Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Inventor
#26 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 7:52 AM
One thing I didn't realise for quite a while as a noob: is it's a good idea to make friends of work colleagues when you bring them home (for promotion). My original sim family would often just leave them to entertain themselves (mind you, the parents did have about 6 kids in the house to look after too). It also took me a while to realise out that the skills with the circle around them are meant to be the ones the sim are supposed to achieve in order to gain promotion. Doh!

It also took me a while to figure out the "Groups for outings/just for fun" thing, throwing great parties and having dream dates. All those things are easy-peasy now.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 4:39 PM
Surprisingly, I never did any of these things when I first started out. Instead, I spent the first few times playing just using money cheats and making huge, lavish mansions. Then after a few months, I realised it was also very fun to actually play the sims!

He's got an unhealthy interest in PlantSimism. You've been warned.

You know you've been playing TS2 since 2004 when you know some of the townies better than some people in real life...
Site Helper
#28 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 6:37 PM
My noviceness was in Sims 1, where a stove next to the fridge guaranteed a fire, especially if you A: had not yet gotten at least 3 points of cooking skill, and B: were hungry when you tried to cook.

So my hungry sim tried to make lunch for Bella Goth when she came by to welcome her to the neighborhood...

And I hadn't found the electronics section of the catalog yet, so no phone or fire alarm.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Forum Resident
#29 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 10:08 PM
Oh, this list could be long... If I'd remember something B)

Well, I wanted to try testingcheats one time when I had two sims I wanted to get married. I wanted to have my first wedding in-game. So, as they didn't know each other yet I used testingcheats with mailbox so that the male got to know everyone. And I mean everyone. All cats and dogs knew him also. I hadn't heard about teleporters, of course. Then, when they finally met I played with testingcheats again... This time I wanted to try to make them fall in love. And how did that work? The male got pregnant! As for my first weddings... They got married without ceremony, because that male was too big to fit into formals

I also didn't know at all what was happening, when I saw the first aspiration failure with Benjamin Long. I thought that the wife has to call someone for help when Ben started to do the chicken dance... and then I noticed, that therapist is there already but only the Ben could see him.

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Field Researcher
#30 Old 25th Apr 2010 at 11:45 PM
i remember in great detail, my first family

i made bob and vicki. I didnt realize they could start out married so they werent married

they fell in love and as soon as i felt they liked eachother enough to sleep in the same bed, i got a double bed and put it against the wall. Eventually i figured out what the preblem was and moved it. They teird for baby but i didnt know about the lullbay, so i had no idea if they were successful or not

they were, and they got engaged during her thrid trimester

i wanted to build a nursery, but the house was on a foundation. I didnt understand that. I finally figured it out, but half the foundation was that deck thing. i didnt know there was a way to delete it and replace it with regular foundation. the nursery didnt have a roof, but i didnt have saesons so that was ok

they had the kid, and it was a girl named Cam. one day i turned around and she was a toddler. Never saw it happen, she was just magically a toddler. I saw "teach to walk" i did it. That was her only toddler skill. Before she became a kid i had ebough sense to throw her a party. She grew up with short hair and a private school uniform. I didnt know how to fix that. i also thought that whatever i could find to fix that with would also let me make her face less putrid. it didnt

the parents got married in the living room. nobody watched because i didnt buy an arch. Vicki got pregnant again. Cam always came home from school with her fun in the red. Always. and energy. she NEVER did her homework, and the social worker threatened to come. one day the fridge ran out of food. The dad ordered some. it came, he paid, the mom started cooking. then she DIED. the pregnant woman was dying on the floor and her widower and child were just sobbing! i exited without saving. never played them again

www.thelongaliens.livejournal.com *updated 7-13-11* please leave a comment if you read it!
Scholar
#31 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 6:29 AM
I also did most of my super Noob stuff in TS1. My very first set of Sims were a disaster. He died in a tragic grill accident, I had no idea they could die so it was quite shocking. I sat there watching the grim reaper bit in fascination and then thought "hey, where'd my Sim go?" I had the complete set of all EP's as a starter which included Superstar. I got her an agent instead of a job.

No idea that she would need any skills or anything. She got so depressed all she would do is stand around and cry. So when the fatal grill accident happened she went into aspiration from depression and starved because she wouldn't eat.

