Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 2:52 AM
Default About The Spellcasting trait
Hey ya'll i've been looking around trying to figure out what gives witches their wand casting abilities and I thought I was onto something, it was called "spellcasting" trait which is hidden but apparently found in all witches. Sooooo I decided to conduct a test to see if I could bestow the power of spellcasting to a human sim and the only result I managed to get was that they could only perform the "conjure apple" spell which was a huge downer, so im just wondering if any of you guys managed to find out what gives witches their power's?
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 3:16 AM
Have you tried making a sim in CAS, cloning the sim, and making the twin a witch? Then check to see what is different between the two.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Alchemist
#3 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 3:51 AM
You can't turn a Sim into an occult just by simply giving them the hidden trait. For example, you can't make a normal Sim a vampire by giving them the Vampire hidden trait, SimBot with SimBot hidden trait, Genie with Genie hidden trait, and so on. Your Sim has to properly turn into an occult in order to be one, so expect your Sims to be unable to do as many things as a real witch can.

Just call me Nikel
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 2:11 PM
But here's the thing I gave my sim the genie trait save, reloaded and it resulted in my sim gaining full genie power's but I don't know if he is marked of as an occult, the same goes for when I give him the plantsim trait, my question is why are the traits given to witches and fae are so different in that it doesn't grant the powers of either occult to an ordinary sim.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Have you tried making a sim in CAS, cloning the sim, and making the twin a witch? Then check to see what is different between the two.

No I haven't tried that method yet.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr.Simulator01101
my question is why are the traits given to witches and fae are so different in that it doesn't grant the powers of either occult to an ordinary sim.

Why not just give them the occult?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kawab
Why not just give them the occult?

I know but I wanted to see if I could create some sort of supernatural human instead of supernatural witch or werewolf.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 12:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mr.Simulator01101
I know but I wanted to see if I could create some sort of supernatural human instead of supernatural witch or werewolf.

Well, I know you don't want them to be classified as occult but I have a suggestion: You could make a witch Sim so that they have a spellcasting trait and, as I believe it's actually the magic wand object that gives them their spell powers, buy for them the Magic Hands lifetime reward so that they don't need the magic wand to cast spells. That would make it easier to pretend they're a human with super powers.

Other than that, I don't believe there's any way for you to make them supernatural without turning them into an occult.

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#9 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 9:01 PM
I suppose you could try Twallan's Hybrid Mod, but it's intended for Occult/Occult hybrids and as far as I know, humans aren't considered as an occult type. But you never know, a little play around with some hybrids and you may get the Human/Witch you're looking for :D
Forum Resident
#10 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 11:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the Hybrid mod won't help with this matter. I have it, and all it does is make it so that Sims can have more than one occult trait at the same time. Sometimes, not all powers from each occult will be available when combined, either. You can go ahead and download it but chances are it's not going to work like you want it to. In order to give a Sim powers, you would still need to assign them the appropriate occult trait. I think you're just going to have to use your imagination on this one.

My TS3 Sims, patterns & recolors

Check out my Simblr! (TS3-focused, sometimes NSFW)
♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Field Researcher
#11 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 11:09 PM
Like I said, it's intended for Occult/Occult. But knowing EA, anything is possible.

I'm currently playing about with Hybrid and some witches and I'll let you know if I manage to create a human with witch powers. Or like Chreai said, you'll probably have to have a witch and pretend it's a human.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 8:34 PM
Okay, so I ran a few tests on a human. I gave him the spellcasting hidden trait using MasterController. It turned him into a Witch as soon as I unpaused. I then gave him the magic hands LTR. I removed the trait and gave him level 10 in both spellcasting skills. He was considered to be a human, but he could conjure apples. But not do spells/charms/curses. I then gave him level 0 in both skills and made him a witch through DebugEnabler, and made him human again while the game was paused. I also gave him the hidden skills back. He could do charms, but not spells or curses, and had no magic power bar.

The result: You're going to have to make do with making your sim a witch, and pretending it's a human. It's interesting to note that I was able to make my sim a witch by just giving him the spellcasting trait. Unlike vampires or werewolves, which appear to need to be turned (or cheated with MasterController) to properly receive the occult. That alone gives me hope that with a little messing about, a human with witch powers could be possible?

Another possibility could be genetics. Knowing EA's knack for glitches, breeding humans and witches together over several generations may eventually produce human/witch hybrids. Though you'd probably need Twallan's Hybrid mod if you don't want more glitches.

I'll keep you updated with what I find.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 1:28 AM
That's some really good testing, but now my qs is: the sim that could charms we're they recognised as still human or witch?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 12:01 PM Last edited by Kawab : 16th Nov 2013 at 3:25 PM.
He was recognised by the game as a human.

I'm now trying to raise several generations of witches and humans so I can test the genetics out.

>>Edit>>

Just thought I'd pop in and let you know I haven't found anything new yet. But don't give up hope :D

>>2nd Edit>>

That's all I'm able to get. Playing with the genetics hasn't changed anything, so it looks like you'll have to make do. >_>
Field Researcher
#15 Old 17th Nov 2013 at 3:28 PM
I'm bumping this so you know it's edited.
Test Subject
#16 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 8:03 AM
This kinda explains a little mystery I've encountered in my game. My witch woohooed with a werewolf, and her baby was born with spellcasting, according to the birth notice. But his portrait in her contacts roster has a werewolf brown border. So, is he a werewolf that can cast spells? I guess I'll find out when he gets old enough to hold a wand.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 8:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Moondragon007
This kinda explains a little mystery I've encountered in my game. My witch woohooed with a werewolf, and her baby was born with spellcasting, according to the birth notice. But his portrait in her contacts roster has a werewolf brown border. So, is he a werewolf that can cast spells? I guess I'll find out when he gets old enough to hold a wand.

This is typically where the NRaas Hybrid mod comes in. When hybrids are formed under EA standard, one of the occult states is supposed to win out over the other(s), which become(s) dormant as the sim becomes of age. When they are formed with the Hybrid mod in play, all occult states that the sim has are supposed to be playable.

NRaas Story Progression will also allow for hybrids by a set percent chance, default is 0 though because not everyone wants hybrids, when sims with different occult states reproduce. The occult states can also be handed down from a grandparent if the states have skipped a generation. So if one parent is a witch, one is a werewolf and a grandparent is a fairy, there are many possibilities for the babies of the two parents -- witch, werewolf, fairy, and hybrids of any two of those, or all three. If one of the parents is instead a human, then the offspring might also be human (lack of an occult state, cannot be passed down from a grandparent).