Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#101 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 2:10 PM
Z0MBELECTRIQUE: Click on Download on the menu at the top of the page, scroll down and click on Sims

Advertisement
Field Researcher
#102 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 2:37 PM
Well said Delphy.

Hate the player...not the game. :)
Test Subject
#103 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 7:07 AM
I believe this is somewhat off-topic but several posts have been made here on this subject and I have been wanting to comment on this for quite some time. First I want to personally thank the hosts of MTS2 for providing a peerless site for free exchange of S2 content and also well-deserved appreciation goes to the creators who provide the content we all crave and love. Sometimes, however, I think many of us spend too much time in magical fantasy land and not enough time focusing upon reality.
First thing to do is take several deep breaths and try to level your senses and your sensibilities. I know this is long-winded but I am not a 'poster' by nature and a don't feel like commenting on much mostly because it never seems productive or useful in any way, much as this may be.
Maxis and EA games have every right to do as they please with their software and we all need to just try to be thankful that they have created such a medium that allows us to incorporate so much user content in the game. The level of customization allowed by the Sims2 is certainly unprecedented in all of gaming history. Surely some games that came before allowed users to customize or modify to a degree but nothing compared to what we have been provided with here. Once again here EA has allowed this and built this into their product, they did not have to, and we should be thankful.
Next, users who create custom content need to try to accept the fact that they really don't own any kind of copyright on anything they upload to a site for free download. If they did, then there would be some legal recourse for them to receive compensation from those who violate the copyright. Have no illusions about this and try to accept this fact because no quantity of stated terms of use or rules or anything else added to a post can change this. While personally I find it offensive and certainly pitiful and sad that someone might download something and then upload it again here or elsewhere and claim it as their own, nothing can be done about it. Nothing save not uploading it in the first place. Anything put in a Maxis package file, even original artwork, falls into the public domain so long as Maxis says it is so. Regardless of how you feel about this, it does not change anything. Try to become reconciled to this fact to save yourself unnecessary stress and agony. If you don't think this is true just try testing this in our courts of law, but for everyone's benefit I recommend against it.
That said I must implore to all creators out there not to stop creating because of this. If you are sitting at your computer, or at work, or in the shower wringing your hands and engraving frown-lines across your brow over the possibility of someone recoloring your sexy party dress or altering the hemline of your adorable teddy, then you are missing the point and for your own sake please just don't upload it. Try instead to take what satisfaction you can from creating something that might be neat and that others might enjoy too. No matter how much effort you put in to it that is all that it will ever be. Try to have fun and be creative and let others do the same and let us all just try to get along.
I realize some of you won't agree with this but I really am not in this to debate the issue. Just try to think about this and keep an open mind. The whole of human civilization was built upon the blood, sweat, and tears of those who came before who may or may not be with us anymore. The computers you use, the cars you drive, the TVs you watch, the list goes on to infinity, just like this post, and none of it did any of you create from scratch. If someone can add a few things to your fine creation and make it a great one, then let them, and let us all benefit. People have been doing it since there has been people, and it is how we all got to where we are today.
Thanks again to the MTS2 staff for providing us this outstanding website. I am a naughty user and your long-overdue and well-deserved donation is coming soon.
Scholar
#104 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 8:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Moon Jaguar
Insimenator has uploading guidelines.
I've never seen a guidelines post even when I looked for it before posting...
Test Subject
#105 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 9:50 PM
I would like to thank Delphy for setting the standards about Pets (and every other file available here) so that there can be no confusion. I think that the high standards and quality control imposed/expected on MTS2 have made it the premier Sims 2 content site on the Web. Unlike some other sites, you can be fairly sure that MTS2 content, from all your talented creators, is pretty much safe as houses to install. Good on you MTS2!
Test Subject
#106 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 4:27 AM
I do hope this doesn't affect pets that were made with basic sims fur patterns. D:

