Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 7:49 PM
Default Pretty worlds vs. Playable worlds.
I've said it before, my worlds are ugly, like "Tickville" ugly (new name of my most recent world) where the ticks live on the hind end of the donkey ugly. But they're mostly playable.

I've found a pretty world, but it has many unplayable features: two of many lots - two spas, two bookstores, two markets, but that messes up gameplay because sims are drawn to both lots, leaving each with not enough sims. The houses are small and cramped. You know the drill... without a 3x3 porch, the sims will get off the porch and receive the pizza on the lawn. Worst case ... your witch sim and his victim stroll out to the garage for the Witch to cast a spell on the victim! (like a cramped house in University I can think of...). Or you have a child and no place to fit a crib, potty and high chair, much less a toy chest!

Anyone know of any playable worlds that aren't Tickvilles? I was out sick the day when Gawd was giving out artistic talent.
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : 16th Oct 2017 at 9:36 PM.
The one that survived my frequent change of custom worlds through various user folders that would perhaps meet your requirements and is pre-populated is:
Rinn Fada by Conorsim

And although the houses are perhaps a bit too small for you I still always enjoy both Niua Simoa and Riverblossom Hills by kiwi_tea. Both pre-populated, too

And even though his later worlds have become a bit problematic for me, in terms of unique atmosphere and architecture Quailhogs is still one of my favourite creators. I can particularly recommend Grey Meadow, the Generations version. Most of his pre-mades have horrible traits and strong dislikes among each other. So you can expect a lot of shouting and fighting. I also have a running game in Vargfjell (pre-IP version) but it needed quite a bit of lot editing and I will perhaps have finished editing The Stoneshields soon; it needs a lot of editing, imo, but it's one of the few populated city worlds that are really tagged as city.

But to be frank, due to the fact that I prefer populated worlds and love good scenery, I mostly play EA worlds (including Store). All of them. Repeatedly.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2017 at 11:38 PM
Thank you Don! This is very helpful.
Scholar
#4 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 2:19 AM
I'm gonna agree with Don about kiwi_tea's Riverblossom Hills. Very nice looking world and I never had any problems with it. Jericho looks really nice.

I've seen a few of Quailhogs' worlds that made me interested but there were only ever a handful of photos to judge if it was worth downloading. Might look into it now.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pirate_wolf_12
Jericho looks really nice.

Thanks pirate_wolf_12 but I'm not sure Jericho would be suitable for Emmett Brown's requirements- I do have some rather compact buildings in there. It's the way I like to play, so might be too small for someone who likes large rooms.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 6:27 AM
Thank you for the reminder about quailhogs. I want to check some of those worlds again. I always enjoy looking at worlds. I tend to like medium the best as things are not too spread out. Just enough there and it does not take sims too long to get places.

LOL just read some of those descriptions! Hilarious. So clever.
Theorist
#7 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
I've found a pretty world, but it has many unplayable features: two of many lots - two spas, two bookstores, two markets, but that messes up gameplay because sims are drawn to both lots, leaving each with not enough sims. The houses are small and cramped. You know the drill... without a 3x3 porch, the sims will get off the porch and receive the pizza on the lawn. Worst case ... your witch sim and his victim stroll out to the garage for the Witch to cast a spell on the victim! (like a cramped house in University I can think of...). Or you have a child and no place to fit a crib, potty and high chair, much less a toy chest!

Why would you not just delete and bulldoze stuff in the pretty hood? I do this to even the most perfect looking hoods. If a hood ain't pretty then it don't qualify!
And yeah....Rinn Fada.....a proper hood.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
dodgy builder
#8 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 4:12 PM
If I'm not too shameless, I would suggest my own world Stranda. I worked a lot on routing and terrainpaint, so I'm very proud of it. I also like bigger lots, but at least 1 lot is very cramped. I tried giving it a wide range of everything, while sticking to ny original plan.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=516078æ

Is that the hole link? I'm sitting on my phone.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
If I'm not too shameless, I would suggest my own world Stranda. I worked a lot on routing and terrainpaint, so I'm very proud of it. I also like bigger lots, but at least 1 lot is very cramped. I tried giving it a wide range of everything, while sticking to ny original plan.

That looks pretty. I'll play it!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 6:04 PM

That kinda sucks. Science is such an important thing, even more so than art. Now chemistry is probably my least favourite thing in the entire world, I even quit school early just to get rid of it, but despite my other skills which are much closer to your brothers', I'm just not the kind of person who's very good at fulfilling my potential. So I know how you feel about artistic talent. I love things that are pretty, and I know how and why they are pretty, but I just can't be bothered to do anything with it myself. I could never build an entire world in CAW, although I know it'd look amazing if I did.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Scholar
#11 Old 17th Oct 2017 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom

Link works for me.

I really wanna have a go at creating a world. For someone that's never used it, how long would you say it takes to create a world about the size of Stranda?

