Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

The Sims 2 Opportunity Pack Reference Section, Books & Notes

by Sophie-David Posted 22nd Dec 2013 at 6:09 AM - Updated 14th Jul 2016 at 4:49 PM by Sophie-David : Posted the Jan. 30th Update

37 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 16 Feedback Posts, 20 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 2
Alchemist
THANKS POST
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 9:53 AM
These are lovely and so well detailed, and I love that they have a function!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 4:03 PM
What a great idea..Thanks so much!!!
Theorist
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 6:28 PM
These are such gorgeous books, thank you! One question, does the base game only give Creativity or do these work like the bookcase with the usual skills?
Theorist
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2013 at 7:00 PM
Thank you for the encouragement!

Quote: Originally posted by Duine
These are such gorgeous books, thank you! One question, does the base game only give Creativity or do these work like the bookcase with the usual skills?

The books only give Creativity (and Film & Literature Enthusiasm if FreeTime or Apartment Life is available) and the note cards only give Logic (and FT/AL Science enthusiasm). Sims do not actually read these books or cards, they simply admire them as they would work of art.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#6 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 1:37 AM
It may be necessary for me to recolor these to match all of my hymnals. (Uh...as soon as I'm through Christmas Eve.)

I honestly can't think of anything more perfect. You are awesome.
Theorist
Original Poster
#7 Old 23rd Dec 2013 at 5:30 PM
Default Book Texture Mapping Parameters
Quote: Originally posted by AranelS
It may be necessary for me to recolor these to match all of my hymnals. (Uh...as soon as I'm through Christmas Eve.)

I honestly can't think of anything more perfect. You are awesome.
Thank you AranelS. The texture mapping coordinates for this EA based object are as follows:
Quote:
* Book Recolour Parameters *

- the cover textures are reversed

Cover with Edge 0,0: 256 x 170
Front, Spine & Back: 6,5: 241 x 159
Front Cover 6,5: 112 x 159
Spine 118,5: 20 x 159
Back Cover 138,5: 109 x 159
Page 0,170: 201 x 86
Text 17,184: 164 x 58
Edge of Pages 201,170: 55 x 8
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#8 Old 24th Dec 2013 at 2:03 AM
Thanks, I will make a note of that and it will be very helpful as soon as I have a moment to breathe!
Test Subject
#9 Old 25th Dec 2013 at 3:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
Thank you AranelS. The texture mapping coordinates for this EA based object are as follows:

1-You are really super-awesome and I hope you are having a fantastic Christmas, or whatever holiday you would prefer.
2-If you have the time...I know there is some way to get it so that I can preview recolors for something like this without loading the entire game, but I cannot remember how it is done. I know how to preview in SimPE, but that only works if the texture is in the same package as the mesh. Am I crazy, or is there some way of doing this, and do you know how? (I will figure something out eventually on my own if you are not available to answer.)
Theorist
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Dec 2013 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AranelS
1-You are really super-awesome and I hope you are having a fantastic Christmas, or whatever holiday you would prefer.
2-If you have the time...I know there is some way to get it so that I can preview recolors for something like this without loading the entire game, but I cannot remember how it is done. I know how to preview in SimPE, but that only works if the texture is in the same package as the mesh. Am I crazy, or is there some way of doing this, and do you know how? (I will figure something out eventually on my own if you are not available to answer.)
Thank you, Merry Christmas!

While any of my three favourite meshing and mapping tools - Milkshape 3D, Ultimate Unwrap3D Pro and UV Mapper Professional - can be used for previews, I find that UVMapper Professional is the easiest to use for previewing a texture on its mesh.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator THANKS POST
#11 Old 26th Dec 2013 at 3:37 PM
Very nice idea - much appreciated
Theorist
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Dec 2013 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Very nice idea - much appreciated
Thank you maxon.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#13 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 4:16 AM
I love this idea but won't thank until I actually download (for my convenience in not thinking I already have it). But a question would these be sellable in an owned community book store?
Theorist
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Jan 2014 at 6:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sandya
I love this idea but won't thank until I actually download (for my convenience in not thinking I already have it). But a question would these be sellable in an owned community book store?
They would not be automatically buyable in a non-owned store, but in a Sim owned store they could be placed on OFB shelves and tagged as buyable objects for sale. Unfortunately with a base price of only §3 each they would not be an effective money maker!
Theorist
Original Poster
#15 Old 13th Jan 2014 at 5:37 PM
Price Update: Jan. 13, 2014

In response to sandya's question about selling the books in a bookstore, I have updated the base price for all the books from §3 to §30 each, and the note cards from §3 to §15 each. Considering that magazines cost §15, I think that these are game appropriate values that will be more practical to sell in a Sim owned shop.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#16 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 3:29 PM
Nice work!
Theorist
Original Poster
#17 Old 6th Mar 2014 at 3:44 PM
Thank you, mari jo.
Instructor
THANKS POST
#18 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 5:19 AM
David, these books are beautiful and make a wonderful addition to the game. Knowing (now) that these are part of a larger project only makes me even more excited and impressed. Awesome work here! I can't wait to add them to the game!

Thank you so much for all of your awesome work!!
Theorist
Original Poster
#19 Old 20th Mar 2014 at 6:49 PM
Thank you Penny!

Yes, I realized after creating huge walls of text and wanting way too many inline pictures that I had to break up the project into more digestable bits. The next Opportunity Pack release will be the Day & Night Controllers - so vampires can live in constant darkness within their caves, and PlantSims in the everlasting light of ethereal gardens (among other purposes). Then there's the Opportunity Pack Lecterns, Teleprompters & Accessories, followed at last by the Opporunity Pack Core Files.

But at the moment I am on a slight diversion for StephSim - The Spellcaster's Bag of Holding.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#20 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 3:31 AM
I adore your stuff! I'm setting up a public library for Pleasantview, and I really need more than just boring bookshelves...so these are going to get piled up all over it! Those poor librarians...
Theorist
Original Poster
#21 Old 31st Mar 2014 at 6:11 PM
Thank you Freefalldreams, I'm happy you are finding these useful.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#22 Old 3rd May 2014 at 4:11 PM
Good job :)
Theorist
Original Poster
#23 Old 4th May 2014 at 2:40 AM
Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#24 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 5:59 PM
Wow, what great books! The bindings are just fantastic!
Theorist
Original Poster
#25 Old 7th Nov 2014 at 6:10 PM
Thank you ZaxZ.
Page 1 of 2