Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 1:48 AM Last edited by amber2403 : 6th Aug 2020 at 3:58 AM.
Default HQ Mod - Game Missing Eye Colors?
I'm in the process of extracting and up-scaling my game files for HQ Mod. I know there are packages out there I can download (and I may go that route eventually), but I'm also trying to learn how to do it myself just because I like to educate myself. I've extracted the RLE2/RLES textures from the following Base Game Files:

ClientDeltaBuild6
ClientDeltaBuild7
ClientDeltaBuild7
ClientFullBuild6
ClientFullBuild7
ClientFullBuild8

I've gone through all of the other packages as well, but can't find RLE2/RLES textures in those. HOWEVER, I'm trying to separate the eyes from the rest of the texture (in the event that I ever want to replace them with CC Defaults). I've found all of the eye textures in the CFB either 6, 7 or 8.. Didn't see any eye textures in the CDB 6, 7 or 8.

And I'm still missing the following:
8E26A70BFB453555
6276DE9018CC3364
842456E70D4C29E0
04FB8AF461A6B6FA
DE3934C1BEA4591E

I've compared the eye textures I've found to other files out there available, which is why I noticed that I'm missing the above.

My question is this: is there another place where I should be checking package files for eye textures within the game files? If so, can someone direct me to where that is?

Thank you!

ETA: .. I did some searching online and found this: https://sims-4-files.fandom.com/wiki/Eyes ... This post says there are only 13 eye colors, which is what I've found. But the original HQ files I'd downloaded show 18 total. Also, the Sims 4 Studio, if you are to choose eye color under CAS Parts shows 18 colors as well (although, there are no diffuse maps associated with the 5 I'm missing). I'm not sure why that is? I've uninstalled and reinstalled. Doesn't fix it, I also have tried repairing the game. That doesn't work either.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 11:11 AM
This is what I THINK happened:

With the Eco patch EA changed to a new type of image format for eye colors and makeup. So far, none of our tools can read this format. For whatever reason, links in the CASPs still point to an RLE image but the RLEs are empty and there's a new format image with the same instance number which the game apparently uses instead.

The original game had 13 eye colors. Those RLE diffuse images are in the FullBuild packages which are not updated in patches. The missing 5 eye colors were introduced into the DeltaBuild packages by later patches, and those packages were updated by the Eco patch to have empty RLE images and the new format. Those original RLE eye textures are just gone. (If you're using S4S to extract them, it seems to automatically filter out the empty RLEs so as far as you can tell they're just missing.)

I ran into the same problem making my default replacement eyes and makeup for HQ to correct the skin suit problem when an HQ game tries to use the new format images. (https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=643586) I ended up pulling the textures from the existing HQ mod files. This applies to makeup too - anything introduced in a patch has an empty RLE now. I never could find most of the facepaints.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Aug 2020 at 4:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
This is what I THINK happened:

With the Eco patch EA changed to a new type of image format for eye colors and makeup. So far, none of our tools can read this format. For whatever reason, links in the CASPs still point to an RLE image but the RLEs are empty and there's a new format image with the same instance number which the game apparently uses instead.

The original game had 13 eye colors. Those RLE diffuse images are in the FullBuild packages which are not updated in patches. The missing 5 eye colors were introduced into the DeltaBuild packages by later patches, and those packages were updated by the Eco patch to have empty RLE images and the new format. Those original RLE eye textures are just gone. (If you're using S4S to extract them, it seems to automatically filter out the empty RLEs so as far as you can tell they're just missing.)

I ran into the same problem making my default replacement eyes and makeup for HQ to correct the skin suit problem when an HQ game tries to use the new format images. (https://modthesims.info/download.php?t=643586) I ended up pulling the textures from the existing HQ mod files. This applies to makeup too - anything introduced in a patch has an empty RLE now. I never could find most of the facepaints.

Interesting. Very good information. I'd assumed the 5 colors I was missing were introduced in an update of some sort, so I did scour the DeltaBuild packages as well, going line by line and looking for eye textures after searching the values didn't work. Never found them. This is all good information to know, and it seems like you might be right. Thank you!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2020 at 7:53 PM Last edited by amber2403 : 7th Aug 2020 at 10:09 PM.
This is separate from the eye colors issue I posted about above. I figured out the HQ Mod and got my base game textures working well.

So I then tried to move on to converting the SP17 Knitting Pack textures, following some tutorials I found online. The textures show up in-game. However, there's a black line around them. I've attached a screen shot to illustrate what I mean. Anyone know what's going on here? Is this a result of the update as well? Or am I doing something wrong during the up-scaling process?

I'm exporting the files to PNG using S4Studio, then batch up-scaling them using Photoshop, re-importing them back into the file as a PNG.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o41lhrxt2...2%A0PM.png?dl=0

I did some online research and some testing, and I figured it out what was going on.