Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2020 at 12:51 AM Last edited by PurpleThistles : 29th Jul 2020 at 12:54 PM.
Default The Purge Rebooted
The Purge Rebooted Challenge for Sims 4
Credit for the original challenge - MistyDW
Credit for software used - Sims 4 Studio

*requires Eco Living, City Living, Seasons, Spa Day, Pets and Parenthood.
*The Purge Rebooted Challenge makes use of mods I have made to enhance challenge gameplay. These mods include custom aspirations, a new player achievement, changes to grilling and an override of the Future Cube object. The mod package is link at the bottom to this post, just download, unzip and place the three packages in your sims 4 mods folder.

Introduction

Has it really been a year already? Since that day where life as we knew it came to an abrupt end and our terrifying new existence began? Other dwellers, like ourselves, have come to call that day, The Purge. It was the day that the Aliens began their attack and a year on, still continue to pick us off, one by one.

We have a new enemy now. They were once dwellers like us, but this harsh, cruel new way of life has turned them into something else...something evil. We call them 'The Feral'. No longer capable of kindness, empathy and compassion, The Feral are cold blooded killers. They hunt us just like the Aliens. Some of us suspect the Aliens leave The Feral alone, because they are doing the Alien's job for them. All we know for sure, is there are less and less of us dwellers every day.

There is a higher chance of survival for us if we band together, so groups of us live together in underground bases. With electricity and indoor plumbing long gone, we each have roles to perform, to keep us all alive. Some gather the water, some search for food and others build what they can from the remains of our war torn world. With every passing day, it gets harder and harder for us to survive and I don't know how much longer we can go on for....

Getting Started

*Begin by making a random sim in cas. You wont actually be using this sim in any way, so I recommend just adding random aspiration and traits and naming.
*Choose Spring as your starting season.
*Place your random sim on any empty lot in Oasis Springs.
*Once you load into the game, immediately pause and in buy mode, purchase the future cube.
*Click on the future cube and you will see new options.
*Click on assign role. A notification will pop up to the top right with a role. Make a note of it.
*Assign roles until you have six different ones. These six roles are going to be your base dwellers roles.
*Use testingcheats on and cas.fulleditmode, then shift click on your random sim and choose edit in cas.

You can now create your six sims for your base. Use the new aspirations in the Purge Roles category to give each sim one of the six roles you made a note of. The Child and Dog roles (if you rolled them) do not have custom aspirations so assign any child aspiration you like. You can use any traits, but I recommend picking one negative trait for each sim for added gameplay and you will need to use the kleptomanic trait if you have a thief sim. Lifespan is up to you, though there are plenty of things once playing that decide on the lifespan of your sims, so a long lifespan does not guarantee anything!

Making Your Base

***IMPORTANT: Assign your lot the Off The Grid lot trait and Private Dwelling lot trait straight away. This does not get removed for the duration of the challenge. Leave the third lot trait empty.***

You can make your base any way you want. Money has no value in this challenge so use money cheats if you like. It wont help you stay alive! You can, however, only start with the following furniture and remember, you are off the grid so try to place functional off the grid furniture where possible:

*three single beds (cheapest)
*two couches, which seat two sims (cheapest)
*four kitchen counters (cheapest)
*one toilet, one shower, one sink (cheapest functional off the grid)
*one desk and one chair (cheapest)

I have made a starter base and put it on the gallery, under the #purgerebooted #purplethistles84 if you want to use that instead of making your own.

Once you are finished building your base, check each sim's aspiration description. Some roles tell you special items can be placed in the base, such as the leader role which allows you to add a mirror at the start. Add any starting items available and you are finally ready to start playing! Phew!

GAMEPLAY

Aspiration Goals and Rewards

Each of your sims with a role aspiration have a goal to complete. For example the leader role has the max charisma skill goal. Almost all roles have rewards for completing the goal. You can see what those rewards are in the aspiration description. For example, the leader role's reward is being able to place two power generators on the lot.

Events

Every second sim day (every other day), one of your sims must use the future cube once, to 'ask about today's event'. A notification will pop up to read. You must follow the event instructions. There are over 20 unique events you can roll.

Travelling and Encounters

Your sims will have to leave the safety of the base to travel for supplies such as fruit and vegetable harvesting, fishing, thieving and so forth. When you are ready to return back to your base or to go on to any other lot, BEFORE you travel, one of your sims must click on the future cube and 'Ask about encounter'. A notification will pop up, telling you what happens to your sims on their way back home. You must follow the encounter instructions. You must always roll an encounter whenever you have to return to your base or travel to another lot via the loading screen. There are over 20 unique encounters you can roll.

