Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Floor Edge Variety Pack #1

by Mootilda Posted 3rd Nov 2011 at 4:48 PM

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 18 Feedback Posts, 10 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator THANKS POST
#2 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:00 PM
Thank you very much indeed. This has bugged me for years. This and ugly lot impostors. My game just improved its prettiness - thank you again.
Not actually evil.
THANKS POST
#3 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:36 PM
Have wanted an invisible floor edge for years! Grateful you all figured out how to make one.

invisible edge + floor shader = WIN
Theorist
THANKS POST
#4 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:40 PM Last edited by Honeywell : 3rd Nov 2011 at 6:00 PM.
I love this! Thanks.

ETA:
I just tested out the invisible one but it doesn't work well with the deck foundations. The floor "floats" above the foundation so that's not going to work for me but I can't wait to try out the others to see what they look like. I've hated that floor edge forever so I'm ridiculously excited at the prospect of changing it.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 6:13 PM
Unfortunately, Quatchi and I haven't figured out how to allow multiple floor edges (yet).

However, Quatchi has some vacation coming up and I know that he's dying to dig deeper into those material shaders.

I've also asked him to see whether he can add anything to the TXMT definition in the wiki, since the shader concepts should be similar no matter what the game.
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 6:20 PM
This is AWESOME!
Not actually evil.
#7 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 9:34 PM
Honeywell and Mootilda I wonder how deck foundations differ from walls? Why is the desk foundation not being drawn where the invisible floor edge overlaps it? Is that a question for the technical discussion thread of the floor shader mod?

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Site Helper
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 11:12 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Nov 2011 at 2:15 AM.
Actually, that's a very good question. I've moved the research into the deck skirt to the research area:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=460062

It's probably worth mentioning that the invisible recolor doesn't work well with ceilings, either. When the wall edge is invisible, you can see the space between the ceiling and the floor.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Nov 2011 at 7:57 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 5th Nov 2011 at 3:43 PM. Reason: Added quote.
Quote: Originally posted by goderguy
I tried creating my own pure white floor edge, only to get a medium grey result. Thanks to you and Moochi, not only is pure white now possible, it's already been created for us!
Perhaps you mean "you and Quatchi"? Moochi is our joint modding group; we worked on the shader together.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#10 Old 5th Nov 2011 at 6:58 AM
THANK YOU!!! Gonna pick my jaw up off the floor now. Brb.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#11 Old 10th Nov 2011 at 4:12 PM
OK, I'm stumped. This has significantly more downloads than the enhanced floor shader mod, even though these floor edge textures require that mod to function. What are you people doing with the textures by themselves?

If anything, the mod should have more downloads, since people can use the mod with any textures, including their own.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#12 Old 11th Nov 2011 at 4:01 PM
I just downloaded the mod and didn't DL any of the textures. It wasn't until I fired up my game and saw that they weren't visible that I came back here. Yeah, I should read EVERYTHING and not just mindlessly click "download."

ahah! Thank you so much for making something like this! I detest the that ugly yellow edge. I was going to use the invisible one, but seeing as though people are having issues with gaps, I'll probably just use the white one. I take pictures in-game and use my ceilings a lot.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, though, to see if there is any word on the invisible recolor and getting it to not gap seeing as that's the one I really want!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 14th Nov 2011 at 7:44 PM
I was JUST thinking about this! How strange! Thank you so much :D
Undead Molten Llama
#14 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
OK, I'm stumped. This has significantly more downloads than the enhanced floor shader mod, even though these floor edge textures require that mod to function. What are you people doing with the textures by themselves?

I suspect that they're not reading completely. I'm just surprised there haven't been a bunch of "These don't show up in my game!" complaints.

