <no material>)...So why should I regroup? Or am I just making a copy?

2. When I click Vertex/Sims 3 Extra Data Tool my Milksape freezez, does this happen to anyone else?

This is an image of where I am:
Alchemist
#45 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 1:54 PM
Tom: Go to the MilkShape site, get the Mesa DLL package from the downloads area there and use them. On some machines, the Windows GDI and OpenGL do not always play well together because the graphics card driver has some arcane bug in it that no one seems to be able to find.

<* Wes *>

Lab Assistant
#46 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by WesHowe
Tom: Go to the MilkShape site, get the Mesa DLL package from the downloads area there and use them. On some machines, the Windows GDI and OpenGL do not always play well together because the graphics card driver has some arcane bug in it that no one seems to be able to find.

<* Wes *>

Wes, I've done that...Downloaded and installed to the mlkshape directory,
BUT, it's hard to explain,

This is a screenshot of my Sims 3 data tool:

As you can see there's two buttons on the bottom of the window and they have been cut off, I can click them both, but i do not know what they say, i dont now what I'm clicking...I presume one says 'save all' and the other says 'cancel'...which one says 'Save all'

And I have tried to resize the window, it doesnt work...
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:15 PM
The left one is Save All, and right one Cancel/Exit/whatever.. =)
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:56 PM
Thanks savio!

I've just completed the tutorial, and began the DABOOBS program to package the mesh and textures, for the textures tab I inputed 'key:00B2D882:00000000:5AC6E29A1785DFF3' for all of them, so it would use an existing texture, is this right or wrong?

To my knowledge, I am receiving an error message at the final stage of DABOOBS when I generate the hair mesh, below is an image of what it looks like:

Do you think it's something to do with how I created the meshes in milkshape or something? or maybe my textures?

I have also included a .rar file below that includes my 4 LOD.simgeom files, the .obj files...I was wondering if anyone could have a look over it to see where I've gone wrong...Thank you if you can, don't worry if you cannot

http://www.2shared.com/file/6869053...k_Mod_Hair.html (The download link is at the bottom - i should have also attached the .rar to this post...)

Sorry, if I'm bombarding you with questions...I just want to make sure I'm soing this correctly
Attached files:
File Type: rar  LongEarsBack Mod Hair.rar (362.8 KB, 25 downloads) - View custom content
Description: My 4 LOD simgeom files and obj files
Alchemist
#49 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tomclinton
As you can see there's two buttons on the bottom of the window and they have been cut off, I can click them both, but i do not know what they say, i dont now what I'm clicking...I presume one says 'save all' and the other says 'cancel'...

And I have tried to resize the window, it doesnt work...

OK, now I have seen that just yesterday. Of course, not on my machine, or it would be fixed. The two Buttons do say "Save all' and "Cancel", in that order.

I suspect it has something to do with either the DPI settings or the fontsize, or a Vista/XP difference or some other system setting that is scaling teh buttons differently than the window on your system. This is supposed to be standard windows dialog box stuff, but the standard apparently is not so standard.

I will be remaking that, maybe in a few days, with more real estate so the buttons will be properly accessable. Please limp along until I get it fixed.

<* Wes *>

Alchemist
#50 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by austinf4564
Will somebody please help us?

I will yell at you first, and maybe save you from being lashed at the mainmast by someone with less tolerance than I have.

There are some people that do things, but they still require rest. A few of them even have real lives, with wives and girlfriends. One of them had a birthday yesterday.

Since there are no paid staff personnel on duty (and people like me are not even staff here), you have to be a little patient and wait for the volunteers to show up. I am sure you are excited, and want to move on your project right now, but the message you posted is offensive to people that give of their time and feel treated like store clerks.

<* Wes *>

Page 2 of 25