Total fail all in less than a week if I remember correctly. I was much better prepared when I got TS2.
Site Helper
#32 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 5:05 PM
My Sims 2 families all started out with at least 8 points in Neat and Active because you needed that in Sims 1 to get toilets flushed and sims out of bed in the morning. (The crystal ball in sims 1 let you get the rest of the points up if you didn't want to play with the chemistry set or a mod.) That backfired once in Sims 1 when the house caught fire and my sim decided to shower in the middle of extinguishing his wife, and several times in Sims 2 with nasty tempered sims running around the neighborhood because I had run out of points before I got that far and there wasn't any way to add more points yet. Then I discovered that they flush toilets more often anyway, and even an active score of 0 will get up the first time you tell them to without spending the next two hours complaining. They're just slower.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jodemilo
Things I did as a noob... ooh I was so naive.

Probably the most regrettable thing was allowing my very first self sim to get engaged to that Abhijeet Deppiesse guy. What a plonker that guy is ("Plonker" is a Brit expression to describe men who don't have much going for them)

Woohooing with Joe Carr in a tiny Maxi's house that had no room for him to get in HIS side of the bed. ... that romance was doomed from the start. hehe

Managing to lose both of my first two self sims. Dunno what I did - but they just disappeared into a black hole never to be seen again. Oh well.. in retrospect they looked pretty lame. :P

No it isn't, it's British slang for the phallus.
#34 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 8:06 PM
I too started my Sims-playing with Sims 1 [where I don`t recall having done anything particularly Stoo-pid, but probably did have a few minor disasters] and was therefore better-prepared when I started playing Sims 2. I still made a bit of a Noobie error, though, setting up my First family with only a Teen, then adding her mother when CaF wouldn`t let me exit with only a Teen in the family, then setting them up on the largest empty lot available, causing them to run out of cash for needfulls. Consequently, they both died. A couple times each, if I remember correctly, thanks to Quit-Without-Saving. Without MaxMotives, it would have been *MANY* more times. Once I got them enough additional money [withOUT cheating for it] to buy enough of the bare essentials, I stopped using MaxMotives and haven`t used it since, except once [or mebby twice] when a pregnant Sim just could NOT cope with her Needs going red. After about a-year-and-a-half of Sims 2 Simming, those two Sims are still alive and well, thanks to heavy use of the Green Goo of Life. I now have enough active households in that neighborhood that it takes me a little over a month to play each household in rotation, and it is the only neighborhood that I actually *play*, currently, though certainly not the only one I *have*.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Forum Resident
#35 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 11:27 PM
I created a huge family and put them in that 3-story Pleasantview house. The kids got taken by the SW and the dad died. The social bunny and the Shrink came. I was so scared of the bunny and depressed that I quit w/out saving. I had no CC and my sims were ugly. I practically cried. (this was a while back)
Forum Resident
#36 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 5:07 AM
After my first CAS couple had their baby, I waited until she had grown up to a child before the couple had another baby. I thought I had to do this, because in Sims 1 you could only have one baby at a time.

I didn't realize that houses are a lot cheaper if you build them first, and THEN move a family in. Building a house from scratch with the family's money is....expensive.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 8:05 AM
I'm still a noob and thus still making the noob mistakes.

I managed to decimate a family of eight into a family of one in the space of a couple RL hours. Admittedly, one was moved out and one was murdered using the RDC. Doesn't make it any better.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:24 PM
It wasn't on a PC sim game. But my first sim game I ever played was The Sims for xbox or ps2 one or the other. And I got it and thought it was the neatest thing. I had my sim fall in love with this guy named Pierr or something and then come to find out, that you can't marry him. I was really upset because he kept sending me flowers and was a lot better looking then the guys there were to choose from.
Test Subject
#39 Old 28th Apr 2010 at 1:59 AM
Heh, I had Sims 1 back in the day, and I learned a lot about it from watching my friend play it before I got it. So I kinda missed out on the whole "what the heck is going on?!" phase =P Although no one did tell me that the pool needed a ladder for the sims to get out... Learned that lesson the hard way!

Also, sometime after getting Sims 2, my sister created a family with two parents and SIX toddlers... (She had been watching Jon and Kate Plus 8.) The nanny fainted and I think died =P I'm pretty sure she learned a valuable life lesson, there
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 6:40 PM
I was about seven and used to playing a crappy version of Sim City or something. My dad bought me TS1, and I loaded it up all excited. Then it started up, I thought 'what the hell am I supposed to do?' and quit. Played Sim City for another month or so, till Dad noticed I wasn't playing the new game and taught me how to use it :D
Field Researcher
#41 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 8:35 PM
I didn't realise that school sent your children's fun levels down. So constantly she would quit doing her homework. Then I would make her do the Smustle. Then I had to make her take a shower because her hygiene was in the toilet. Then I made her do her homework again, then her fun level would go into the red again.
She failed school and then the social worker took her away. D:
...then I learned about maxmotives. c:
Test Subject
#42 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 11:44 PM
My first Sims game was The Sims for PS2. One of the first things I did was put one of my Sims in the bathtub to see if they were actually naked. :')

My Sims soon died due to hunger.