Anyway, I commented in the mod's thread about how fab this is, but it bears repeating: This is fab. I'm using the white edge, and I totally love, love, LOVE it...though I might change it out for the invisible one if the gap issue can be resolved. Then again, I DO like the white since it matches my white-edged roofs and all. Ahhhhhh, matching makes me happy, it does.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#15 Old 18th Nov 2011 at 9:00 PM
Unfortunately, I haven't been having much luck resolving the gap with the deck foundation. I haven't given up yet, but there's no quick solution.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#16 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 7:02 PM
I can't tell you how much I love the invisible version!

I'm not having any trouble using it with ceilings. I don't see any gap at all:

Am I misunderstanding what you meant, or is it acting differently in my game and yours?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#17 Old 23rd Nov 2011 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 23rd Nov 2011 at 9:18 PM.
The gap will only ever be visible if you would have seen the ugly EA floor edge before you installed the invisible floor edge.

Most walls span between their own floor and the floor above them, thus covering the gap when you use an invisible floor edge. The gap only occurs in two specific situations, that I know of:

1) The deck foundation (unlike all other foundations) spans from the ground level to the ceiling of the underside of the deck, relying on the floor edge to cover the space between the ceiling and the deck floor. This is the situation that we're researching in the other thread. Here's what you'll see:2) If an upper floor has a wall above it, but no wall below it, then you will usually see the floor edge underneath the upper floor. If you use an invisible floor edge and you have ceilings visible, then you will see a gap between the ceiling tile and the wall above it.

I've attached a few pictures which show this second situation with the EA floor edge and with the invisible floor edge.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:23 PM
The gap will only ever be visible if you would have seen the ugly EA floor edge before you installed the invisible floor edge.

2) If an upper floor has a wall above it, but no wall below it, then you will usually see the floor edge underneath the upper floor. If you use an invisible floor edge and you have ceilings visible, then you will see a gap between the ceiling tile and the wall above it.

Okay so to make sure I understand... when I build say a portico, and have the fancy-schmancy roof portion hanging over the porch, I see a brownish line out in front where I put the flooring in just for that overhang. Am I describing this right? This mod will change that thin ugly little line that I see between the tops of my columns and the bottom of the siding?

I'm reinstalling to my hard drive right now (old one died) so I can't take a picture to show you. I hope I described it well enough for you to understand what I mean, and to let me know if I'm thinking of the correct situation that this edge pack will address.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#19 Old 19th Jan 2012 at 10:59 PM
Yes. That's what this mod is for.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 2:43 AM
Yes. That's what this mod is for.

Sweet! Well in that case, this is awesome! (amazing how much cooler something is when I understand it lol)

I really wish they would've made that stupid little line affected by wall paints so that you could match it up. Never understood why they decided not to set it up for that in the first place. Do they actually play their own games?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2012 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JCSpencer
Do they actually play their own games?
I suspect not... at least since Will Wright left.

Quatchi and I are still looking into whether there is some way to select the texture at run time.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 20th May 2012 at 4:33 PM
Hi, Mootilda!
I just wanted to let you know that in my game, all expansions except for Free Time and Apartment Life and only stuff packs Glamour Life and Family Fun Stuff, this doesn't work: it crashes my community lots when I try to enter them, whether by letting families go to them or assessing them from the neighbourhood.
The first thing I thought of was that I didn't have the enhanced floor shader, but I did, and I had the Pets through Apartment Life version.
I am playing on an early 2008 MacBook with 1 GB RAM and 148.73 GB hard drive, if that helps.

Kind regards,
Mai
Site Helper
Original Poster
#23 Old 20th May 2012 at 4:46 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 20th May 2012 at 5:33 PM.
I'm afraid that I have no way to test on a MAC. However, when I test with your specific configuration, I am not able to reproduce your problem.

Note: I sent Don Lothario to the pool.

Have you tested in a brand new save game with no other CC?
Field Researcher
#24 Old 20th May 2012 at 10:41 PM
Yes, I have. The problem persists.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#25 Old 20th May 2012 at 10:52 PM
I'm sorry, but without a repro case, there's nothing that I can do.

Can you try the floor shader by itself, and the floor edge texture by itself? That would at least tell us which element is causing the problem.
Page 1 of 2