Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 1:56 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 30th Mar 2018 at 2:21 PM.
Default Why don't people like laundry?
Touching more about all sims series, just wondering why people oppose such feature/mechanic in the sims series? Just curious to know. I personally find it to be the same as washing dishes (though requiring a few more clicks) and knowing (some) people do ask for there to be more challenges in the game. Yeah, this thread may seem redundant, but I'm just curious to know.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 5:35 PM
I have found Laundry so far the best SP yet for TS4, Nearly all my played households now do some sort of laundry, if they don't own or have enough room for a Washing Machine or Dryer than they just have to regularly go to the Laundromat, where they can also meet new sims and have a lot of laughs on the way, I think this been a great value for $10, but not much I can say about the SP after that though...
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 5:54 PM
I personally like having realistic, mundane every day tasks in my games such as laundry. The only thing I don't like in this case is that they made it its own SP that was purely focused on laundry. I didn't follow the process EA went through that lead to laundry day being a thing, the whole fan poll and all, but I think a lot of people were made to believe the pack would include more eco-friendly things and not JUST laundry.

I got a little bit off topic there but regardless, I actually like having laundry in my games! I'm not sure why people are so against it, to be honest I don't see many people who are. Like in TS3, if you didn't want to bother with laundry, you had the choice to not put hampers and stuff on your lot. With TS4, you have the choice to not buy the SP. Simple, really.
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 6:28 PM
I'm actually glad that the whole laundry thing is completely optional. I freaking hate doing laundry, in real life (I do it because I like clean clothes) and in the game. I never ever touched the washer and dryer in sims 3 and I'm not going to do that in sims 4, either. No way. I find it as boring as watching the grass grow. Now, a laundromat on a community lot... that I like. Meet other sims, have fun, get some snacks from the vending machine, some coffee... it just has its own feeling to it. Maybe because I've never been to one in real life.
Theorist
#5 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I'm actually glad that the whole laundry thing is completely optional. I freaking hate doing laundry, in real life (I do it because I like clean clothes) and in the game. I never ever touched the washer and dryer in sims 3 and I'm not going to do that in sims 4, either. No way. I find it as boring as watching the grass grow. Now, a laundromat on a community lot... that I like. Meet other sims, have fun, get some snacks from the vending machine, some coffee... it just has its own feeling to it. Maybe because I've never been to one in real life.

Yeah, they're not like that irl. You don't talk to anyone, there's no where to "have fun" and there are no snacks or coffee or any other semblance of civilisation beyond the deafening drone of 50+ washing machines/dryers.

It's basically a place where you go to pay money to have someone steal your shit :v
dodgy builder
#6 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:48 PM
A laundromat with a bar or something should be a good business idea. Why have no one tried it before?
Theorist
#7 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
A laundromat with a bar or something should be a good business idea. Why have no one tried it before?

Same reason no one's built a coffee shop into a DMV.

To which my answer is "I have no fucking idea because they would be absolutely rich"

Get on it people *snaps fingers*
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Same reason no one's built a coffee shop into a DMV.

To which my answer is "I have no fucking idea because they would be absolutely rich"

Get on it people *snaps fingers*

I heard that there's a barber shop in LA that also functions as a bar. I have no idea how that works or how it's even practical but it apparently exists.
Theorist
#9 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by luxford
I heard that there's a barber shop in LA that also functions as a bar. I have no idea how that works or how it's even practical but it apparently exists.

As a cat owner I am used to the idea of getting hair in my drinks and everything else I eat. I would be okay with this combo.
Scholar
#10 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 7:57 PM
I do *like* the laundry pack, I love my sims being able to do laundry among their other chores, and I love the items that came with it but I have a few pet peeves about the pack:

1- constantly picking lint and brushing themselves off. JUST STOP and DO what I told you to do, you're FINE. Further, you're in you're underwear and not covered in a lot of lint right now. (So less 'brushing off' would be nice)

2-playful from warm laundry. I have never felt that way myself, I find that annoying. I'm glad they toned it down, because when the pack came out my sim almost died of hysteria at his own wedding. Another reason it is annoying. If you've gotten your sims flirty (like VERY flirty) and you instruct them to woohoo, they change into their underwear that is SUDDENLY WARM it changes their mood into playful and full on RAGE ensues. So I use Weerbesu's UI cheats extension mod to remove the playful moodlet every single time.