Attack Encounters and Attack Ratings

If you have an encounter where your group (not your household, only the sims travelling with you) is attacked, you will see that the encounter notification tells you what attack rating your enemies have. For example, it may say the enemies have an attack rating of 5.

Each sim in your group has their own individual attack rating, which you can see in their aspiration description. For example the leader role has an attack rating of 2.

You need to add together all attack ratings in your group (not household) of travelling sims, to determine the outcome of the encounter. For example, your leader has an attack rating of 2, your guard has an attack rating of 2, your chef has an attack rating of 1. So you add 2+2+1 = 5. Your groups attack rating is 5. It is a draw which counts as a win so you can then follow the encounter notifications instructions for a win. If your group attack rating was less than 5, you would lose and need to follow the encounter notifications instructions for a lose. If you lose an encounter, it is possible that one of your sims may have to 'die' (be removed from household). To work out who in your group has to go, you give each sim a number (in your head!) and use the future cube 'Random Number (1-8)' option to see who goes.

Attack rating increases are sometimes awarded for reaching a role aspirations goal. For example, the Guard role aspiration description tells you they have an attack rating of 2. However they can +1 their attack rating if they have reached their goal of level 10 fitness.

It is sometimes possible to roll an encounter that adds a new sim to your base. To determine their role, you must use the future cube's 'assign role' function unless the encounter specifies otherwise.

END GOAL

For those that like a proper ending, I have included a new player achievement, called Purge Master. This will unlock once you, the player, have completed all of the Purge Role aspirations and thus, completed the challenge. You can see the achievement and progress by pressing esc and clicking achievements, then player feats.

***RESTRICTIONS***

Roles
*Only one sim to a role. So one leader, one guard and so on. Not two or more of any role.
*Sims should perform their own roles as much as possible. However if it is necessary for another sim to perform a role that isnt their own, they cannot place the starting item for that role. For example, a leader sim that fixes a broken toilet because there is no handyman in the base, cannot place the handyman's starting item on the base.
*If you lose a sim that had a starting item on the base, the starting item does not have to be removed.
*Roles should always be assigned randomly, unless stated otherwise from ingame notifications.
*No sim can switch roles (change their role aspiration) unless stated otherwise from ingame notifications.
*For the thief role, your kleptomaniac sim can steal as much as they like. However if they get caught, you must use the future cube to roll a number between 1-8. If the number is even, your sim is safe and can go home. If it is odd, your sim is killed and must be removed from the base household. Be very careful about how and when you steal! If your thief steals something autonomously and gets caught, this rule does not apply so you can just ignore it.
*Only your homemaker can have children and only once they have unlocked the homemaker goal. You can of course, start with a child in your base, if it was one of your initial six roles at set up.
*Children do not have roles. They will have to go to school, unless you use a mod to prevent it. Once they grow up, they must be randomly assigned a role not currently in use on the base. Use the future cube to assign a roll and reroll as many times as needed until you get a role that isn't in use.
*If you have a dog in the base, they have an Attack Rating of 1. I haven't worked out a way to show that in game yet.

Food
*Recipes that do not require ingredients MAY NOT be cooked. No mac and cheese for example. Only recipes that need ingredients can be used for cooking meals. If a recipe does not have listed ingredients, it must be ignored.
*The Grills have been modded to require ingredients to cook meals (no more optional!) and to also require more ingredients for large servings. For example, you will now need 8 fruit to make grilled fruit, not 1. Food is supposed to be scarce.

Community Lots and Neighbourhoods
*your sims cannot use community lots other than for gathering/fishing/stealing purposes. No eating from community fridges etc. Even if your sims cant get back to the base for whatever reason....
*You are free to travel to any available neighbourhoods, however remember, if you have a loading screen, you must roll an encounter before returning to base.

Object Restrictions
* Power Generators must be powered using either bits and pieces or biofuel from bug farming. you may not buy fuel for them.
* Flowers must be found or grown for the flower arranging table, no buying allowed!

Gardening
*You will not be able to start a garden on the base until you have the Hippy. Once you have the Hippy you can have one unique plant for every variety of fruit/veg/flower/herb in the game, provided you can find some to plant that is!

Future Cube
*If you get an event or encounter you don't like, try to resist rerolling. Don't be that guy!
*Rerolling is fine however, if you get a result you already have, such as a role already filled or a random number for your group that's too high.

