Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:07 AM Last edited by Prime : 5th Aug 2020 at 2:06 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default FIXED! Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Will Not start (windows 10) help? (video of the problem & DxDiag included)
Sims 2 Ultimate Collection isn't working on my computer anymore. It was working fine earlier but now whenever i try to start it up, it keeps crashing. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it but it still keeps crashing.
Can someone please help me fix this?
if you have any questions just ask.

Here's a video showing what's going on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSDfYWyx6b8

and here's the DxDiag on my computer: https://freetexthost.net/UEFdZuf
Please help ♥
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 9:53 AM
Did you delete cache files in documents?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 10:51 AM
Did you try -after deleting all the cache files, ( groups.cache, accessory.cache, Content Registry & cigen.package)
to run the game in window mode? Use or make a desktop shortcut, right-click, properties. Find the target window. Go to the end of the text and type: space bar (to make a gap) -w then click apply.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anhaeyn
Did you delete cache files in documents?

yeah. i did. it still isn't working though
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Did you try -after deleting all the cache files, ( groups.cache, accessory.cache, Content Registry & cigen.package)
to run the game in window mode? Use or make a desktop shortcut, right-click, properties. Find the target window. Go to the end of the text and type: space bar (to make a gap) -w then click apply.

i tried that too and it still didn't work. it didnt do anything when i clicked the shortcut
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 4:49 PM
Greets!

You didn't mention if you removed "everything" from the downloads folder, as well as deleting all the cache files, to prove the install is good.

If you didn't, you simply may have put in a bad package.

If you have done this, I suspect Origin has messed up the second install.

I suggest you verify the "programs" directory and the "game" directory locations.

You may have duplicates?

I'm guessing here, so good luck!

GS
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:47 PM
Also with The UC you shouldn't uninstall and reinstall, just right click in Origin and fix.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 6:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Savagegrace
Greets!

You didn't mention if you removed "everything" from the downloads folder, as well as deleting all the cache files, to prove the install is good.

i did that too. it still isn't working.

If you didn't, you simply may have put in a bad package.

If you have done this, I suspect Origin has messed up the second install.

I suggest you verify the "programs" directory and the "game" directory locations.

You may have duplicates?

I'm guessing here, so good luck!

GS

i checked where it's installed and everything. it's just that it crashes right when i try to load it really.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Also with The UC you shouldn't uninstall and reinstall, just right click in Origin and fix.

i tried that too, but it still isn't working. im wondering if it's an issue with origin.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 2:10 PM
Greets Again!

I know how frustrating it can be.

So? Are you willing to pick up some extra skills!?

If so, download Process Monitor from sysinternals.

1. Clear your desktop so you have easy access to the Sims 2 shortcut.
(Check that it has "Sims2EP9.exe -w" The space after the exe is required)

2. Bring up Process Monitor, the Main window and then the Filter window will open up.
change Architecture to Process Name (In the drop-down menu), place Sims2EP9.exe in the blank field and hit add.

3. Uncheck any other GREEN checks that might be there. Only Sims2EP9.exe should be checked.

4. Both windows can now be resized and positioned to allow easy access to your Sims shortcut.

5. Hit OK on the filter window. Nothing will show in the Main window. However, in the lower left you will see the Events counter increasing.

6. Hit the 3rd button that looks like a handheld Mic. This should stop the events counter.

7. Go two buttons over and hit it (Clear button). This will clear all captured Events

8. All 5 buttons on the left should be un-pressed, this prevents the data from showing at this time. (Too much, Too soon)

9. So prepare yourself, without "lingering in-between" press the Capture button, double-click on the Sims shortcut, after the crash, hit the Capture button to stop reading events.

10. If you have never seen how Windows "looks" though the Registry it can be a bit confusing, so we'll start with the Folders. So press the "File System Activity" button...ONLY.

11. Because it's crashing immediately, the amount of info you have to look though should be minimal. See anything interesting?

12. If not, hide the Folder info and hit the Registry button. A bit scary perhaps? Head towards the bottom....

13. I think you'll be able to figure it out from here!

...;-)
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 5:47 PM
Greets Again!

2. Bring up Process Monitor, the Main window and then the Filter window will open up.
change Architecture to Process Name (In the drop-down menu), place Sims2EP9.exe in the blank field and hit add.

3. Uncheck any other GREEN checks that might be there. Only Sims2EP9.exe should be checked.

4. Both windows can now be resized and positioned to allow easy access to your Sims shortcut.

5. Hit OK on the filter window. Nothing will show in the Main window. However, in the lower left you will see the Events counter increasing.