3- The unfixed glitch of 'clean laundry' being in a full hamper that does not allow you to wash it. I'm not sure if there is a way around it but I end up having to delete the hamper and its annoying.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:25 PM Last edited by thevogel : 30th Mar 2018 at 8:35 PM.
I think the reason the laundry thing didn't go as eagerly planned....is because they did a whole "eco living" marketing thing. I honestly don't know why they bothered creating a vote for what peeps wanted in the game when they obviously already had the laundry thing ready to go. Plus, you can't say the "eco living" was the winner and then.... Here's Laundry Stuff.

ummmm.... Wouldn't there be like Solar panels, electric Cars, and a group of Energy Efficient appliances that reflect a savings in the weekly bills delivered to the sims mailbox???? (No no no... this is EA we are talking about) Washer and Dryer... laundry. Okay, there must be some energy efficient sticker or something on the washer and dryer... right.... Eco living.

Why is the rum always gone?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:41 PM
I consider my laundry to be a major chore, so I do not subject my sims to doing it. I would rather have my sims spend time doing other things. I did the laundry in 3 just long enough to get the gnome.
Theorist
#13 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by thevogel
I think the reason the laundry thing didn't go as eagerly planned....is because they did a whole "eco living" marketing thing. I honestly don't know why they bothered creating a vote for what peeps wanted in the game when they obviously already had the laundry thing ready to go. Plus, you can't say the "eco living" was the winner and then.... Here's Laundry Stuff.

ummmm.... Wouldn't there be like Solar panels, electric Cars, and a group of Energy Efficient appliances that reflect a savings in the weekly bills delivered to the sims mailbox???? (No no no... this is EA we are talking about) Washer and Dryer... laundry. Okay, there must be some energy efficient sticker or something on the washer and dryer... right.... Eco living.

Why is the rum always gone?

That was all in the vote. Players basically had the choice to chose between power generation, preserving food, composting, and laundry :x

Their excuse is that the pack counts as "eco friendly" because it also includes a wash basin (that apparently takes 2.5 million years) and a clothesline.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:47 PM
Food to me is always more interesting than laundry! :D
Theorist
#15 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Food to me is always more interesting than laundry! :D

The reason many people here didn't vote for food preservation is because icemunmun announced in the same thread at the same time the vote was posted that they had already been working on re-creating the canning station form Sims 3. We figured they would do a better job than EA would have.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 9:02 PM
That was all in the vote. Players basically had the choice to chose between power generation, preserving food, composting, and laundry :x

Their excuse is that the pack counts as "eco friendly" because it also includes a wash basin (that apparently takes 2.5 million years) and a clothesline.

(face palm so hard almost knocked myself out) And that is why I don't buy or play TS4. Good god... that is the lame ass excuse they came up with???? Seriously???? See.... this is why we can't have nice things.... I need to break something now.
Alchemist
#17 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 9:11 PM
Yeah, they're not like that irl. You don't talk to anyone, there's no where to "have fun" and there are no snacks or coffee or any other semblance of civilisation beyond the deafening drone of 50+ washing machines/dryers.

It's basically a place where you go to pay money to have someone steal your shit :v

I was actually talking about how I had it set up in Sims 3. Sorry. Too bad they''re not like that in real life. We actually don't even have one in our town, now that I think about it.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 10:04 PM
I feel it should be apart of the base game and, yeah you can hate me for saying this - but force upon players. The reason is, a new sequel should have another form of chore/challenge, and I mean realism: you don't need to wash clothes, but dishes? Along with the condition that there will be laundromats (for the poor/preoccupied sims) and no stupids things like death by fuzzy clothes hysteria.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 10:11 PM

hey there's a place here called the wash n slosh that's a laundromat bar. I always wondered how many people got drunk and just forgot there clothes there or are way to eager to do the laundry: honey honey, let me take care of the laundry for you. baaha.
Scholar
#20 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:00 PM
I woulnt imagine anything more than a vending machine in a laundry mat. AS for the DMV lol, ours here in Surrey has a Coffee Monster next door to it. I like the idea of having multiple businesses on the same lot. So, make a coffee house strip mall with a laundry mat next door.
Scholar
#21 Old 30th Mar 2018 at 11:23 PM

