Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 6:36 AM
Creating Custom NPCs
I'm not sure whether this belongs here, or if there is already a thread for it.
BUT, I do want to know if there is a way to create custom NPCs/Townies in replacement of the regular ones?
(EX. NO Benjamin Long. NO Kendal (The Nanny))

Please, redirect me if this is in the wrong place.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 9:49 AM
Try looking here. It's a tutorial on how to create your own townies and not have the defaults show up.

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 10:20 AM
I would go there but...
My internet "protection" doesn't allow it because of this...

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 11:18 AM
Yes, it's relatively simple. You need the townie gun or Simlogical's transporter cat. Personally, I create my townie sims in CAS but you can also generate random ones with the gun. If you've not done it before, the cat is probably easier to use. Lemmee see.
http://drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Si...Teleporters.htm
What I do:
1. create a sim
2. put them on a lot with a placeholder sim I use for the purpose (in this case a Jack Thompson sim who I made into a zombie)
3. select your sim
4. click on the cat (buy it from the catalogue first) and choose "make me a ..." and choose whatever option you want (do any final modifications of the sim before you do this)
5. save (if you don't like what you've done or change your mind, don't save)
How's that? You can generate random sims (which is obviously a much quicker job because you let the game do it) but I'm not sure the cat does that (I've never tried and I can't remember). However, all that functionality of the cat, is just the townie gun code enabled on an object (just like the insiminator is just enabling Debug Mode). If you use Debug Mode, the townie gun is somewhere in the menu on the mailbox, I think. If you do generate a bunch of sims randomly, expect the game to hang for a while while it makes them (this is normal). Last thing to say, if you don't have the later EPs, the townie gun is not a gun but something else (can't remember what) but it's the same thing anyway only you can only generate the NPCs allowed by whatever combination of EPs you have.

You might want to change your firewall to enable MATY - it's not like the place is dangerous or anything.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Aug 2011 at 8:08 PM
Thank you, maxon.(:

Please, call me Nym.
LJ | Tumblr | DW
Forum Resident
#6 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 3:14 AM
I thought someone somwhere said that you can just deselect your sim and they will become a towmie? Is this true?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Octavia<3
I thought someone somwhere said that you can just deselect your sim and they will become a towmie? Is this true?

No, not true.

Incidentally, Nym, I discovered yesterday that SimBlender (from Simbology) also has the 'make me a townie' functions.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 2:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
Incidentally, Nym, I discovered yesterday that SimBlender (from Simbology) also has the 'make me a townie' functions.

Simblender is really helpful when wanting to assign a townie for a neighborhood, or moving someone into the family, now returning to the "make me a townie" option, is it safe?
Forum Resident
#9 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
No, not true.

okay thanks.
Wait. I think they explained it different. They said to make it unselectable and it will leave your lot
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Octavia<3
okay thanks.
Wait. I think they explained it different. They said to make it unselectable and it will leave your lot

Just making a Sim unselectable does not make them a townie. On the Simblender under the "family" tag there is an option to "make me a townie". Once you do that the Sim will automatically become unselectable. Exit and save your lot and the Sim will now be a part of your townie pool.

If you have nightlife installed you can also convert them to a "downtownie" using the NPC maker that you can spawn in game.

Just unselecting them won't do anything. I'm not sure if you Sim will end up in limbo or if they will simply be at the lot the next time you enter it. Seems like a good way to potentially bork your game though.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#11 Old 15th Aug 2011 at 4:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Clashfan
Just unselecting them won't do anything ... they will simply be at the lot the next time you enter it. Seems like a good way to potentially bork your game though.

This, though it doesn't do anything harmful. Just resets the sim.

I haven't used the Simblender for this but, if there is only the 'make me a townie' option*, then Inge's cat is more flexible. You can make all the types of townie with the cat including students, downtownies and 'native' BV people. I made myself a nice set of Japanese locals for my eastern holiday destination.

*I find it difficult to believe TJ left out the other options though.
Scholar
#12 Old 16th Aug 2011 at 1:03 AM
This, though it doesn't do anything harmful. Just resets the sim.

I haven't used the Simblender for this but, if there is only the 'make me a townie' option*, then Inge's cat is more flexible. You can make all the types of townie with the cat including students, downtownies and 'native' BV people. I made myself a nice set of Japanese locals for my eastern holiday destination.

*I find it difficult to believe TJ left out the other options though.

You know I haven't looked at it awhile since I haven't made any townies lately. I know it doesn't have the vacation locals as an option because I used the townie brick from MATY for the locals specifically.

Anyway the upshot is there are obviously lot's of good tools out there to use to make townies. Good to know it just resests the Sim though if you unselect them, I thought as much but was not sure.
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 6:24 PM
Yes, it's relatively simple. You need the townie gun or Simlogical's transporter cat. Personally, I create my townie sims in CAS but you can also generate random ones with the gun. If you've not done it before, the cat is probably easier to use. Lemmee see.
http://drealm.info/simlogical/sl/Si...Teleporters.htm
What I do:
1. create a sim
2. put them on a lot with a placeholder sim I use for the purpose (in this case a Jack Thompson sim who I made into a zombie)
3. select your sim
4. click on the cat (buy it from the catalogue first) and choose "make me a ..." and choose whatever option you want (do any final modifications of the sim before you do this)
5. save (if you don't like what you've done or change your mind, don't save)
How's that? You can generate random sims (which is obviously a much quicker job because you let the game do it) but I'm not sure the cat does that (I've never tried and I can't remember). However, all that functionality of the cat, is just the townie gun code enabled on an object (just like the insiminator is just enabling Debug Mode). If you use Debug Mode, the townie gun is somewhere in the menu on the mailbox, I think. If you do generate a bunch of sims randomly, expect the game to hang for a while while it makes them (this is normal). Last thing to say, if you don't have the later EPs, the townie gun is not a gun but something else (can't remember what) but it's the same thing anyway only you can only generate the NPCs allowed by whatever combination of EPs you have.

You might want to change your firewall to enable MATY - it's not like the place is dangerous or anything.

I'm sorry that I'm speaking in a 66 year old thread, but I need to tell you this, that link shows "page not found".

Yes, i'm still using Sims2. i'll keep it that way.

Alsolookatmychannelrealygoodchannelchannelisaboutanythingyoulikeidunnoimwasting2minutesoftypingthiswhatanawfullsignature...
Mad Poster
#14 Old 26th Feb 2017 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rickz13
I'm sorry that I'm speaking in a 66 year old thread, but I need to tell you this, that link shows "page not found".

Here, all better
http://www.simlogical.com/sl/Sims2P...Teleporters.htm

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)