6. Hit the 3rd button that looks like a handheld Mic. This should stop the events counter.

7. Go two buttons over and hit it (Clear button). This will clear all captured Events

8. All 5 buttons on the left should be un-pressed, this prevents the data from showing at this time. (Too much, Too soon)

9. So prepare yourself, without "lingering in-between" press the Capture button, double-click on the Sims shortcut, after the crash, hit the Capture button to stop reading events.

10. If you have never seen how Windows "looks" though the Registry it can be a bit confusing, so we'll start with the Folders. So press the "File System Activity" button...ONLY.

11. Because it's crashing immediately, the amount of info you have to look though should be minimal. See anything interesting?

12. If not, hide the Folder info and hit the Registry button. A bit scary perhaps? Head towards the bottom....

...;-)

this was a bit confusing. im not sure if i did it right. i did see a lot of stuff listed saying "Name Not Found".
i'm probably not following your directions right but i'll try getting a video of it first.
Instructor
Original Poster
#12 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 6:05 PM
here's a video of me following your instructions here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdnU5UoYcUM

i was a bit confused on them. not sure if i did it right... did i do anything wrong? where did i mess up?
im still confused on how to fix this

Greets Again!

...;-)
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 7:22 PM
Hello!

MY BAD!!!

8. Should have been on the Right. (Sorry about that!)

Also you have all 5 buttons pressed, they shouldn't be blue.

Or to put it this way, you will see nothing or everything.

So press them until all is clear, then press the second button (of the 5 on the RIGHT this time), which shows the folders windows searched through.

Don't worry about - Buffer overflow - Sharing violation - Name Not Found (Usually it looks in several folders before it finds it - also not finding it may NOT be an error - yeah confusing!)

Let's ignore anything towards the top of the list.

Head towards the bottom, try to find what kicked the program out.

If nothing appears like full stop error, turn off the File view and turn on the Registry view (1st button of 5 on RIGHT)

Again, head towards the bottom.

So if you would, try to get a "feel" for what your looking at.

What you're seeing is how inefficient Windows is at starting up a program!

GS
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 7:44 PM
ok. i did that but im still not sure what im looking for. everything says "success"

but i did see this:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\ScaleFactors REPARSE

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers\Connectivity\ REPARSE

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001\CUIGamma40F04 REPARSE

C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\nvdrsdb1.bin FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS

im not sure what im looking for here, im still a bit confused

Hello!

MY BAD!!!

8. Should have been on the Right. (Sorry about that!)

Also you have all 5 buttons pressed, they shouldn't be blue.

Or to put it this way, you will see nothing or everything.

So press them until all is clear, then press the second button (of the 5 on the RIGHT this time), which shows the folders windows searched through.

Don't worry about - Buffer overflow - Sharing violation - Name Not Found (Usually it looks in several folders before it finds it - also not finding it may NOT be an error - yeah confusing!)

Let's ignore anything towards the top of the list.

Head towards the bottom, try to find what kicked the program out.

If nothing appears like full stop error, turn off the File view and turn on the Registry view (1st button of 5 on RIGHT)

Again, head towards the bottom.

So if you would, try to get a "feel" for what your looking at.

What you're seeing is how inefficient Windows is at starting up a program!

GS
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 8:22 PM
Not to worry, you're doing great for seeing the nightmare that goes on to get a program running.

So, the best way to do this is go all the way to the bottom, then go up, looking for "issues".

If you would, turn on both Folder and Register Views.

Go to the bottom, turn recorder on, and scroll up about a quarter of the way up.

Post the video and I'll take a look!

GS
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 2:42 AM
sorry it took me so long to send this.
here's the video showing whats listed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-MUeJoXPPE

i might be able to figure out a way to export the list so i can just paste it here or something, but let me know if that's helpful

Not to worry, you're doing great for seeing the nightmare that goes on to get a program running.

So, the best way to do this is go all the way to the bottom, then go up, looking for "issues".

If you would, turn on both Folder and Register Views.

Go to the bottom, turn recorder on, and scroll up about a quarter of the way up.

Post the video and I'll take a look!

GS
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 3:19 PM
Greets Again!

I'm writing notes on what I see so you can follow my thinking....

Please read the entire post before doing any of the things I bring up or ask you to do.

I want you to see the convoluted process that's going on.

Or jump to the Bottom and see Results first....This might be best....;-)

------------
Good catch on the Log files.

Does Origin write a log every time?

Or when problems arise?

You should read it!

When Sims 2 crashes, it to, makes a "Dump" file in the Sims 2 log Folder.

--------------
No no, it's not confusing, take it literally.

RegOpenKey is what it says.

It's opening the Register Key to take a look in it for a value.

Then it will close the Key (RegCloseKey) or RegQueryValue, perhaps meaning "What is this value".

For Files, it's What's in this Directory (QueryDirectory).

Create a new file (CreateFile), write info to file (WriteFile), then CloseFile.