Aspiration Rewards
*you can freely spend your reward points on any rewards other than potion rewards and the moodlet solver, unless specified by an event or encounter.

GAMEPLAY TIPS

This challenge is intended to start of very hard and should get easier and easier as you progress through the aspirations. This is a post apocalyptic challenge however and anything can happen! There are certain things that may make life a little easier:

***TOP TIP: Give every sim in your base a future cube, for their inventories so there is always one available for use. Autonomy has been turned off so they wont use them without your direction.***

*Plants update around 5am in game time. Try to do any travelling for supplies around 4am and stay on the lot for the plants to update to harvestable. If you travel to a lot first thing in the sim morning, you will be waiting a LONG time for those plants to be harvestable!
*You can use the seasons calendar to create a holiday every second day for event rolls. Don't add any traditions and you can end the holiday as soon as it pops up, but its a good reminder to do the event roll at the start of the day, every other day.
*If you aren't confident about going travelling for supplies, look around your base area. You are free to gather and fish etc without needing to roll an encounter as you only need to roll one if you have to use the travelling loading screen.
*Once winter comes around, your garden will be pretty useless. If only there was a sim with a role that could make something for inside gardening...
*Your sims can make life a little more comfortable by gathering water at any fishing spot. The water will be stored on the base, meaning your sims can have longer, better showers.
*controlling a houseful of sims is hard. Before you go travelling, any sims you are leaving behind on the base can have actions queued up before you leave.
*it pays to have backup when you go travelling. If there is a sim not doing anything at the base, take them with you. An extra attack point can make all the difference.

I think that about covers it guys, so all thats left for me to do, is to wish anyone taking on this challenge the very best of luck! I have play tested however I'm sure you can see that this is a big challenge with a fair amount of modding, so if you notice anything, let me know. Also please do share any of your adventures with me! Please dont forget that it was MistyDW's original purge challenge that heavily inspired this one, she has other challenges too, so check them out!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  MTS_PurpleThistles_ PurgeRebootedV2.zip (122.8 KB, 203 downloads)
Description: unzip and place all three packages in mods folder.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 12:21 AM
Really cool challenge! I managed to get pretty unlucky and i have not rolled a leader, but i have rolled the celebrity. It says that I have to use the leader's mirror to raise their acting skill, but i don't have it. What should I do?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 8:11 AM
The celebrity is supposed to be a bit useless so you either need a thief to steal a mirror or a handyman to make a mirror or get lucky and have an event or encounter that gives you the chance of getting a leader. It’s possible to get an event or encounter that can result in getting skill books too, so for now you might just have to let your celeb lurk about the base or send them to gather water!

I am considering editing the chef role, as I didn’t realise for cooking fish off the grid, you need both the fridge and the stove, I thought you could cook from inventory.

I am totally open to ideas on this too, including event and encounter ideas, I can add them in and roles etc.
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 2:17 PM
I'll be sure to get my thief to nab a mirror. Thanks for replying!
Test Subject
#5 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 5:32 PM
About the chef change, maybe instead of being able to place a stove, maybe the chef should be able to place a grill since those don't require fridges?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 5:36 PM
Hmm, well I think I’ll leave that up to you, I guess it depends on how challenging you want it to be. In my game at the moment I have avoided dumpsters but I like to be really challenged! If we imagine in a post apocalypse type scenario, dumpsters would probably already have been looted so maybe set yourself some kind of limit on dumpster diving, like once every few days. That said I could easily add in some events for dumpster diving too ????

And thank you, for trying my challenge! I did spend ages doing it and making the mods so I’m delighted someone is playing it!
Test Subject
#7 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 6:16 PM
A dumpster diving event would be great! I'll probably just limit diving for deals to once an in-game week. Also sorry about deleting that question, I didn't want to ask too many questions about the challenge at once lol.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 10:28 PM
Okay, I have updated the challenge mods zip with the chef now starting with a grill and unlocking the stove and fridge after completing the chef goal. I have also made a new mod which removes recipes from the grill that dont have ingredients, increases the ingredients of recipes that do, and made ingredients required rather than optional. In other words if you dont have the ingredients you wont be able to cook. If anyone is using plasticbox use more fresh ingredients V2 mod, that will now need to be removed as it will conflict with my new grill mod.

I have also added a new dumpster event to the future cube.

If you are updating to the new mods zip, remove the purgerebooted package and decimationcube package from the mods folder, then unzip the new mods version and place all three packages in the mods folder.

