Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2021 at 12:24 PM Last edited by Zarathustra : 21st Dec 2021 at 6:30 AM.
Default Sims Olympic Games - Building Contest

CONTEST CLOSED DUE TO LACK OF ENTRIES

The Tokyo Summer Olympic Games ended a few months ago, and we're only a few months away from the start of the Beijing Winter Olympic Games! It's been far too long since we've had a major contest in the MTS community, so now seems like the perfect time to invite our own global community to come together in a friendly competition to create their own Sims Olympic Village!

Qualifications to host:
I have been a contestant (and winner) in Karen Lorraine's "Build a Resort" contest a few years back (and have heavily based this contest on the framework she used), and outside the Simming world, I have run contests/committees for large groups both through my job and during my undergraduate and graduate school years.

Concept:
The idea of this contest is to choose a global location to host the Olympic Games, build an Olympic Village with event and support venues, and stage photos with Sims to show off your creations in action! There will be four main rounds after the application round. Your creations don't have to be playable for this contest, but if you want to eventually upload them you'll need to ensure that they meet all the relevant Creator Guidelines.

Judges:
I will need 3 volunteers to serve as judges throughout this competition, as well as an emergency backup judge (should any of the 3 main judges have to drop out midway through). I can be the emergency judge if necessary, but I would prefer to be able to devote all my time to answering the many, many questions that always come up during a contest! If you would like to apply as a judge please post an image of a building you have created yourself, as well as a list of which Sims game(s) you personally have experience with.

Judge 1Judge 2Judge 3Emergency Judge
joandsarah77cutsocksAdonisPlutoCatherineTCJD

Contestants:
Simmers of all skill levels are welcome to join this competition (after all, for a long time the Olympics was specifically an amateur competition!) Having experience with building lots and staging photos may be advantageous, but it's certainly not required, and this might be a great way to build your skills in a new direction! For this game a minimum of 10 contestants will need to sign up for the contest to proceed, with a maximum of 30 being allowed.

ContestantGameTotal PointsApplication RoundScoreR1ScoreR2ScoreR3ScoreR4Score
justJonesTS4xSamoaxxxxxxxxx
Frodo1990TS3xNeo-Vaticanxxxxxxxxx
JustpetroTS2xKwaZulu-Natalxxxxxxxxx
ZenGardenTS3xÅre, Swedenxxxxxxxxx
VolvenomTS4xOslo, Norwayxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Overall contest rules:
-This contest is open to Simmers using TS2, TS3, and TS4, though you may only compete using one game.
-Custom Content (CC) is allowed, though bonuses will be given each round for creations and photos that are CC-free!
-All images must meet the relevant MTS screenshot guidelines for screenshot quality and size
-One image in each round's submission must be selected for individual scoring, and should be staged with Sims performing whatever activities would be appropriate for that venue (athletes, spectators, judges, officials, etc.... It's up to you how to stage this!)
-All but the image chosen for special judging in each submission post must be placed under Spoiler tags (think of the poor people with slow internet connections, or people viewing on a mobile device!)
-Each round will last two weeks, to give plenty of time for contestants to come up with their submissions.
-Late submissions can still be made up to 1 week after the end of a round, but will incur a 5-point penalty for each day they are late.
-Last and most important, have fun!

Scoring:
-5 points will be awarded by the host on top of the total score for each round with no use of CC in the submission
-Each round will receive up to 20 points from each judge

-Building/Decorating skill (up to 5 points)- Is your location aesthetically pleasing? Does it look like it would function for the role it fills?
-Fitting the theme of your host city (up to 5 points)- Does your submission feel like a part of the global location you've chosen as your host city?
-Meeting venue requirements (up to 5 points)- Did your submission meet all the requirements listed, both general and for the venue you chose to create?
-"Live Action" photo (up to 5 points)- Does the staged photo you selected to show your venue "in action" capture a moment that is fitting for the venue and do so in a compelling way?

Once the contest is completed, Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals will be awarded to the top three overall highest scoring contestants, with each receiving a "contest winner" ribbon to mark their accomplishment! (The Gold medalist will sadly just have to imagine hearing their national anthem playing as their country's flag is raised before a massive audience!)

Application Round:
Build an Olympic Cauldron/Torch as the centerpiece of your Games. This is a smaller 'centerpiece' lot for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies rather than an actual event venue. You'll also need to choose what global city/location is hosting your Olympics, and give us a short summary of what it’s like- you can pick a real-world location to imitate, or a location you've invented yourself in your game, but it needs to have a clear national 'flavor' that you will incorporate into all of your submissions!