See...makes sense!

-------------
Ho Ho Ho Merry Xmas!

A Sims "Dump" log was generated in its log folder - Sims2Exception 2020.07.29 14.38.10.txt

A new one will be generated every time a crash occurs.

It's in the Documents\EA Games\---Sims2 UC---\Logs\ Folder.

Warning, may or may not be helpful.

--------------
Wait What???

You have a series of Name and Path not found in the Sims folder..

But why is it looking for .pdb files?

A quick Google.

pdb can be debug files being generated.....

Wait....It simply may be looking for a creators exe copy that has Debug info.

I'm corn-fused.

Give me a sec....

----------------------

Dang, you took it to 1 quarter as it was getting interesting.

Okay, you need to look at both Origin and Sims Dump files.

To see if they can tell you what's happening.

----------------------

If not, "Save" the file.

Go ahead and save it in the default .PML extension that Process Monitor uses.

WARNING!! I just tried this using "opening SimPe".

The bloody thing was a 112 meg file.

It's fine by me, I have fiber optics, what about you?

Your file could be MUCH larger!

----------------------

Okay, that was the first look thru.

Let's backtrack...

At 3:15 on the video we see where Sims2Exception log was generated.

So we know the Crash occurred before that.

However that's about when you jumped to 1/4....bummer

Wait one, just before that Direct3D is checking for FullDebug.

Directx issues?

--------------------- Results

Sadly, your problem appears to be right above where you jumped.

So, here are the things for you to look at:

That first log you caught needs to be checked:

1. 2:17 - C:\Users\joeis\AppData\Local\Orgin\Logs\|GO.Log.SimsEP9_12740.txt

(Not sure what charactor before GO is)

(You will need to unhide hidden folders to see this)

Origin inserts a dll to generate this log right above this txt.

So, No idea what it could generate into this file.

2. 3:15 - C:\Users\joeis\Documents\EA Games\--S2UC--\Logs\Sims2Exception --xxxx--.txt

Most of the time, not real useful.

3. For giggles, run a Directx test and verify it's working.

4. Check above 3:15 to see if you can find the problem, you are real close to it!

5. Lastly, make another video showing me whats above 3:15 ( just a 1/4 inch more on the sidebar will do)
or save it to a file and we'll figure out a way to get it to me....;-)

Hang in there!

GS
Instructor
Original Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 9:26 AM
i was able to save the process monitor file. here it is. it's exported as a PML file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/ndco...ogfile.PML/file
that should be able to show everything, but let me know if it doesn't.

Also, i could also upload the log files too if you want me too

Sadly, your problem appears to be right above where you jumped.

So, here are the things for you to look at:

That first log you caught needs to be checked:

1. 2:17 - C:\Users\joeis\AppData\Local\Orgin\Logs\|GO.Log.SimsEP9_12740.txt

(Not sure what charactor before GO is)

(You will need to unhide hidden folders to see this)

Origin inserts a dll to generate this log right above this txt.

So, No idea what it could generate into this file.

2. 3:15 - C:\Users\joeis\Documents\EA Games\--S2UC--\Logs\Sims2Exception --xxxx--.txt

Most of the time, not real useful.

3. For giggles, run a Directx test and verify it's working.

4. Check above 3:15 to see if you can find the problem, you are real close to it!

5. Lastly, make another video showing me whats above 3:15 ( just a 1/4 inch more on the sidebar will do)
or save it to a file and we'll figure out a way to get it to me....;-)

Hang in there!

GS
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 12:58 PM
Greets!

I'm looking now and may need to do a comparison so hopefully I'll have something definitive for you shortly.

Origin however seems to be sticking it's nose into everything.

Are you using oculus by the way?

Why would SimsEP9.exe be looking for oculusmedium.exe?

Also I would like to apologize.

Had I thought this through from the beginning.

I would have had you do your recording from where the crash log was created!

Would have saved you a lot of effort.

Live and learn....
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:23 PM
Well, normally I see something that's clearly the problem. No dice with yours....so.

I think it's Origin messing things up.

We'll try a few easier things first that may point to other directions.

Okay, we'll go from easiest to painful.

1. Check your Sims 2 shortcut, switch between full screen and window mode and Run.

Both crash? Yes. Next.

2. In the search box on the toolbar, enter dxdiag. Then select dxdiag Run command.

This is the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Click the "Next Page" X4 and look for "No problems found" on each page (Under "Notes")

All Good? Yes. Next. No? Reinstall or Repair

3. Do you have other Origin games? Check to see if they run ok.

4. A. Origin - Has it updated recently? Yes? Goto C. No? Goto B.

B. Did you Clear your Origin Cache prior to re-installing Sims 2? No? Goto C. Yes? Punt!!!

C. Put this in your Search engine: clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games

Choose the help.ea website and follow instructions.