Why act your age when you can act your shoe size?
Test Subject
#107 Old 28th Nov 2006 at 6:45 PM
If I could make custom stuff myself, I'd want to make & upload my own cats, because my cats are exceptionally cute & beautiful. :p
Lab Assistant
#108 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 2:18 PM
Priorities, priorities, they make the world go round (together with chocolate and money)

http://www.freewebs.com/barneythegoldfish My monthly webcomic about a Goldfish and his adventures in a fishbowl..
http://www.freewebs.com/raikasims2/ my own SIMS 2 site, where some stuff is already up, but cooler stuff will be available soon ..Mesher(s) wanted, but not needed..
Test Subject
#109 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 10:47 PM
Cool, thanks everyone, can't wait to see the new stuff. Also can't wait to ask requests for mods in Pets.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 30th Nov 2006 at 5:00 PM
The Sims EULA states all custom content made for The Sims 2 is the property and copywrite of EA, not anyone who makes the content. This has been in the Sims 2 since the beginning, and had creators read the EULA through, they would have seen it. This isn't anything NEW, it's EA actually taking steps to show they own the content I suppose.
Whether I agree or not, fact of the matter is, by playing the game and making content, either way, you AGREED to the EULA and agreement contained, and if you didn't read it through it's not EA's fault.
Forum Resident
#111 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 5:25 AM
I got a question. I was thinking of maybe uploading a pet breed up that comes from a line of different dogs (Once I find out how to upload it), I was wondering, would that be okay? Because I like how these dogs have turned out, (I believe that started with the dog named Maxx, one of the Maxis dogs you can adopt via adoption service, and another dog) and the ancestors are quite a few dogs and the latest one (Before I breeded it with a smaller dog..) looks interesting..So would I able to upload it?
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#112 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 7:33 AM
Chao, actually no that's not what it says and if you'd read the EULA you'd know that What it says is that anything done with the tools and resources is EAs, but it's a blanket spitulation covering basically reverse engineering and the like. The EULA does not mean that EA automatically owns copyright just becuase something is within the package format, and I daresay they'd have a hard time upholding it in court.

In point of fact, by the way, basically every single Sims 2 tool that has been released with the exception of pure Maxis ones is breaking the EULA. SimPE, the MeshTool, S2PCI, Q-Xpress - all of them. In fact, this entire website and much of the Sims 2 community as a whole are based on the fact that we did not comply with the EULA. Maxis and EA allow this, as they allow modding and generation of 3rd party content, so this in itself sets a precedent of what is and isn't allowed regardless of what is written in the EULA itself (which, as I said, is purely to cover thier own backs).

So yeah, saying this whole "EULA says they own everything" is really stupid and frankly I'm getting tired of the whole thing.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Scholar
#113 Old 1st Dec 2006 at 9:30 AM
Khan of Wyrms, I'm with you on the whole "don't worry yourself to death" part. It's just me personally...I just like making the game nicer to look at. If someone wants to take my work and improve on it, so much the better. I don't care who gets the credit so long as at the end of it all, my characters and buildings look more awesome every month thanks to so many grubby little paws contributing to our wondrous horde of custom content.

My mom is sick, genocide is happening in various parts of the world. That's what gives me my gray hairs. If EA decides it owns my skins because I used BodyShop to make my stuff...WHAT-evah! As for other people "stealing" my work, well when I post my stuff and it gets the thanks and recognition under the topic where I posted it, that's what I look for. I don't scour the net to see if my stuff is showing up elsewhere under somebody else's name. The people whose opinions matter to me are all right here. THIS is where I come for my feedback, and that's about all I have time for...barely. Having said all that...

I've read other artists' comments where they feel the exact opposite and really feel very cheated and disrespected and robbed if their work and gets stolen or taken out of their control. And you know what...I totally feel for them and totally respect their position. I understand we're all in custom content creation for different reasons. I just hope we don't lose any more custom content creators over tussles over who owns and controls what. It's already bad enough when illness, death in the family, lack of funds, or time takes an artist out of circulation.

Oh well, thanks to all, past and present and future contributors, hosts and patrons of the arts, who help make Sims2 so much more fun to play.