When I had my first apartment (back in the Jurassic age), the laundromat I frequented had a little cafe in it. They had very good sandwiches and you could get a beer or a glass of wine. They also had a board with lightbulbs that corresponded with each machine, so you knew when your washer/dryer was finished without having to get up to check. It was pretty pricey though, especially since I had to take a cab there and back because there was no way I was dragging all that crap on the bus.
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 12:23 AM

I have heard of combo bars/laudromats before, usually under the moniker "Buds n Suds." (Or vice versa.)

ETA: there's a local tiny strip mall that features a soda shop (I kid you not; this joint has not changed since approximately 1965, including the music on the jukebox), a small bar owned by the same guy, and a laundromat (I think owned by someone else). They've been there, all right in a row, for at least 35 years.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 11:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I do *like* the laundry pack, I love my sims being able to do laundry among their other chores, and I love the items that came with it but I have a few pet peeves about the pack:

1- constantly picking lint and brushing themselves off. JUST STOP and DO what I told you to do, you're FINE. Further, you're in you're underwear and not covered in a lot of lint right now. (So less 'brushing off' would be nice)

2-playful from warm laundry. I have never felt that way myself, I find that annoying. I'm glad they toned it down, because when the pack came out my sim almost died of hysteria at his own wedding. Another reason it is annoying. If you've gotten your sims flirty (like VERY flirty) and you instruct them to woohoo, they change into their underwear that is SUDDENLY WARM it changes their mood into playful and full on RAGE ensues. So I use Weerbesu's UI cheats extension mod to remove the playful moodlet every single time.

3- The unfixed glitch of 'clean laundry' being in a full hamper that does not allow you to wash it. I'm not sure if there is a way around it but I end up having to delete the hamper and its annoying.

Agree the with your peeves. The clean laundry fix should be in the next regular patch - they said it would be in the 'patch after next' before the regular March patch, and the little one on the 20th was just an emergency patch to fix the skilling books that they'd borked. For now, I just have my Sims take the laundry to the washing machine every time they shower, so the basket never fills up.

I just like having something else for my Sims to do at home - I never use a maid, partly because they tend to leave messes behind, and partly because I want my Sims to do something besides working on their skills or homework. Maybe it's because I hate household chores myself - I like running a nice, orderly household I can't quite achieve in real life. (When I have an extra hour in which I could a) clean the house or b) have my Sims clean the house, the choice is obvious.)
Field Researcher
#24 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 2:35 PM
I like Laundry. It adds a real life chore into the game.

View all My Sims 4 Creations here https://kiarasimsfourmods.home.blog/

Patreon here www.patreon.com/kiarasims4mods

KiaraSims4Mods Discord - https://discord.com/invite/TykFPkY
Field Researcher
#25 Old 31st Mar 2018 at 6:16 PM
See the thing is... Laundry should not have it's own pack... just like the whole My first pet thing...should not have it's own stuff pack. Laundry should have been a part of the whole parenting pack or along with the Toddler patch. I see that more as homelife function....not "eco living".

The Eco living thing needed to be something new for the series that would enhance the damn game..... not bait and switch tactic.

I watch what they are doing to the fan base, both established and new. And I see the veteran sim players really trying to give EA the benefit of the doubt...and then the new players who just don't know any better. For EA...it's a win win. They lie lie lie, come up with lame excuses and deliver a half assed game along with half assed Game packs, Stuff Packs and Expansion Packs. The whole Laundry thing is just as bad as My first Pet, Backyard Stuff, and that Romantic garden or whatever the hell it was called pack. Broken up re-colors of existing meshes in the game and game bugs that will never be fixed.

So I don't think it's a matter of Why don't people like laundry (weather you like it or not IRL) for the game... it's the function and does it enhance the gameplay.... or just grind the game along like every other task?
Page 1 of 2