I have tested the updated mods and all is working in my game, but if you come across any issues, let me know.
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 11:17 PM
Love the updates! Disabling the recipes that do not require ingredients will definitely help with knowing exactly what foods to get! I have another small question: One of the encounters that adds a person to the base says that "They have no use to the base". Doe this mean a role shouldn't be assigned to them? Again, great job on the challenge!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 26th Jul 2020 at 11:49 PM
Ah, the 'vision'! Yes this sim is literally useless and role less. They take up a valuable slot in your base. It would be a shame if anything should happen to them....like another event perhaps!
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Jul 2020 at 12:06 AM
Yes, it would be very upsetting if a feral just so happened to take a liking to that sim...
Test Subject
#12 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 12:28 AM
This amazing! I can't wait to set it up!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 1:21 AM
A few more updates have been made, once again remove old version from mods folder, download new version, extract and place the three package files in mods folder.

Changed the coward role starting item from the observatory to chess table, as I didn't notice the observatory doesn't work off the grid. Couple of spelling mistakes fixed, a new encounter added, two new events and a couple of adjustments to the text of some events that I felt needed a bit more explanation of what to do. Fixed an issue with forager stew on the grill and increased ingredients for tomato soup.

Thanks for bearing with me, its a big challenge with a lot of modding, so i expected to have to make some tweaks.
Test Subject
#14 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 6:41 PM
So I haven't roled a chef. What exactly does my sim eat? I do have a hippy tho.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 12:50 PM
Hi SimmerJohn, without the chef and no grill, your sims can eat harvestables from their inventories or placing them on the ground and clicking eat. A pain I know, but this challenge is supposed to be quite difficult. Some players are happy to go dumpster diving for deals and for meals, I haven't put any restrictions on that. Also if you have the thief they can steal food cooked by townies in the park.My thief made off with a complete party size serving of hot dogs on the first day. There are quite a few events and encounters that result in a new sim being added to your base and so chances to get the chef.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 1:04 PM
Another small update to the mod pack today, another player let me know that they felt the artisan goal to max fabrication was going to be too difficult so I have changed the artisan starting items to include a vertical planter and seed packet to increase the chances of getting soy plants.

Also a couple of rule changes:

No potions or the moodlet solver should be bought unless an event or encounter specifies otherwise. All other satisfaction rewards are allowed.

If you have the thief and they autonomously steal something and get caught, you can just ignore it. The rule for the thief only applies if you directed them to steal and they got caught.

This has all been added to the main post and hopefully doesnt affect anyones game play so far. I have purchased the Knifty Knitting pack and would love to use it for the geriatric role goal, however I dont want to exlude people that dont have it from doing the challenge. I think I will make two versions of the geriatric aspiration, one for singing and one for knitting, then people can choose as they see fit.
Test Subject
#17 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 1:02 AM
So what would be the reward for the geriatric role if you don't have knitting stuff?
Test Subject
#18 Old 9th Dec 2020 at 1:01 AM
I love this reboot. MistyDW's original was awesome and I was sad she never updated it to be current with the new packs. I've played this for years and have notebooks full of game notes.

Attempting my first reboot now, will update with questions ect. Thanks for doing this!

Edit: First question - How do we keep them warm during the winter?
Test Subject
#19 Old 25th Jan 2021 at 3:56 PM
I have a question regarding travel:

Do you do a travel event *each* time there's a loading screen (once to leave your base, and once to return to base)? Or only once when you travel (effects of event happen upon return only)?

Thank you for this amazing challenge! I'm a huge fan of your One Percent Challenge as well!
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Jun 2021 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lady_Jubbers
I have a question regarding travel:

Do you do a travel event *each* time there's a loading screen (once to leave your base, and once to return to base)? Or only once when you travel (effects of event happen upon return only)?

Thank you for this amazing challenge! I'm a huge fan of your One Percent Challenge as well!

My understanding from the original is every time you have a loading screen.
Test Subject
#21 Old 9th Feb 2022 at 7:19 AM
I think I'm going to attempt to update this challenge with the most recent packs. I've no idea how to make/edit mods, so we'll see what happens. This is my favorite sims challenge and none of the original creators keep up with it anymore. *sadness*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 25th Feb 2022 at 2:25 PM
I'm still here. The future cube modding is very simple. I havent played the sims in ages but I have all the packs bar the mens stuff pack and the new wedding pack. I may revisit this challenge to update for most recent packs.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 11:37 PM
Playing this and having fun and is challenging. My homemaker was a senior when she completed the flower making challenge and my artisan may die befor he can make enough candles... but oh well. Wish it was updated to with and cottage.