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Scholar
#12 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:30 AM
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I'd say "a long time" to build your own world. It depends on how much time you can spend. For example, I worked on Simburbia, a large world/neighborhood, off an on over the course of several years. It probably has hundreds of hours of work. At one point, I worked on it nearly full time while I was injured and off work. Smaller worlds, like Simmington, don't take as much time. It also depends on how much of the "perfectionist" trait you have. I reworked terrain painting, roads, and routing many times. It's quite fun, though, and I know that, if you decide to give it a try, there are many who will be glad to help you. Maybe try working with a posted CAW file first to get the hang of it. Starting from scratch can be a bit intimidating but gives you complete control.

Now, back to the thread. I've always though Rinn Fada a very pretty world: http://sims3.thesimscatalog.com/sim...arge/rinn-fada/ but it is a themed world. Westerberg is also very pretty: http://www.parsimonious.org/worlds3...westerberg.html but takes a bit more computing power. Note that I've not played Westerberg much and Rinn Fada not at all so cannot speak to performance over time. rflong7 has a wide variety of nice worlds: http://www.thesims3.com/userExchang...ition=0&index=1 and http://myworlds-rflong7.blogspot.com/ as does mysimrealty: http://www.mysimrealty.com/Sims3_Worlds.html.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:42 AM Last edited by daisylee : 18th Oct 2017 at 3:34 AM.
Pirate Wolf, give it ago. If you are like most/many of us you will start 10-20 worlds then scrap them in learning and deciding what you want. I do just enough to tell do I want to continue or not? If no, I move on and start over. I would be prepared to take at least a few months depending on how much you want to do and how complicated it is. And how much time you have. Some worlds can take a year or so to do.

Give it a try, be patient and decide if CAW is for you or not. I love working in it.

edit: Simmy beat me! Yes, it will take time but it is so worth it when you see something coming together.

I just downloaded quite a few worlds to look at for fun. This is probably the second look for some, but will still be fun.

edit: I just looked at 6 worlds done by some darn good world builders and in quick looks found so many errors in terms of walls that are unfinished, trees in buildings, and so on. I am not throwing stones as I am sure there are a lot of ones in my worlds. I can look at a lot 4-6 times and then all of the sudden see a problem. The reason I am saying this is start with something small, perhaps to be a vacation location, and then you can pay attention to all. In some of the worlds I looked at they were so darn big I think the creators just wanted them to be done and did not want to go over all the lots for the umpteenth time. When you work on a world so much you can get burned out on it. It is good to take breaks and go back to it, from my experience. It is then fun to work on again. I have over 100 lots I need to check for what I hope is the last time in a world that is almost done. Tedious, but I want to do it. Soooooooo, take baby steps to start for if you pick too big of a project you will be more apt to get discouraged. That is my suggestion. Start small to medium and then you can move on to more ambitious projects later.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 8:15 AM
I have to run, but just for the record: Stranda took 2 years to build.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 10:31 AM
I've noticed that the worlds mentioned in this thread all look so damn vanilla. Worlds like Rinn Fada, they all seem to embrace TS3's dreary default style. Any reason for that?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#16 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 12:06 PM
Compatibility with as many people's games as possible, perhaps? Both with regard to content and performance and what people expect in TS3 as TS3.

In Rinn Fada you can add many different downloaded lots without them looking weird and building your own doesn't require a degree in local architecture history. That's a compatibility factor, too.

There's a very pretty medieval world on the Exchange. It uses a ton of Store stuff, so in order to have it look okay you would either have to spend a few hundred dollars on the Store or spend days or even weeks replacing the default replacements of missing stuff.

And most of those fancy worlds have caused problems for me sooner or later. I couldn't play Fratres on my then generously specced gaming computer, Reyes County crashes frequently, Setra is too big for my tastes, Los Aniegos never interested me, and other worlds require too much custom content.

I usually don't like worlds where CFE was overused, and if MOO takes precedence over playability for the sake of aesthetics, the world goes straight in the bin.

Besides, it's an odd statement from someone who so far has only made opinionated claims and has provided no substantial contribution yet. Show us what you think is a world that meets Mr. Browns requirements of being both nice to look at AND playable.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 1:01 PM
Yeah, I guess poor performance and tons of extra content could be problematic. Especially if you're not willing or able to fix those problems. I'm not really all that familiar with custom worlds, but I do see some gorgeous ones on Tumblr now and then. So all I know is that they look dope, but I never really bother to play in them or anything. I'm sure there wouldn't be any problems I couldn't fix, but I just don't generally bother.

insert signature here
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:09 PM
While I certainly see the problem with some of the more elaborate worlds, there are enough custom worlds that cover both playability and aesthetics for me. I haven't played an EA world in forever and I tend to stick with worlds that are mostly CC/store content free.
Most of simreality's worlds fit that bill. I currently have a save each in SimMeapolis, Stonybrooks, and Brooklyn Heights.
I play Eltham's Drift when I feel like the English countryside (or what I imagine it would look like).
I stick to smaller/medium worlds since I get lost on larger maps (don't laugh!) and never really use them properly with the exception of Simsample's Jericho here on MTS with the addition of a few more subway stations.
Theorist
#19 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:26 PM Last edited by tizerist : 18th Oct 2017 at 3:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I've noticed that the worlds mentioned in this thread all look so damn vanilla. Worlds like Rinn Fada, they all seem to embrace TS3's dreary default style. Any reason for that?

