Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

"Salvation Army" Victorian Slum (Dorm) - *FIX 11MAY05*

by Numenor Posted 3rd May 2005 at 6:45 PM - Updated 1st Oct 2008 at 8:23 PM by Numenor : Posted fixed version

61 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 59 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 3
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 3rd May 2005 at 8:09 PM Last edited by Konecoshushi : 3rd May 2005 at 8:11 PM. Reason: correction
Numenor! I think this is fun! The slum does not have to be so nasty! With a nasty man too! I suppose you have vermin in the house too, no?
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd May 2005 at 8:17 PM
I like the little 'twist' you've given it !
Hopefully it'll be very interesting . . . .
Thank you !
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd May 2005 at 9:30 PM
Well, I was tired of those rich students that have anything they might need to improve skills, study, have fun... right at hand. The real life isn't that simple, I think. I went to university and I lived in a house with other students, but the cheapest Maxis dorms are an Eden compared to what students have to do to decently live and graduate...
And, luckily, I hadn't to live in a slumb like this!

Oh, and Konecoshushi: no, there are no vermins... but only because they aren't available in catalog!
Test Subject
#5 Old 3rd May 2005 at 9:34 PM
salvation army is a slum? is that what you are saying?!? i think its a good twist but my SALVATION ARMY VICARS DAUGHTER woudnt like it!!! tuttuttut
Field Researcher
#6 Old 3rd May 2005 at 10:20 PM
that's very nice Numenor!! thanks
Test Subject
#7 Old 3rd May 2005 at 10:21 PM
First and foremost, for those of you who don't know, the Salvation Army is a church. It is a strong and faithful religion. My mother was a social worker there for many years and is still a member of their church. Yes, they are recognized for helping poor families throughout the entire year. They assist firemen and families in the dead-of-winter by sheltering fire victoms and handing out hot coffee/hot chocolate, they provide Christmas presents for children who would have nothing, or they give turkeys to famiies who can't afford one for Thanksgiving... the list is endless. I almost take offence to this dorm, but know better.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 3rd May 2005 at 10:52 PM Last edited by DawnKeeper : 3rd May 2005 at 10:57 PM.
I think it is great! I love the "trashy" theme alot! Nevermind people who get offended. I think it is great.

And when someone says Salvation Army I automatically think that it means second hand or used from a place like "salvation army" or "goodwill". Not some horrible thing about some church or other. Get a grip people. :smash:
Test Subject
#9 Old 3rd May 2005 at 11:04 PM
Hmm... I know Salvation Army, but would never have guessed it was a church. I'm like DawnKeeper, I here Salvation Army and think second hand. My family always gets Halloween Costumes from Salvation Army and Goodwill.

I love how this lot looks realistic. I'm thankful I'm not living like that while dealing with this whole college thing. Thanks for making me see my room in a better light!
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2005 at 11:43 PM
Really, I didn't know that the Salvation Army was a Church (actually, I think that they are a Christian organization), though I knew they help less fortunate people as a religious mission.
Anyway, mostly because usually the people that need help are too many for the funds that they can collect, the objects they can donate are second-hand, and the buildings that they use as shelters are not in the best shape (as far as I know, but mind that in some countries, including Italy, the Army is not well know, apart from some information borrowed by novels, movies, and so on...).

Therefore, sometimes second-hand objects and old buildings are referred to as "from Salvation Army", or "Salvation Army surplus", etc... Even in these forums can be found objects labelled in this way (by US resident, too):
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...42&postcount=27
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...73&postcount=88
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...9&postcount=168

Anyway, it's obvious that my dorm isn't owned nor managed by the Salvation Army: infact, the actual owner lives there, and gets paid by the students (a thing that the Salvation Army would never accept).
Let's say that the building is a relic left behind by the Salvation Army because it's become unusable for their purpose, and Mr. Poorman has bought it and transformed into a dorm...

I'm sorry if anyone has read something offensive between the lines, but please, take it easy...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 4th May 2005 at 12:14 AM
Excellent....
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 4th May 2005 at 12:21 AM
another interesting aside about the salvation army, my dad who fought in the korean war, among other places, and when shot down in china, made his way back, the american red cross wanted to charge him money for coffe, and the salvation army gave it to him for free. he would never support "them mothers" after that, only the salvation army.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 4th May 2005 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
Really, I didn't know that the Salvation Army was a Church (actually, I think that they are a Christian organization), though I knew they help less fortunate people as a religious mission.
Anyway, mostly because usually the people that need help are too many for the funds that they can collect, the objects they can donate are second-hand, and the buildings that they use as shelters are not in the best shape (as far as I know, but mind that in some countries, including Italy, the Army is not well know, apart from some information borrowed by novels, movies, and so on...).