Application Round Countdown Timer

Venues for later rounds:
For each of these 4 rounds you will pick one of the following venues to create using the specific lot size and incorporating the special requirements provided by the host at the start of each round. You can choose from them in whatever order you like, but by the end of the contest you need to have made 3 different Event Venues and 1 Support Venue. Pay attention to what you're choosing for your event venues- you don't have to make them functional (since some games or EP/SP combinations would otherwise have a huge advantage when it comes to certain venues), but think about how you'll handle your staged event photos for each location you pick! Don't be scared away thinking that these all have to be massive construction projects- I’ll try to be sure you have space for that in some rounds if you want to go that route, but as with many other parts of the Sims world, your venues can be scaled down dramatically from their real-world counterparts, you're really just trying to capture the excitement and feel of the Olympic Games!

And now, it is my great pleasure to declare these Sims Olympic Games open!
Screenshots

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 9:34 AM
I will sign on as a judge. I play Sims 2

Screenshots

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#3 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 1:20 PM
I'll toss my hat in the pool for judging. While I'm primarily a CAST Sims 3 builder/player, I have experience with the Sims 2 (and all expansions) and the base game of Sims 4.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Dec 2021 at 10:56 PM
Default five House
this is a house for five sims who will live to hope you like the house
Screenshots
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 12:57 AM Last edited by justJones : 7th Dec 2021 at 2:04 AM.
Question: I want to have Samoa host. I'd like to build in Sulani. There's only one 30x30 lot and it's 75% water. Can I build on a 40x30 if I "block off" a 30x30 are for the build and just don't use the extra? Also, 3 stories, does the "roof" of the second story count? If that makes any sense.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 1:03 AM
I am putting myself up for the Emergency Judge...

I'm really short on time right now - I'm a church choir director and I make/sell a lot of jewelry at this time of year.
But, I love the contests on here - as the old TS2ers know!
I have participated in many TS2 contests - both as a judge, and as a contestant. I even won one once .
Here's an example of one of my builds:

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 2:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by justJones
Question: I want to have Samoa host. I'd like to build in Sulani. There's only one 30x30 lot and it's 75% water. Can I build on a 40x30 if I "block off" a 30x30 are for the build and just don't use the extra? Also, 3 stories, does the "roof" of the second story count? If that makes any sense.

I'm going to have to say no, just because it seems like shifting lot sizing requirements would invite trouble in later rounds. That being said, I'd love to see what you come up with for a Samoan games, and I would be very curious to see an Olympic torch on the beach or even out over the water, so I hope you still pursue this angle!

ETA: And yes, assuming you're asking what I think you are, the roof level can count so long as you're still incorporating that level architecturally. You might want to post a screenshot to illustrate what you're referring to though, just so there's no confusion on that point (it certainly doesn't have to be a screenshot of your intended submission, just something to show exactly what situation you're referring to!)

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 2:11 AM Last edited by justJones : 7th Dec 2021 at 2:34 AM.
Oh I'm definitely sticking with Samoa for the host.

I'm pretty sure we're on the same page. Imagine 2 stacked rooms with a statue on top (obviously this is not what I'm building). The statue is technically the third floor, correct?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 2:35 AM
Yes, that would be fine! You basically just can't have two levels and then a flat roof with nothing on it- you need to include something to make use of that third floor to meet that requirement.

Also, just to make sure this is communicated to any TS3 and TS4 players as well as my reply to a few people in the TS2 forums, for those of you concerned about the contest builds being too big, the idea I'm going for is kind of similar to the dorms in the University expansions- real life dormitories might have hundreds or even thousands of students living in them, but dorms in the game will have a few dozen at the most! Same for these sports venues- I'm not expecting massive stadiums (the baseline for almost all the venues is 30 seats, which isn't much- just picture 10 couches! ), I'm much more curious to see the global flavors people work into their builds!

dodgy builder
#10 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 6:34 AM
Hei! I'm on my phone so haven't read all yet. I guess you can't really close the application round before you have all judges etc, or will this first round also be 2 weeks?
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#11 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 8:20 AM
Re: CC free bonus. I'm assuming from the rules that CC on sims in the staged pic, does count against the no CC bonus. But what about poses? I would think those wouldn't count as CC, but I'd like to know for certain.
Alchemist
#12 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 9:03 AM
I would love to be a contestant or a judge

- I've played The Sims since 2004 and I still do it religiously.
- I am a HUGE fan of the Olympic Games. It dominates my life whenever it occurs. The winter games are the biggest ones in my society (as opposed to the summer games) as I live in a cold climate where winter sports are huge. I collect Olympic Games merch as well.
- I am also engaged in the political aspects of the games and always on the watch for which country/city gets the next games.
- My favorite Olympic Games memory is when Sweden got the gold in the Women's Cross-country skiing 4 × 5 kilometre relay. Charlotte Kalla had 3rd place and was a whole minute behind Krista Lähteenmäki in the final lap and yet she won in the end by 0.5 seconds and I have never screamed at my TV like that before.

What could I bring as a judge/contestant?