Rinn Fada is unique in the fact that it's probably the greatest depiction of the Irish / British countryside you can get in Ts3. It's essentially Emmerdale in The Sims. Conor was one of the first to realize that certain types of neighbourhoods look better without forcing the North American style Rabbitholes into it. I would call the world 'Ts3's biggest farm'. There's no place better to have animals running around in the fields.
Also, I'm very fussy about the hoods I keep in my game. It's anything but default. It's a king amongst clones.

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 3:49 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 18th Oct 2017 at 4:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by tizerist
Rinn Fada is unique in the fact that it's probably the greatest depiction of the Irish / British countryside you can get in Ts3. It's essentially Emmerdale in The Sims. Conor was one of the first to realize that certain types of neighbourhoods look better without forcing the North American style Rabbitholes into it. I would call the world 'Ts3's biggest farm'. There's no place better to have animals running around in the fields.
Also, I'm very fussy about the hoods I keep in my game. It's anything but default. It's a king amongst clones.

Cladbridge-on-Stowe is also quite good if you're looking for a rural British world. It really has that smalltown Britain feel to it, but it's also strongly reminiscent of Champs Les Sims.
Speaking of which, has anyone made a French-style world? A Dutch one, perhaps? I would be all over a Dutch world.

EDIT: My god, yes. It's not perfect but it's still very good.
I'm totally going to replace the overdone fairytale canal houses with generic-looking modern builds to make it more realistic. Like the house where Rembrandt was born.

I don't think Rembrandt was born in this *actual* house, but I'm sure someone was.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#21 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 6:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Cladbridge-on-Stowe is also quite good if you're looking for a rural British world. It really has that smalltown Britain feel to it, but it's also strongly reminiscent of Champs Les Sims.
Speaking of which, has anyone made a French-style world? A Dutch one, perhaps? I would be all over a Dutch world.

EDIT: My god, yes. It's not perfect but it's still very good.
I'm totally going to replace the overdone fairytale canal houses with generic-looking modern builds to make it more realistic. Like the house where Rembrandt was born.

I don't think Rembrandt was born in this *actual* house, but I'm sure someone was.

Oh, my. That is quite lovely. Here's the link on TSR for those that also rushed off to find it.

Another dutch world I played a bit was Dronningslund.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 6:36 PM
Anyone know of any playable worlds that aren't Tickvilles? I was out sick the day when Gawd was giving out artistic talent.

I play Angel City a lot. It runs quite smooth has enough options to play out a legacy. My problem is I get a bit bored with it for the same reasons you outline. I'll occasionally move someone to a larger/more bustling hood until I start hitting Error Code 12.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 6:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simb0t
Another dutch world I played a bit was Dronningslund.

Danish. It's Danish.
Don't worry, you're not the only one. They're easy to confuse. We're both very flat and we love bicycles, and our languages sound made-up enough to be a massive hoax (like Bielefeld). And Denmark IS the capital of Holland, of course, and Holland is the country in which the Netherlands lie.

insert signature here
Scholar
#24 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 8:09 PM
a small pile of pennies into the garden:

- Dronningslund may be terrible for weaker machines (was for mine anyway) the result of many lots in close proximity, however it's one of the few worlds which gives that not artificial (Bridgesomething-like) old-fashioned "city feel", I'd also revise some of the lots; and - this is not the world for easy in-game rebuilding/lot adding and so on

- Cladbridge - there're lots demanding emergency rebuild; particulary these within the town area, otherwise it quickly become routing hell, the placement of some lots may be also questionable sometimes but it's a matter of taste, there're also some construction problems around bridges which causes routing issues;

- I had issues with Rinn Fada (very slow loading, constant errors reported by Error trap etc) but it was probably my fault (bad CC and so on)

Honestly: there're worlds with problems (big or bigger, it's maybe simply not possible to make a really non-problematic world anyway) and some may be seen as pretty and some not. A matter of trade, kind of, what you're agree to endure, polish by yourself, rebuild (etc) and what is too much to bother with.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Scholar
#25 Old 18th Oct 2017 at 8:58 PM
I haven't played in Rinn Fada much, but I have it installed and have poked around it pretty thoroughly, and I can confirm that it does a very good job of capturing the feel of small-town Ireland.

no power in the verse can stop me
ge smak daun, gyon op nodotaim
jus nou drein jus daun
Page 1 of 2