Therefore, sometimes second-hand objects and old buildings are referred to as "from Salvation Army", or "Salvation Army surplus", etc... Even in these forums can be found objects labelled in this way (by US resident, too):
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...42&postcount=27
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...73&postcount=88
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...9&postcount=168

Anyway, it's obvious that my dorm isn't owned nor managed by the Salvation Army: infact, the actual owner lives there, and gets paid by the students (a thing that the Salvation Army would never accept).
Let's say that the building is a relic left behind by the Salvation Army because it's become unusable for their purpose, and Mr. Poorman has bought it and transformed into a dorm...

I'm sorry if anyone has read something offensive between the lines, but please, take it easy...

Boy! You sure are taking a lot of heat from naming the dorm "Salvation Army" (hehehe) You're right you'll never find a dorm like that one on campus especially in the Sims2. It is getting to the basics of poverty. Well done Numenor.

(hahaha)

"Smile when it rains"
Test Subject
#14 Old 4th May 2005 at 3:04 AM
Good job, downloading as I speak. My children went to Sunday school at the local SallyAnn as it was non-denominational.
I was not "insulted" in any way at your reference.
I also shop at the Sally Anns thrift shop. I think I recognize some of the furniture you used. LOL
Test Subject
#15 Old 5th May 2005 at 5:33 PM
this is a nice building love the slum like buildings
Field Researcher
#16 Old 7th May 2005 at 8:33 PM
I have a question about Mr Poorman. Does he have any memories of meeting other sims or is he a clean bodyshop/cas character?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 7th May 2005 at 11:53 PM
He is a "clean" character. BTW, since we are talking about him, I've experienced a little issue: the game doesn't alert me any more when my students have class in an hour.
I tried to remove the family (Mr. Poorman + young adults) from the lot and then transferring them again in; this fixed the problem, but now Mr. Poorman is treated as a young adult, too, and he is set to go to class (undeclared major).
Eh, I told that it was an experiment...
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:31 AM Last edited by themaltesebippy : 8th May 2005 at 3:36 AM.
Well I downloaded this house w/o the family and I gotta say, this is the PERFECT dump for my pansy cat boy (Eugene Furry) and that chick Marla from the students bin. I have it set up for 3 students (had to use dorm build cheat) and had the dormie move in and be my repair person. I had her call the maid and repairman and they didn't even finish their jobs the house was so stank LOL!

You are right about it not reminding them to go to class. I am not too worried about it for this dorm though I hope it doesn't effect other lots. This joint is for losers to get beat up anyway. (Except for my repair girl, The Queen of Hearts, I like her.)

Edit: Does not effect other lots. Good.
Test Subject
#19 Old 9th May 2005 at 8:48 AM
so you had no problems?
when i moved 2 sims onto that lot there were no outside walls only fences
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#20 Old 9th May 2005 at 10:09 AM
INTELLIVISION: it might be a stupid question, but you have the University, don't you? I'm asking this because I had the problem you describe only once, when I was trying to install a UNI lot on a base-game installation (using the Clean Installer). This lot is a dorm, so it won't work without the University.

On the contrary, if you have the EP (and I think so), try this:
1) Bulldoze the dorm and close the game
2) Install again the lot, start the game and place the lot in a University neighborhood
3) Access the lot in build mode (without moving sims in) and see if the wall are still missing.

This test will show you if the problem is embedded in the lot or it occurred when you moved your sims in it.

BTW: Nice nickname! But I was wondering: how old are you? Few people still remember the Intellivision, and they are not very young
Test Subject
#21 Old 10th May 2005 at 10:06 AM
I am 13 (AMAZING) i know about this because i used to play it before i got my nintendo 64. And sorrry i followed your instructions and it ended out hte same and yes i hav uni
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#22 Old 10th May 2005 at 10:33 AM
What is amazing is that you know (and played with) a console that was released more than 10 years before you were born!

As for the wall problem, I really don't know what to say... I guess this is another MMM (Major Maxis Mistery)

Have you installed, by chance, my invisible walls, or the custom pools made by Foreverjadon?
Field Researcher
#23 Old 10th May 2005 at 10:44 AM
You know come to think of it, mine just has fences too but I thought it was supposted to be that way. Looking at the pics, I see there are supposted to be walls.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th May 2005 at 2:43 PM
So, Intellivision is not the one having this problem... TheMalteseBippy, what about you? Do you have UNI and/or the invisible walls installed? What happens if you enter the lot in build mode from the neighborhood view? Can you delete/rebuild the walls?

And are you really from Malta? Lovely island!
Field Researcher
#25 Old 10th May 2005 at 11:15 PM
Yes I have Uni and I have never heard od invisible walls. I didn't try rebuilding the walls because I thought it was supposted to be that way. I could try later but I have alot of other stuff to do. No I'm not from Malta, my nym comes from an old movie.
Page 1 of 3