- I believe I have a developed idea of what is the spirit of the Olympic Games is all about, I'm also not too limited in my idea of what it can or should be.
- I've hosted design competitions before (non-sims related) and my judging style is that I judge a submission based on whether it fulfills it's full potential in relation to what the concept was. My judging still has and never will be ''ew, I wouldn't build or play with that lot''.
- I've studied the Olympic Games' history (perhaps because I am a history teacher).
- I have a wide knowledge of CC and the various building/decorating styles that are related to the game.

what does his name even mean?
Theorist
#13 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 9:05 AM
Ideas bombarded my brain since I've seen this. But I think none of my thoughts are really worthy. I see already this contest will have really good judges. I wish luck and free time to show your best to all participants. I will watch this Olympic games on my screen (as I always do with all Olympic games)

Also. Hi, Volvenom. Glad to see ya.
Have a nice time everyone!
Regards Vic

Here you can see more of my creations and conversions for sims 3. ;) I`ll glad to see your comments in.
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#14 Old 7th Dec 2021 at 6:46 PM
So if there is still a space for the judges, I am Available. And I play and have all the Sims game
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Dec 2021 at 12:42 AM
@Volvenom , the application round will be a bit longer than two weeks, that way future rounds will all end Sunday evenings so people will always have a weekend for any last-minute work on their submissions if they need it! This timer should give you the correct time remaining, let me know if it's not coming through properly! It runs through 11:59:59pm Mountain Standard Time (where I live) on December 19, after which any submissions will be considered late (though you still have up to a week to submit, you'll just take a 5-point penalty for each day late).

@justJones , poseboxes and similar would still be considered CC, since it'd still be giving an extra advantage to people who have downloaded CC over those who do not. You're certainly still free to use them if you want, you just won't qualify for the No-CC bonus for that round!

Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 8th Dec 2021 at 9:43 PM
Not that I would join anyway (because I don't like building) but I disagree with the fact that no cc gives 5 extra points Since lots with CC tend to be better.
Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, just something I found curious I will be tuning in though to see what everyone's making.

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#17 Old 8th Dec 2021 at 11:36 PM
Pictures: Other than the staged shot, what is required? The same that would be required for upload?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 1:31 AM
We have our judges! Thank you to @joandsarah77, @cutsocks, @AdonisPluto, and @CatherineTCJD for agreeing to help out, you've been "officially" listed now!

@justJones , the staged shot with Sims is the only one that's specifically required, the rest is just whatever you feel is necessary to best show off your creations for each round! Definitely don't shortchange yourself though, I think going by the upload guidance is probably the best approach to make sure you're giving a full overview of your build, both aesthetically and architecturally.

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#19 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 7:47 AM Last edited by justJones : 9th Dec 2021 at 8:27 PM.
Ok. I've poked and poked at it and I can't poke anymore. Well, I can, but I haven't liked any poking I've done in the last day or so, so I'm figuring it's done.

My application: The Apia Summer Olympics, hosted by Samoa. With the beach setting, the committee decided on a more traditional style for the cauldron/torch and stage for opening/closing ceremonies. Bellow we see a traditional dance performance during the opening ceremonies.

Sims 4: No CC

Screenshots
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 11:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Not that I would join anyway (because I don't like building) but I disagree with the fact that no cc gives 5 extra points Since lots with CC tend to be better.

But that's exactly why it's bonus points for no CC. Precisely because it IS (or at least can be) "easier" to build an impressive lot with CC. It's more difficult to build without, hence the bonus.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 2:11 PM
And we have our first submission! Hooray!!!

One thing for everyone though, please mention in your submission post what game you're competing with, and whether you used any CC and think you qualify for the bonus for that round. Thanks!

Mad Poster
#22 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 3:43 PM
Lovely entry, @JustJones
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 3:55 PM
Default Neo-Vatican Entry
At 20xx, the pope Bernard had a bad dream about the inminent destruction of the Vatican, uneasy, he told his dream but nobody believed him… The next pope Augustus IV also had the same nightmare, so deciding that was a revealed truth from Him, the proyect “Neo-Vatican” was born.
Built in a plateau ( now known as St-Mary) the new proyect was set on motion, the city itself replicates the famous neoclassic style and the arquitecture teachings of romans and greeks. Upper in the plateau it’s the government and the upper side, down the plateau, in the hollows are the slums and the houses of the original builders of the city.
Ruled by the Pope and a Ministery of 12 members elected by democracy ( known as the apostles ), the Neo-Vatican it’s a growing city that decide to host the Olympics to boost his personal image to the world, also it’s a good opportunity to show the teachings of Him and hope to have new believers.
Will be successful the plans of the Pope or all will be in vain?
Stay tuned at canal 3

I hope that you liked it , i was planning to do something grunge first but didnt work out at the end so i set to plan B, i hope that someone will do a grunge city.
Pd: Im using Ts3 and for these round i havent use any CC.
Screenshots
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#24 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 5:46 PM
We hopefully will all have great time with this contest. And the first two uploads are just breath taking. Keep them coming
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 9th Dec 2021 at 11:28 PM
Love seeing the applications, keep them coming. :D

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2