Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 4:15 AM
Default Group conversation question
Does anyone know what causes the relationship penalty when sims do romantic socials while in a group conversation? I'm working on a mod for committed polyamory (I've talked to a couple people about it over on the NRaas forums, since I needed advice on making it work with Woohooer; I just have a different username there) and I'd like sims to not mind PDA in a group conversation if they're in polyamorous relationships with the sims involved. I've been looking, but I'm not sure what to edit/if it's possible to prevent this.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 6:24 AM
And a related question since I've been scouring the forums for info on this for the last couple days and not found much - is Sims MX's answer here the most complete description there is of what the contents of the SocialData XML/the fields of a SocialData object are? It's definitely excellent and the only reason I was able to make my social interactions at all, but I'm trying to understand some things it doesn't cover.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 10:58 AM
Okay, I realize these multiple posts may be annoying but I just found the answer to my own question (the second one, at least) again so here it is for future reference: The SocialManager under Sims3.Gameplay.Socializing contains the key to what appears to be all the XML tags. I know how to set jealousy levels for custom interactions now! And make their availability dependent on known traits without using the test function! I'm even slightly less baffled by LHS rules, it's amazing!
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#4 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:14 PM
Hey no problems about the double posting! Sharing your progress in searching for an answer is totally okay  It would be different if you were bumping the thread with question marks that would be a whole different story :p

Regarding this though:

Quote:
I'd like sims to not mind PDA in a group conversation if they're in polyamorous relationships with the sims involved.
IIRC there was a way to reset this variable wise. Especially since Nraas also seems to have a boolean (I believe) that turns off the entirety of the jealousy stuff. So it must be possible somewhere :p I'll look into it a bit deeper for you as well in the meantime!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lyralei
Sharing your progress in searching for an answer is totally okay

Awesome, I want to leave some help behind for the next person searching the same keywords I tried to.

I actually have finally got the jealousy handled! Chain_Reaction suggested I stop Woohooer's jealousy code from running by just turning it off from the menu like you say, and then since Woohooer already shuts down EA's jealousy that leaves mine as the only jealousy-handling mechanism still standing.

It took some finagling, but as of last night everything to do with jealousy and establishing multi-partner committed relationships outside of EA's system seems to work! But the negative reactions I'm still getting are independent of jealousy - they're just a small relationship hit that happens if 3 sims are all talking to each other and 2 get romantic, because the third finds that rude If you don't make the flirters stop the PDA-disliking one will walk away in a mild huff, and it barely dings their relationship but it bothers me to see when they're supposed to all be together. I probably wouldn't even have noticed if I hadn't been testing my jealousy code the way I was (no autonomy, needs frozen, makes multi-sim conversations way more sustainable than normal).

From my trawling through the code since my first post, I think the answer might be something to do with ThirdPartyRespondToSocial or Conversation.IsSuitable or the LHS rules from the SocialData table, since those all deal with multi-sim interactions and how a third party feels about what the other two are doing; but I haven't gotten much farther than that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 9:24 PM Last edited by lizcandor : 2nd Aug 2020 at 12:06 AM.
Okay, here's where I'm at on this - no success yet but maybe writing out what I've learned as I trace the calls will help me understand.

And I just realized this is getting long, sorry! Will break it up by finishing in a new post.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 12:02 AM

I guess my conclusion at this point is I need to make it so if the third party to a romantic social interaction is in a polyamorous relationship with the actor and the target, the SocialRule in the SocialInteractionA.mEffects dictionary has LHS.LTROverride non-negative, LHS.STEffectCommodity neutral or one of the positive ones, and ResultingResponsePositive true. Maybe I can add a new SocialRule with the necessary SocialRuleLHS and ResultingResponsePositive to every romantic interaction, with a script mod based on Woohooer's interaction replacements because XML coding is painful.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 7:19 PM
Still no luck on stopping sims' distaste for PDA, but I have managed to 1) accidentally discover how to prevent sims from getting their reputations lowered by being seen "cheating" by sims who shouldn't consider what they saw to be cheating (set the event listener I use to apply my custom jealousy standards not to run UpdateRomanceVisibilityForPdaIfNecessary - which doesn't call CheckCheating before pushing accusations and so wasn't affected by replacing CheckCheating - when I don't think it's necessary), and 2) insert a new SocialRule for every romantic social that uses a custom procedural precondition to ask if the third parties to the social are in a relationship with the actor and/or the target.

I can't tell if that rule is actually being used, though, although its procedural precondition function definitely runs and outputs the correct answer; and I don't really know that it would stop the PDA reaction if it did run, I'm just guessing based on what I figured out in my previous posts. I'm going to check out ReactToSocialParams and see if there's a reaction broadcaster that may be doing this instead, and also try to make the social rule I inject do really wild things just so I'll be able to tell if it was used or not.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 11:36 PM
Changing the intended commodity types for all the romantic interactions from amorous to friendly stops them from triggering a relationship hit for the bystanders; but it also makes the targets just respond with a shrug, and no one's relationship changes for worse or for better, which isn't the goal. And even without the relationship hit, if I run an interaction that manages to get to the "amorous" short term context anyway the third parties still walk away, just without losing relationship points. Turns out that's because of a field of SocialInteractionA, mPairedSocial; if it's true, then when that interaction is used in a group conversation every sim but the actor and the target will see themselves out. So I made the procedural precondition for the LHS rule I've injected into the action data for every romantic interaction set mPairedSocial to false if the sims are polyamorous, and that stops sims from immediately ditching the conversation if their partners kiss in front of them, although they still take a relationship hit and will still walk away if two romantic socials in a row are done to someone other than them.