Apparently this is an all too often issue with Origin.

Some Origin uses call it's Launcher a Trash Launcher.

Also, make sure you don't use "Locate Game" in Origin, it will cause it to crash every time you open Origin.

At least that's what the oh so happy people are saying....;-(

Well Prime, thanks for hanging in there, wish I had something rock solid for ya.

GS
Instructor
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 12:49 PM
well, i tired all of that and it still isn't working.
it said "no problems found" under the notes when i tried doing the DirectX Diagnostic Tool
i also tried looking up the clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games and followed the instructions
and even clicked the 'repair' option for it in origin

it still didnt work
it's weird because it's working fine on my other computer i been playing sims 2 for 14 years and never had a problem like this

Well anyway, here's the log folder from my documents/ea games/sims 2 ultimate collection directory: https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ssvtis1ybjby6m/file

i put it in a rar file.
i was thinking perhaps something there might reveal what's going on...

Well, normally I see something that's clearly the problem. No dice with yours....so.

I think it's Origin messing things up.

We'll try a few easier things first that may point to other directions.

Okay, we'll go from easiest to painful.

1. Check your Sims 2 shortcut, switch between full screen and window mode and Run.

Both crash? Yes. Next.

2. In the search box on the toolbar, enter dxdiag. Then select dxdiag Run command.

This is the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Click the "Next Page" X4 and look for "No problems found" on each page (Under "Notes")

All Good? Yes. Next. No? Reinstall or Repair

3. Do you have other Origin games? Check to see if they run ok.

4. A. Origin - Has it updated recently? Yes? Goto C. No? Goto B.

B. Did you Clear your Origin Cache prior to re-installing Sims 2? No? Goto C. Yes? Punt!!!

C. Put this in your Search engine: clear-cache-to-fix-problems-with-your-games

Choose the help.ea website and follow instructions.

Apparently this is an all too often issue with Origin.

Some Origin uses call it's Launcher a Trash Launcher.

Also, make sure you don't use "Locate Game" in Origin, it will cause it to crash every time you open Origin.

At least that's what the oh so happy people are saying....;-(

Well Prime, thanks for hanging in there, wish I had something rock solid for ya.

GS
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 2:34 PM
Mercy Prime!

Let's start from the beginning.

Okay, the game "was" good, went "bad", got re-installed.

If you hadn't re-installed and we did all of this I would go with a chkdsk /f making the assumption the hard drive glitched a Sims file.

Your original error was your cache files not being deleted or your downloads folder had one or more bad packages.

After doing your latest repair, you had nothing in your Downloads folder and of course your cache files were deleted prior to starting the game?

If you did the last prior to starting the game I'm going with a BAD Origin install.

Have you "Repaired" or Uninstalled and Reinstalled Origin?

GS
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 4:37 PM
i actually just uninstalled and reinstalled origin. and i also tried the 'update' and 'repair' option for the sims 2 ultimate collection and it still crashes whenever i try to
load it.
and yeah, i did delete the cache files before restarting the game and i had nothing in my download folder

Mercy Prime!

Let's start from the beginning.

Okay, the game "was" good, went "bad", got re-installed.

If you hadn't re-installed and we did all of this I would go with a chkdsk /f making the assumption the hard drive glitched a Sims file.

Your original error was your cache files not being deleted or your downloads folder had one or more bad packages.

After doing your latest repair, you had nothing in your Downloads folder and of course your cache files were deleted prior to starting the game?

If you did the last prior to starting the game I'm going with a BAD Origin install.

Have you "Repaired" or Uninstalled and Reinstalled Origin?

GS
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 5:16 PM
Okay that's it.

Nothing irritates me more than a 3rd party making life difficult.

From your rar file Origin adds an Activation.dll to the game.

I personally would try running the SimsEP9.exe directly.

However, a couple of days ago I posted this question: Origin Launcher Questions

Ovenhole stated: " I used to run Sims 2 entirely without Origin, but a while ago there was an update that made it so you can't run the game via the exe anymore. "

If this is still the case it makes it impossible to do a 50\50 check (Origin or Sims) by running Sims 2 without Origin.

Sadly Prime, I'm done. You are now officially past drastic mode.

Does Original allow it to be uninstalled and allow the games to be kept?

If so I would uninstall Origin and run The Sims to see if THAT works!

Personally, I would Stop Origin's Service, Disable it, Reboot and try running SimsEP9.exe

I DO NOT advise you to do this.

I don't know what "hidden" ramifications this might have for you.

Yo! Other Readers, any opinions?

Other than shooting your computer I'm at a loss.;-)

Carry on Prime.

GS
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#25 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 7:17 PM
Page 1 of 2