By the time I got The Sims 2 for PC I was pretty much clued up about the game and how it works, so I didn't really have many "Noob Adventures".
Scholar
#43 Old 1st May 2010 at 12:37 AM
I thought "Aging off" was a sim-specific cheat (not lot-specific) so I entered it for every sim in the house to make them stop growing up. My female sim had her first baby but it was a baby for weeks and weeks. I'm not even kidding. The little message even popped up "this has been a good week!" with a baby saying it. Finally I did aging on for the mother hoping it would make her baby grow up and thankfully the message "how time flies, the baby will be a toddler tomorrow" came up the next day.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Mad Poster
#44 Old 1st May 2010 at 1:24 PM
when i was a total newbie, i downloaded things from thesimsresource.

haha, it's bad i know. another bad thing i did was accidentally let one of my pregnant sims die of hunger. i think it was my first pregnant sim, too.

i wasn't used to the sims 2 then.
Inventor
#45 Old 1st May 2010 at 3:36 PM
Trying to get one family's kids into private school about 4 times and failing every time.

In the end my sim was so fed up with the headmaster coming round and eating their food, using their hot tub etc only to end in yet ANOTHER rejection, she used "agesimscheat on" and turned him into a toddler just to get her own back.

Was quite funny at the time but the headmaster has yet to resurface in my game since this episode. I wonder why! hehe
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 1st May 2010 at 5:38 PM Last edited by Elvie : 6th May 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Oh, I also did numerous mistakes too!
1) I didn't know about cheats and my sims suffered of powerty
2) I ignored the bills and repoman came regularly
3) my kids didn't their homework because I never managed to see where they put that homework
4) I didn't know that you can delete sth like walls, fences, floors or stairs in the build mode, so I quit without saving or deleted the entire house just because of one wrongly built wall, lol!
5) I thought that "public woohoo" is woohooing when some other sims are watching the couple. One sim wanted a public woohoo desparately, so I invited her boyfriend and some neighbours, got the neighbours into the bedroom, where I made her and her BF busy in the bed, and wondered why she still had that wish. The neighbours reaction didn't surprise me, i expected sth. like that.
6) A VERY PERVERTED THING: I saw the same sim's want woohoo with 3 sims, and thought "How on Earth am I to make 3 sims make love simultaneously? Where is the option for this?"
7) I saw sims wants about buying stuff, and I bought it for them, but I didn't know that the points disappeared when you sell those things.
8) I thought it was good to make friends with the Social Bunny.
9) And, like many others, I built HUGE houses esp. after I discovered CC and downloaded a bunch of stuff for my game.
Scholar
#47 Old 1st May 2010 at 7:50 PM
I didn't know about shift. Or how to make the walls go up from the _/ view. So I would be trying to put paint on these teeny little walls at the bottom of the screen and getting paint on the outside of the house. I also built a half wall for the front of the house and couldn't get in the house because of no door.

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
- Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
tumblr
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:56 PM
I had a pregnant sim who I just couldn't make happy. So I decided to use that Career Reward thing.....and I FRIED the poor woman!!! In front of her hubbie!!!! I barely managed to get her into a bed, and I believe she hadn't recovered fully when the baby was born....and the BABY!!!! He was a demonspawn, I swear!!!
Forum Resident
#49 Old 1st May 2010 at 8:55 PM
I remember the first time sending my sims to restaurant...I didn't know that you are supposed to click the waiter and order, so I spend time wondering and talking to myself. In the end, my sims did learn how to steal food from townies! I also didn't know that when a couple is getting married, the sim who proposes marriage is the one who's last name they both are going to have (that is, without hacks). So when my first sim fell in love with Ben Long, it was her last name that was used...So Ben became Benjamin Pöllönen

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Test Subject
#50 Old 1st May 2010 at 10:02 PM
When I started i had a family of three a mom a dad and a toddler. I thought it would be funny to have the parents die and than have the kid live on its own. I figured out the hard way that doesnt work.
Page 2 of 43