Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2011 at 11:31 PM
Default Voices - Are you able to change them?
I'm just curious, as recently, I have made a single female sim on her own (I usually make big families), and after her meeting new people, I've noticed a difference in some sims voices.

For example, my sim's voice sounds sort of.. Croaky? I don't know if that's the right word, i don't know how to explain it. But one of my sim's friends has more of a clear voice, yet she is the same age as her. I was just wondering, if there was a way to change their voices or anything that sort of causes the sim's voice to sound like it does.

(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 2:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Skittlenut
I'm just curious, as recently, I have made a single female sim on her own (I usually make big families), and after her meeting new people, I've noticed a difference in some sims voices.

For example, my sim's voice sounds sort of.. Croaky? I don't know if that's the right word, i don't know how to explain it. But one of my sim's friends has more of a clear voice, yet she is the same age as her. I was just wondering, if there was a way to change their voices or anything that sort of causes the sim's voice to sound like it does.

(I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section by the way)

I've recently noticed something similar in my game too. Some of my female adult sims have slightly higher-pitched voices than others. I haven't really paid much attention to the male's voices though. I'd love to know what causes this too; it's actually pretty cool IMO.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 2:22 AM
can someone please record the problem you have? please include a link
Site Helper
#4 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:05 AM
I believe that you can use SimPE to change the voice. The field is in the Sim Description (SDSC) Plugin View in the Other tab under Misc. Sorry that I can't tell you the valid values for that field, but you should be able to copy the value for a voice that you like from another sim.

Be sure to backup first, in case something goes wrong.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:09 AM
Hmm...so theoretically, at least, people who are bothered by the sounds elders make, as expressed so often on here, could change the voices to something they preferred? Given how many people have said they dislike elder voices to the point that it's a major reason to dislike playing them, that'd be a mod worth perfecting!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:45 AM
As Mootilda said, you most certainly can change sims' voices by using SimPE. I have a notepad document with each of my main character's voice code so that if I need to recreate them, I can open SimPE up and bring up their character file and change the voice code. I have never come across two codes that are the same (that's not to say they might not sound the same or similar...but the actual code seems to vary wildly). I have done this for years, and I've personally never encountered any problems as a result of changing their voices (in fact, I've not had any troubles other than bugged lots due to bad cc...but that's another issue).

Of course, I too always make backups, just in case.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 12:20 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm terrible with stuff like that but I'll give SimPE a go i think

It just confuses me, I could understand if the sims were of different ages, but they are both adult females yet one has a slightly higher and clearer voice than my sim who's voice is a little deeper.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 1:14 PM
Have you ever noticed it depends on which astrological sign you choose for your Sim which voice they get? I noticed this years ago. I will give an example, note this is before BV, FT and AL which changed this forumla.

We all know Mr. Big, right? and his voice. If you make a male Sim with his same sign (Pisces or was it Gemini?) they have the same voice.

If you recall another male voice in game which is a little deeper and not as 'smooth' as the other voice actor's voice, used to be applied to the Taurus sign, etc.

I never paid much attention to the female voices. So, I don't know which sign had which voice.

However, after many people complained on the BBS at Sims2 site, this forumla of applying which voice to which Sim's sign was changed. It might have been as far back as when they released BV.

I guess EA decided just to mix it up a little, so now you can no longer depend on having a Pisces male Sim wind up with lets say Mr. Big's voice. And the deeper male voice always (I remember now always went to the Gemini male. Try it, if you don't have BV, FT or AL installed.

I am not sure if this info will help anyone when they look at this in SimPE but this was how it works before BV if you test it in your game.

Edit: I just wanted to add the reason I even noticed this years ago, was because the male voice actor in Sims2 that is applied to Pisces sign, and to Mr. Big...I have heard many, many times in other games I have played. His voice has been in all Sims games, too and was curious who this voice actor was,is? and why Pisces in the game always got this voice and so does Scorpio signs in game, if I remember correctly. But again not if you install BV or later EP.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by starryeyedSim
Have you ever noticed it depends on which astrological sign you choose for your Sim which voice they get? I noticed this years ago. I will give an example, note this is before BV, FT and AL which changed this forumla.

