Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 1:45 AM
Default Toddlers "Careers" UI Question
Hello all!

I've been wanting to give some of my toddlers "placeholder" career titles, such as "Preschool: Au Pair", mainly for storytelling purpose, (the way children and teens have their elementary and high schools listed as part of their careers history - why not list a "preschool" too?).

The only thing that came close was using Nraas Debug Enabler which made possible to assign to toddlers, all the professions (Daycare, Interior Designer, University Student, etc.) and all the skill based careers (Painter, Sculptor, Angler, etc.).
- They all became fully visible in the toddler's "Careers" tab, effectively unlocking the regular "toddlers can't work" message.
- They were not actionable since toddlers cannot receive work opportunities and cannot enter rabbitholes or even leave their lots without a caregiver.
- That said, the profession objects were generated properly in the toddler's inventory (interior design book).

I do have custom schools, custom full time careers and custom skill based careers installed, and none of this custom content could be assigned to the toddlers. I understand that the code does not recognize toddlers as legitimate targets for this type of gameplay content.

My question is:
- Does that mean that toddlers can only be assigned these specific professions strictly as part of a "debug" process and zero custom school / full time career / skill career can *ever* be assigned to a toddler beyond debug mode?
- Or au contraire - does that mean that there *is* a way somehow to load custom content in the "Careers UI" of toddlers, but it will require pure scripting modding?

I would really appreciate your insights!
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 9:22 AM
It's actually because of the ITUN files that the game uses (See what ITUNs are here: https://web.archive.org/web/2014040...hp?topic=1588.0)

So career options that you see when a sim enters a rabbit hole and stuff, and then from the dropdown, you get to select all these other sub-topics your sim can do at work, etc. That 'age restriction' bit is all done by an ITUN, so it's not hardcoded in a script  Which is actually great! Because to get your idea working should, therefore, be relatively easy  In fact, if we look at the ITUN: GetJobInRabbitHole_RabbitHole we see that the age restriction is the following:

<AgeSpeciesAvail AgeSpeciesValue="C,T,Y,A,E" />

And that's obviously because kids have the after school activities  So I'd say, if you were to add "P" to the list, you might be able to have them get a job as a toddler from just that. You'd still need to make a custom career like so: https://www.modthesims.info/wiki.ph..._for_Beginners!

Else I'm totally fine to make a global script mod for you  Since it's actually not that difficult to make an interaction that you'd, say, you play as the toddler and you click on it and having an option, say, 'careers'. And from there seeing a list of careers to join
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jul 2020 at 1:20 PM
Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this, Lyralei!

I just tested your suggestion and unfortunately changing the ITUN file ages to "P,C,T,Y,A,E" did not unlock the ability for my toddler to get a job in a RH, and I still couldn't assign any careers or afterschool activities to her, using MC.

I would be grateful for your help! If a global script mod can unlock the Toddlers careers tab, then I say - let's do this.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 10:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPat
Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this, Lyralei!

I just tested your suggestion and unfortunately changing the ITUN file ages to "P,C,T,Y,A,E" did not unlock the ability for my toddler to get a job in a RH, and I still couldn't assign any careers or afterschool activities to her, using MC.

I would be grateful for your help! If a global script mod can unlock the Toddlers careers tab, then I say - let's do this.
I tried this myself just now as well, but really when it came to trying it on the computer, I could only get "play games" to work. I did look into EA's code as to why those other professions you say were actually available. I actually think it's because on a regular Career, once you join it, the game not only checks who needs to be your boss but also which clothing type would be available.

So even if we were to go down and create a script mod, the code wouldn't really return anything since somewhere there is either an ITUN or some piece of code that disables it for Toddlers and children. Still need to find it though!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
on a regular Career, once you join it, the game not only checks who needs to be your boss but also which clothing type would be available.

Ah ok! I didn't realize these pre-requirements existed. A teacher boss + toddler coworkers would be the cutest thing to see!
(The movie "Baby Boss" comes to mind, for some reason )

Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
So even if we were to go down and create a script mod, the code wouldn't really return anything since somewhere there is either an ITUN or some piece of code that disables it for Toddlers and children. Still need to find it though!

Let me know how I can help!