Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:45 PM
Default Invisable Objects/Bad Tutorials
You all who make the programs that help the rest of us create are (first anf foremost) awsome. But it seems like your smartness is actually a disability to those of us who are brand new to this creating thing.

Your so darned smart you skip steps and miss things completely in your tutorials. It's like your explaining this stuff to us only as a refresher and we already know the basics of how to do all of it. But some of us, like me, are so knew we don't even get the basics.

On to my real problem, I've done the whole milk shape creating of a new object(followed all the tut's as best as possible considering the above statment) and all I end up with are invisable objects in the game.

They are useable to a point, but invisable, and flat.

Please help.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:49 PM
Do you know what attacking people for taking hours of their time to do the best they can to write tutorials gets you? Fewer tutorials.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:49 PM
No, I'm sorry I didn't mean for it to sound that way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:52 PM
Nevermind, I guess no matter what it's not going to sound right. Or read to you the same way it looks to me.
I'll try to find another way to get help.
Sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:52 PM
The problem is that there are a lot of people involved in the modding process; for instance, SimPE was updated to v.017c, while the mesh creating tutorial is still bound to be updated.
This means that if you follow that tutorial exactly, tho object will not work...
Try and repeat the mesh tutorial, but *never* use the "Assign hash" or the "Fix integrity" functions, even if it is asked by the tut.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:54 PM
Ok thank you, I didn't even realize that the updating of one program over another could make a diffrence.
Ice Princess
#7 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:55 PM
Yeah don't bite that hand that feeds you so to speak. They don't have to write these tuts for you now do they?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 6:56 PM
Ok drop it already I said I was sorry for the way that came out.
It wasn't intended as an attack, but if you keep attacking me I might change my attitude.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 7:02 PM
It's not your fault, S2CCaitlyn; there have just been several threads posted today that say something to the effect of "you suck, now help me". Makes us all snippy. I know you didn't mean to be hurtful.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 7:04 PM
Thanks BriAnna, gld I didn't start world war 3 on my first day here, just not good at explaining myself is all.
Test Subject
#11 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:15 PM
Think so too, I read your post not like an insult but like a loud cry for help and a little suggestion.

Ok going down to the basics in every tutorial is quite difficult, so everyone could link to the needed Basic-Tutorials when scipping certain steps. I guess that was the idea, was it?

Hope u doesnt feel accused, because everyone here does a LOT LOT of work they can be proud of.
Test Subject
#12 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:21 PM
Yeah.. I see quite a few threads asking for help and I haven't seen much help being given. I know this place is busy, so don't take my comment as a flame or anything. If only we had a lot more smart people! :P
Field Researcher
#13 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM
This is exactly the problem im having.

I cannot figure out how to get my objects to be a seperate object, let alone visible. when I ask for help, I get a link to some other topic, such as a tutorial that stops at exporting. WHICH file do i open in milkshape? WHAT can I do to it? WHAT do I do when im done? Things like that, totally skipped over.

They either need to update the tutorials or not bother to make them.
#14 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 2:41 PM
Default Same problem
Did you ever get an answer to your flat/invisible object problem? I am having the same trouble. I go through the tutorial and I get nothing.

Care to enlighten me?
Nearly alive
#15 Old 14th Mar 2005 at 8:36 PM Last edited by Miche : 14th Mar 2005 at 10:22 PM.
When I first saw the title of this thread, I took it as a attack on the people writing the tutorials, having read it, it doesn`t seem so bad, but could of been worded better, and had a better tittle.

Having said that,
People should be gratefull to the people who have spent their time writing the tutorials. Please note that most of the tutorials have been wrote by people who are not involved in making the programs and have just decided to share their knowledge with everybody, like Simsuncensored wrote (most of) the mesh tool tutorial and WDS BriAnna wrote the tutorial on body and hair mesh editing, they didn`t have to do this, but did it to try to help people. So if maybe people thanked them instead of complaining that the tutorials are bad, then they would feel like doing more in the future, and also the number of times I have read someone complaining about not being able to get something to work and saying how angry they were getting and making out that is was everyone else`s fault. I`ve been very busy lately and spend most of my free time trying to help people on here, I`d much rather be spending it doing something else or just relaxing after a hard day at work, but I want to try to help, but all the complaining there has been makes me wonder why I bother sometimes, and why I bother at all with the mesh tool.

The problem with the tutorials is that SimPE changes so fast that the tutorials just can`t keep up, and also there have been problems with getting objects to work in some versions of simpe.

As to the person who said no one answers anyone when they ask for help, well I don`t think that`s true, there are lots of people on here who try to help people as much as they can, we can`t spend every moment of our lives answering peoples questions, and most of the questions which don`t get answered are ones which have been answered before, and the person asking just hasn`t bothered to look.

Mr. Biggles,

I don`t know exactly what you mean about a sperate object. But what files to open in a 3d program( the obj or smd file) and what you do once you have made changes to the objects are covered in the Mesh tool tutorial, the tutorials don`t cover how to make changes to object in the various 3d programs, but it is never going to cover such details , there are some tutorials on using milkshape and other 3d programs on in this forum though, and for more tutorials on such subjects you just need to use google.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 15th Mar 2005 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by S2CCaitlyn
You all who make the programs that help the rest of us create are (first anf foremost) awsome. But it seems like your smartness is actually a disability to those of us who are brand new to this creating thing.

Your so darned smart you skip steps and miss things completely in your tutorials. It's like your explaining this stuff to us only as a refresher and we already know the basics of how to do all of it. But some of us, like me, are so knew we don't even get the basics.

On to my real problem, I've done the whole milk shape creating of a new object(followed all the tut's as best as possible considering the above statment) and all I end up with are invisable objects in the game.

They are useable to a point, but invisable, and flat.

Please help.

The reason you end up with invisable items (that i know of) when you make your mesh. If you keep the original names the textures will go to the object but if you have new group names in your mesh SimPE doesnt know where to put the textures thus making your item invisible! I know this from experience so try to keep the original names!!!