Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 5:17 AM Last edited by ah_clem : 3rd Jan 2009 at 6:22 PM.
Default Removing Interior Roofs- One Solution
My current project has a roofed porch beneath an octagon tower. As you can see all roofing is in place. The problem is a bit of roofing that projects into the tower interior. I installed the porch roof twice, using half and full hip tools, then added the 2nd floor roofs expecting the interior bits to vanish: no such luck. Anyone know of a solution?

Humble thanks in advance!

PS- Game Info:

EPs: Original, Nightlife, Open for Business, Free Time
SPs: Celebration, Mansion and Garden
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 6:30 AM Last edited by ejnarts1 : 3rd Jan 2009 at 6:36 AM.
Aren't Maxis just full of geniuses? Some of the roofs don't allow the roofs under them to vanish. The roofs that came w/ OFB certainly don't.
I'm thinking your only solutions; there's a hard and an easy way.
Easy: delete the porch roof and find a floor tile that resembles the roof color/texture you're using and just create a flat porch roof with the floor tiles.

Hard: Create a 6 click dummy level in between the 1st and 2nd floors. Create the flat porch roof as above. Now use the constrainfloorelevation cheat to raise the inner edges of the roof so you create a slope.

You'll only be able to create a 2 click slope though. You'll need to make the dummy level higher in order to have a steeper slope as the default for any wall is only 4 clicks.

That's all I've got. You can try using a roof section that actually allows roofs under it to vanish, but the problem is most of those roofs are square or rectangular in nature and would cause gaps to appear in the porch roof under the edges of the top roof.

You can try using a combination of squared and diagonal roofs to shape the porch roof around the tower, but that usually doesn't give a very nice aesthetic.

You can try using bluetexasbonnie's roof "pieces" for the porch roof, but I don't know if her colors match the Maxis roof's:
http://thesorceressandcompany.com/F...php?topic=177.0
Scholar
#3 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 9:10 AM
This is one of the reason I usually only use floor tiles not rooves for porches. I do hope Maxis does a better job with the sims 3.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 6:10 PM
Default Eureka! (sorta...)
Thank you ejnarts1, your ideas lead to a workable solution, after a detour into absurdity and angst. Standard roof types make interior roofs vanish, but the OFB roofs- cone, octagon, et al- don't work this way as you said. So I wondered what would happen if I put a standard roof on to remove the interior roof and then covered the whole thing up with the OFB roof I want. This worked!- but then disaster. While trying to get a screen cap the second time I hit the F10 key instead of F11- whoops. After getting the pic and returning to the game I noticed the roof looked too small, so I tried to delete it but it wouldn't go away not matter what! After fussing for a while I finally decided that my lot was corrupted and I'd just have to face the music and delete it, and so I did so after committing the design to memory. Then, when I put in a new lot to start work again the roof was back, floating in space above my brand new lot! And not only was it there, it was in every lot in the neighborhood in every neighborhood in the game! Well, as it turned out the roof only existed in memory and when the game was shut down and restarted it disappeared forever! The images tell the story, particularly the animated sequence. As you'll see there are compromises that must be made to achieve workable results.

So what has been learned:
  • Standard roof sections can be strategically placed to remove unwanted interior roofs.
  • Decorative OFB roofs may now be placed over these sections to create the look you desire.
  • Should you end up with an undeletable roof that appears in all your lots do not despair.
    Try restarting your game to see if it goes away.

Thanks for your help!
Screenshots
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Jan 2009 at 6:59 PM
I love the GAAAH , and the tips will be handy too! Thanks for this!

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies