Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th May 2012 at 5:18 AM
Default CAW LAA running out of memory
I now have 2.8GB of Store content, with no CC installed via sims3pack. The problem is, CAW loaded on it's own uses about 600MB of memory, but when trying to load 2.8GB of store content as well, it will end up around the 3.4GB mark, which is the limit of a 32bit app, even with LAA enabled. Anything over 3.4GB is where CAW or most other 32bit apps will crash.

How are people managing to load Store content into CAW without reaching this limit?

EA Really needs to release 64bit versions of the exe.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 29th May 2012 at 7:50 AM
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=112556

old problem. Thisis the fix.
I think the file size is a hint from EA to keep our worlds small. To midagate some of the game freezing prblems we all seem to have.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th May 2012 at 9:20 AM
I understand that fix, and I have already applied it, however, even with LAA, Sims 3 and CAW crap out (Crash) at around 3.5GB of memory usage, even with the LAA patch. The LAA patch fixed the issue for a while, but as EA bring out more and more content, the memory usage goes up. Unfortunately CAW loads all Store content into memory, which means if I have 2.8GB of store content, then CAW will use 2.8GB+600-700MB that it uses without Store content, and this brings it up to the 3.5GB mark and a crash. This has nothing to do with world size, as this is before a world file is even loaded, this is simply how CAW pre-loads Store content.

It seems that unless there is a 64bit .exe, there is no way to make use of more memory and before long everyone that has around 3GB of store content will have the same issue, unless other people's CAW is behaving differently than mine.
dodgy builder
#4 Old 29th May 2012 at 1:31 PM
Isn't that content stored in DCBackup or DCCache? So you can just move it out for the time being? Unless you use it in the world?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th May 2012 at 2:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Isn't that content stored in DCBackup or DCCache? So you can just move it out for the time being? Unless you use it in the world?

At the moment I don't use it in the world and have been moving it out of the directory to speed things up, but I wanted to import a couple houses with store stuff, and as I don't know which dbc files hold what store content, it's really all or nothing.
dodgy builder
#6 Old 29th May 2012 at 4:10 PM Last edited by Volvenom : 30th May 2012 at 9:59 AM.
I would probably take it all out and reinstall it from the store, unless it's a ton of stuff. Lets hope someone who knows answers. Another option is to make a duplicate of the big sims 3 folder by renaming the one you use. Then restart the game, it makes a new vanilla folder for you.

This question probably belongs in the geeks section.
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd Jun 2012 at 4:50 AM
Anach to change the game to a 64 bit program will require the games source code. Even then it will take some reprograming. It would be a tuff challenge even for EA’s programers and they have the source code.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 1:31 PM
I sincerely hope that EA realise the problems and make the Sims 3 and CAW exes 64bit in future patches.

After all, they want players to keep buying the store items, don't they!

Although we could be waiting for some time, since they haven't even made CAW LAA yet.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 8th Jun 2012 at 10:54 PM
I checked my DCCache folder, and I have 2.15gb's of content installed. I may have to start picking and choosing which store content I use. Another solution Clayworld mentioned in another post earlier in the year would be to create a new user on my PC, and keep it as clean, and free of most store items, and CC as possible. Only installing the build items I want to use.

Then that brings up another issue with the EA sets. How can you just install the doors and windows from the set, and not all the hair and clothing?

Anyone know?
Retired
retired moderator
#10 Old 9th Jun 2012 at 8:01 AM
Folder switching is really the only way. I have a different folder for Port Piston (that I often forget to use) which only has the necessary store sets installed.

@auntielynds Can you download them individually from their store page, or does that just provoke a download for the full set?

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Jun 2012 at 2:34 PM
Selectively installing store content is the only way to keep it down, but as time goes on, that will be more and more difficult. Either EA need to overhaul their memory management for CAW, give us a 64bit exe or both. I wonder if this will also be an issue for the game at a later date, with more store content and expansions. I use less than 100Mb of CC, so I can't say how the game handles excessively large amounts of Content in the game at once.

Having to download individual items from the in-game store is a real pain.
dodgy builder
#12 Old 18th Jun 2012 at 10:11 AM
I'm thinking of buying a new pc and it has 8 gb ram. Did I get that right? Anyways it has more ram then I thought was max windows could use, but I guess the world just goes on making pc's more advanced all the time.

Is what you're saying that if I have more then 4 gb ram, it won't make a difference?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I'm thinking of buying a new pc and it has 8 gb ram. Did I get that right? Anyways it has more ram then I thought was max windows could use, but I guess the world just goes on making pc's more advanced all the time.

Is what you're saying that if I have more then 4 gb ram, it won't make a difference?

A 32bit program, such as sims 3 or CAW, will only use up to around 3.5 before it has stability issues. Many 32bit programs are capped at lower amounts (say 2Gb) for this reason. Making CAW LAA (Large address aware), essentially removes the cap, allowing it to use up to 3.5. A 64bit program has no such limits and can make use of all your memory as needed. Sims 3 was made LAA some time back in a patch update, as many people were getting error 12 when the game couldn't access more than 2Gb of RAM during saves. This can still happen now, but only if you are close to that 3.5Gb mark when you go to save, or you don't have enough memory.

The problem I describe above, is that CAW loads all the installed store content into memory at launch. Which means it easily reaches that 3.5Gb limit even before editing a world, which means it will crash.

Windows itself, with common background tasks like AV, that most of us have, can often use around 2Gb on it's own. So with 8Gb, you can run Sims/CAW, and let windows maximise its memory use and still have spare, which is a good thing. Anything that can't fit into memory gets swapped to the HDD for temporary storage, which slows down the system considerably.

I would say 4Gb is absolute minimum these days for a system to run smoothly. 8Gb is preferred if you are playing memory intensive games like the Sims 3. I currently have 12Gb, which still isn't enough for me, as I often run virtual machines and other memory intensive software.
Instructor
#14 Old 26th Jun 2012 at 6:48 PM
*glares* I envy you. So much. My computer barely has 2 GB of RAM and, needless to say, it's a major pain in the bum. But then this very same computer is known for frying:

- 1 vid card
- 1 main board
- 2 harddrives

Yes, I love my computer. Not. I wish I had the loose change to buy a more up to date system. Which doesn't fry its individual parts. *sigh*

Anyway, error 12 is in fact an issue for me though it hasn't occured since I last optimized my files. The way Sims 3 works is a major pain, though. I have a pretty decent vid card and I always ensure to merge/optimize my content but this doesn't do much when the game is determined to just be a pain and re-evaluate the contents of the item/outfit catalog every time, as well at load neighboring lots (for those of you in a similar situation... DON'T for the love of god set the game's detail lots to 1. While this may seem like a good idea to reduce loading times it does the exact opposite, as each and every camera swerve will result in the game trying to load neighboring lots, so it's best to set it to 3 to have it cache those!)

In short: The game is just very badly programmed. Yes, that's my opinion.
dodgy builder
#15 Old 30th Jun 2012 at 11:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by auntielynds
Then that brings up another issue with the EA sets. How can you just install the doors and windows from the set, and not all the hair and clothing?

I try to use as little store items as possible, but I have noticed in the options menu in the game I have to install every single dot on it's own, witch needless to say I thought was a pain in my butt, but seen from this angle that may be very handy indeed. In my game it can be translated to something like "the downloads panel"?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Jul 2012 at 2:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rockerduck
*glares* I envy you. So much. My computer barely has 2 GB of RAM

I finally had to give in and build myself a new computer last October, when an update meant that CAW flowed like molasses with my 2GB RAM. I must say it workd a lot better with a 64bit OS and 8GB RAM! I'm surprised you can still make CAW or Sims 3 work with 2GB RAM any more, especially since the Showtime updates.