We all know Mr. Big, right? and his voice. If you make a male Sim with his same sign (Pisces or was it Gemini?) they have the same voice.

If you recall another male voice in game which is a little deeper and not as 'smooth' as the other voice actor's voice, used to be applied to the Taurus sign, etc.

I never paid much attention to the female voices. So, I don't know which sign had which voice.

However, after many people complained on the BBS at Sims2 site, this forumla of applying which voice to which Sim's sign was changed. It might have been as far back as when they released BV.

I guess EA decided just to mix it up a little, so now you can no longer depend on having a Pisces male Sim wind up with lets say Mr. Big's voice. And the deeper male voice always (I remember now always went to the Gemini male. Try it, if you don't have BV, FT or AL installed.

I am not sure if this info will help anyone when they look at this in SimPE but this was how it works before BV if you test it in your game.

Edit: I just wanted to add the reason I even noticed this years ago, was because the male voice actor in Sims2 that is applied to Pisces sign, and to Mr. Big...I have heard many, many times in other games I have played. His voice has been in all Sims games, too and was curious who this voice actor was,is? and why Pisces in the game always got this voice and so does Scorpio signs in game, if I remember correctly. But again not if you install BV or later EP.

Oh wow, thanks!
I wondered if it was something like that. I have all 3 EP's you mentioned, but I may create a test family with different astrological signs and test the voices out.

I'm scared to mess with anything in SimPE, I have no idea what to do haha. But thanks, I'll try something out
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 3:31 PM
Could somebody make a side-by-side comparison of the apparently different voices? Because I'm not seeing it. Well, hearing it. All voices sound alike to me, and it's not the first time I hear a reference to this, so I really don't know what to think. To be fair, though, I'm not very good at differencing things that sound very similar, but I would like to know if there really are different voices in the game.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nissun
Could somebody make a side-by-side comparison of the apparently different voices? Because I'm not seeing it. Well, hearing it. All voices sound alike to me, and it's not the first time I hear a reference to this, so I really don't know what to think. To be fair, though, I'm not very good at differencing things that sound very similar, but I would like to know if there really are different voices in the game.

Once I've made the 'test family', I shall try my best to somehow record it so you can see/hear the difference
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:25 PM

I'm curious about this too. I DO have a really good ear, and while I admit I haven't paid much attention, it's the sort of thing I'd think I'd notice.

Sometimes, though, I've wondered if people aren't confusing "different voices" with particular things sims might be saying. Certain phrases are said in a deeper voice, and others in a higher voice, which might foster an illusion that sims have different voices, when it's really just the player keying in on certain phrases for a particular sim.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
I'm curious about this too. I DO have a really good ear, and while I admit I haven't paid much attention, it's the sort of thing I'd think I'd notice.

Sometimes, though, I've wondered if people aren't confusing "different voices" with particular things sims might be saying. Certain phrases are said in a deeper voice, and others in a higher voice, which might foster an illusion that sims have different voices, when it's really just the player keying in on certain phrases for a particular sim.

I see what you mean by that, and I've noticed that too with the way sims say different things. Yet, what I mean really, is that some sims have a different type of voice, like I said I don't think 'croaky' is the right word, I'm not quite sure how to explain it..

The only way I can put it really is;
If you have TS3, you will know you can choose from 3 different voice types and change the pitch. (I'm talking about female sims this time, by the way)
I have noticed in TS2, some sims voices sound a bit like voice type 2 from TS3, and other sims sound more like voice type 3.

I hope that explanation is easier to understand, I'm not good with explaining things

I have just made a Test family, 4 males and 4 females, each female has a different astrological sign, but the males have the same as the females, e.g. there are 2 Aries sims, 1 male and 1 female.

I will test them out and post what I found out :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 4:43 PM
Sorry to post again - But does anyone have a suggestion on what I should make each sim do that makes them say the exact same thing? I've not really noticed, myself
Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:12 PM
It did occur that testing could be problematic without being able to make sims say certain things.

