Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 5:22 AM
Default A glow effect using Full-face makeup?
LONG STORY:

I just got back to playing TS2 again, after I got bored of it for a while (got more interested in RuneScape and then, later, WoW.)

When I opened my game, the fantasy-themed stuff I had in there got me thinking that it would be kinda fun trying to build Night Elves..it wasn't hard to find a good skin, and the eyes took me just a few minutes to make (White and cloudy. Simple!)

However...the way eyes work for the sims is they are REALLY cut off. Rigid lines outline the eyes...and definitely dampens the night elf look. I remembered that there are Sims contact lenses and wondered if there is a way to make stuff not directly ON the face, but very close, like, hovering?

Tl;DR VERSION: Can I make a glow effect using makeup? And if so, can you tell me how to edit the distance from the face or whatever? xD

Much appreciated!
Screenshots

Oooh, what's that? *click*
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 10:40 AM
Not doable using full-face makeup. You could make a mesh (3d model) that hovers in front of the face. It mostly looks like the eyes radiate light, so you could do something that looks a bit like two funnels inside each other to accomplish that, texturing it with a semi-transparent gradient so that it fades out as it gets further from the eyes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 11:04 AM
Default Oh noes..
Me and meshes just don't mesh, but thanks for explaining! I'll have to try that, as soon as I go buy enough aspirin for another round with...Blender. *shudder*

Oooh, what's that? *click*
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 11:11 AM
Heh, well, I don't know if you'll be able to accomplish this with Blender. It's a sim thing, so you need to be able to assign it to the head bone to make it work. I know there were some scripts for exporting/importing GMDCs with Blender with bone assignments intact, but I don't have any idea how to use them and, well, gosh you're using Blender - no wonder your head hurts! Save the money for aspirin and get a license for Milkshape. It'll make your head hurt less and if you get stuck, a lot more folks can help you.

(BTW - easiest way to make something like this would be to use a cylinder with about three stacks. Cut off the top and bottom so it's just a hollow tube, and then flare out one end. If you do it in Milkshape it'll already be mapped good enough for what you want so you don't have to worry about that. You can duplicate it and make a slightly smaller one nesting inside the bigger one and then just worry about material definitions and textures. )

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Sep 2010 at 2:09 PM
hah! i was thinking about making draenei with glow-in-the-dark eyes with this method. If i get my sims2 mojo back, i'll update you.

Simmed out and lazy,

Sorry
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#6 Old 6th Oct 2010 at 6:08 PM
It might also be possible to find an existing game effect and assign that effect to a pair of contacts, lots of coding to go down that path, but it might work.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Oct 2010 at 8:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
It might also be possible to find an existing game effect and assign that effect to a pair of contacts, lots of coding to go down that path, but it might work.

Don't the alpha wolf's eyes in the Pets EP glow in the dark? Perhaps that effect could be tweaked to work on human Sims...