If it were me, I'd have them Hang Out, because the phrase "hoopty trib" tends to jump out at me when female sims are hanging out. You could see if different sims say that phrase differently. I've only ever heard it sound one way, though, regardless of what sim is saying it.
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:19 PM
I'm sorry, I'm terrible at this, but how do I attach an audio file to a post? Thanks
Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:28 PM
I hope you're not asking me, because I have no idea. :P
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 5:33 PM
Haha, anyone who reads this really. I filmed each sim 'Practicing Speech' in the mirror, then converted it to an .mp3 file as I thought it may be easier.. But maybe I'll make a video with all of them together, post it on youtube and just share the link.
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd Aug 2011 at 7:54 PM
Alright, I finally finished the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAhjfuCgZM

I only tested out 4 astrological signs, if you want to compare a different sign with a different sign and they weren't in the video, just say and I'll try and make a video of the test.

I'm sorry if it's a bit crappy - I didn't have a lot of time and it's only a basic test video
(Also excuse the youtube name, it's an old account that I only use for favouriting music )
Mad Poster
#20 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 12:01 AM Last edited by M.M.A.A. : 24th Aug 2011 at 12:30 AM.
if i were you, i wouldn't fix the voices, i wish mine where like yours, since i want my sims to have different voices. they are fine to me.
*i am not joking at all*
Mad Poster
#21 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 12:30 AM
Hmm. Still not convinced those are different "voices". The male voice, in particular, is quite obviously the same voice actor for each of those, and it really doesn't vary much.

The female voices vary a bit more (but are still obviously just one voice actor for all), but even though the Cancer voice is definitely higher, and the Capricorn lower and a bit husky, the Aries voice goes both into the high "Cancer" range AND the husky "Capricorn" range in her clip. So again, I believe it's what's being said that's higher or lower, regardless of the sim saying it.

The only way to prove differences for sure would be to have comparisons of different sims (personalities) each speaking the exact same things.

Something odd, though... I'm remembering now one time I had SimPE open, and there was some option somewhere about sims' voices. I got all excited, thinking I could have distinct voices for each sim, but the changes I made in SimPE didn't yield any noticeable results in-game.
[Edit: Ooops. I totally did not see Mootilda's earlier post about voices in SimPE before I posted this. I not much of a mind to test this (don't even have SimPE at the moment), but it sounds like further investigation via that route may be warranted.]

Finally, there's this - something I looked up as recently as several months to a year ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlish At first, I saw the two names (Stephen Kearin and Gerri Lawlor) of the creators of Simlish, and made the completely erroneous assumption those two did all the voice acting, but that was nonsense, of course. But still, this list of all the actors used in Sims 2 is pretty short, having only eleven names on it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386040/fullcredits

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find specific information about who did what voice(s), so the issue is by no means resolved. This much I'm virtually certain of:
Sim kids are done by one actor for both genders, and it's a female actor. (Not sure where I got that info, but it seemed solid at the time.)
YA's use the teen voices.

So, let's assume one actor for toddlers, one actor for kids, two actors for teens/YAs - one male, one female, and two for elders - one male, one female. That's six of the eleven right there, leaving five more that could, maybe, mean adult males and females are covered by more than one actor each.

I doubt it, though. Back to the sound clips, even allowing for some differences in pitch, I can only hear one female actor and one male actor. If that's the case, there are only three voices left. I bet Mrs. C is one of them, and there are bound to be other special NPCs with non-standard sim voices.

Of course, I realize each actor may have done more than one part, but I still need more convincing to believe different adult sims truly have different voices.
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Hmm. Still not convinced those are different "voices". The male voice, in particular, is quite obviously the same voice actor for each of those, and it really doesn't vary much.

The female voices vary a bit more (but are still obviously just one voice actor for all), but even though the Cancer voice is definitely higher, and the Capricorn lower and a bit husky, the Aries voice goes both into the high "Cancer" range AND the husky "Capricorn" range in her clip. So again, I believe it's what's being said that's higher or lower, regardless of the sim saying it.

The only way to prove differences for sure would be to have comparisons of different sims (personalities) each speaking the exact same things.

Something odd, though... I'm remembering now one time I had SimPE open, and there was some option somewhere about sims' voices. I got all excited, thinking I could have distinct voices for each sim, but the changes I made in SimPE didn't yield any noticeable results in-game.
[Edit: Ooops. I totally did not see Mootilda's earlier post about voices in SimPE before I posted this. I not much of a mind to test this (don't even have SimPE at the moment), but it sounds like further investigation via that route may be warranted.]

Finally, there's this - something I looked up as recently as several months to a year ago:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simlish At first, I saw the two names (Stephen Kearin and Gerri Lawlor) of the creators of Simlish, and made the completely erroneous assumption those two did all the voice acting, but that was nonsense, of course. But still, this list of all the actors used in Sims 2 is pretty short, having only eleven names on it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386040/fullcredits

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find specific information about who did what voice(s), so the issue is by no means resolved. This much I'm virtually certain of:
Sim kids are done by one actor for both genders, and it's a female actor. (Not sure where I got that info, but it seemed solid at the time.)
YA's use the teen voices.

So, let's assume one actor for toddlers, one actor for kids, two actors for teens/YAs - one male, one female, and two for elders - one male, one female. That's six of the eleven right there, leaving five more that could, maybe, mean adult males and females are covered by more than one actor each.

I doubt it, though. Back to the sound clips, even allowing for some differences in pitch, I can only hear one female actor and one male actor. If that's the case, there are only three voices left. I bet Mrs. C is one of them, and there are bound to be other special NPCs with non-standard sim voices.

Of course, I realize each actor may have done more than one part, but I still need more convincing to believe different adult sims truly have different voices.

I see where you're coming from, it may very well be the same voice actor for each astro sign, but I have only really noticed it with female sims, not so much male sims. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I do see some sort of difference in the voices.

And I know, I found it hard trying to think of something where each sim will say the same thing, I'll do another test and find out what makes the sim say the same thing each time they do it.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 1:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Skittlenut
but I have only really noticed it with female sims, not so much male sims.

Doesn't that support my position? Why would they create multiple voices for adult females, but not adult males? I think the female actor simply put a little more variety into her phrasing.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 10:40 AM Last edited by starryeyedSim : 24th Aug 2011 at 11:09 AM.
I still say there is more than one voice for male and females in the game.

Maybe some of their names are listed in the Credits. As a point of reference, I watched one interview a few years ago about the singer that did the Pocket Full of Sunshine? song in AL game? was doing some voice acting in the game.

She was being tested for child voices in the game. Sorry, I am horrible with the younger crowds Teen Idols' names these days, there are so many. I have forgotten her name!

The interview showed her performing the voice for a child and making it sound much higher. (She getting to a higher pitch, not them electronically, or digitally making it higher). So, yes there are more than one voice actor in the Sims games.

If you want to see the difference in the game of the male voices have each male Sim with a different Astrological sign call someone on the phone. This is where you can hear the different sounds, as they both will repeat the same things, and it isn't recorded at a different level I don't think but a different male voice. And if you think about, say like in Uni, those male voices are not the male voice used in the mainhood. I would take a gander those are younger people since the male voice applied to Mr. Big has actually been in the game, since the early Sim days of The Sims. If you go back and just play that game for a moment you will hear the male voice back then, too. As I said before, I was curious about that, because I have also in more recent years, heard that voice in other non EA games. Much like you can begin to recoginize a game creators work, when you play a lot of different games. So, when you check the credits you may realize they have moved over to a different company or worked on a different companies' projects.

The point was if you don't have BV, FT or AL installed and make a Pisces Sim then make a Taurus Sim or maybe it's Capricorn? Sim they sound different to me and those signs will always get the same voice until you install BV or later EP. Then those 'tones' are changed and you can't depend on always getting a Pisces Sim having the same 'tone' as Mr. Big in NL, anymore. Just trying to help the OP get the voice they wanted the next time they create a Sim.

Sorry, I edited several times to correct many mistakes I made.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#25 Old 24th Aug 2011 at 11:16 AM

I have an online friend who was one of the voice actors for TS2 (and TS1 - you may realise, if you played it, that some of the voices are the same). He said there were three actors for adult male and female voices (I think that was right). Anyway, definitely more than one. I don't know anything about the elder, teen or child voices though.
Page 1 of 2