What if one little pop could open a world of wonder
So sensory, so satisfying. It's the magic Friskies makes happen every day in so many ways
Friskies, feed the senses. Cat sez eff that, gimme cheezburgers.
Lab Assistant
#114 Old 4th Dec 2006 at 10:36 PM
wow! i must admit this is so popular... this is kool!
Test Subject
#115 Old 20th Dec 2006 at 2:17 PM
VERY Cool
Test Subject
#116 Old 27th Dec 2006 at 4:31 PM
can someone tell me how to uplode here or sims 2.com

i luv God, §ims 2 and family. P.S. I LOVE LIFE.
Lab Assistant
#117 Old 8th Feb 2007 at 5:59 AM Last edited by bibicat : 8th Feb 2007 at 6:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Khan of Wyrms
I believe this is somewhat off-topic but several posts have been made here on this subject and I have been wanting to comment on this for quite some time. First I want to personally thank the hosts of MTS2 for providing a peerless site for free exchange of S2 content and also well-deserved appreciation goes to the creators who provide the content we all crave and love. Sometimes, however, I think many of us spend too much time in magical fantasy land and not enough time focusing upon reality.
First thing to do is take several deep breaths and try to level your senses and your sensibilities. I know this is long-winded but I am not a 'poster' by nature and a don't feel like commenting on much mostly because it never seems productive or useful in any way, much as this may be.
Maxis and EA games have every right to do as they please with their software and we all need to just try to be thankful that they have created such a medium that allows us to incorporate so much user content in the game. The level of customization allowed by the Sims2 is certainly unprecedented in all of gaming history. Surely some games that came before allowed users to customize or modify to a degree but nothing compared to what we have been provided with here. Once again here EA has allowed this and built this into their product, they did not have to, and we should be thankful.
Next, users who create custom content need to try to accept the fact that they really don't own any kind of copyright on anything they upload to a site for free download. If they did, then there would be some legal recourse for them to receive compensation from those who violate the copyright. Have no illusions about this and try to accept this fact because no quantity of stated terms of use or rules or anything else added to a post can change this. While personally I find it offensive and certainly pitiful and sad that someone might download something and then upload it again here or elsewhere and claim it as their own, nothing can be done about it. Nothing save not uploading it in the first place. Anything put in a Maxis package file, even original artwork, falls into the public domain so long as Maxis says it is so. Regardless of how you feel about this, it does not change anything. Try to become reconciled to this fact to save yourself unnecessary stress and agony. If you don't think this is true just try testing this in our courts of law, but for everyone's benefit I recommend against it.
That said I must implore to all creators out there not to stop creating because of this. If you are sitting at your computer, or at work, or in the shower wringing your hands and engraving frown-lines across your brow over the possibility of someone recoloring your sexy party dress or altering the hemline of your adorable teddy, then you are missing the point and for your own sake please just don't upload it. Try instead to take what satisfaction you can from creating something that might be neat and that others might enjoy too. No matter how much effort you put in to it that is all that it will ever be. Try to have fun and be creative and let others do the same and let us all just try to get along.
I realize some of you won't agree with this but I really am not in this to debate the issue. Just try to think about this and keep an open mind. The whole of human civilization was built upon the blood, sweat, and tears of those who came before who may or may not be with us anymore. The computers you use, the cars you drive, the TVs you watch, the list goes on to infinity, just like this post, and none of it did any of you create from scratch. If someone can add a few things to your fine creation and make it a great one, then let them, and let us all benefit. People have been doing it since there has been people, and it is how we all got to where we are today.
Thanks again to the MTS2 staff for providing us this outstanding website. I am a naughty user and your long-overdue and well-deserved donation is coming soon.

my thoughts exactly... I couldn't have said or expressed that any better. I know it's not easy for everyone to get along, just because it is in our nature to have different opinions/point of views about whatever matter it may be... there will always be agreeing or to disagree. Although it would be nice if all would just get along and be on our merry way and play the game we all love (I'm taking a shot here where I positively think we all have in common. We all like the sims, that is why we are here. Whether in creating custom contents, download CCs, build houses, create sims, create movies or do story telling etc.)

edit:
I also like the new rules.. . I really have no complaints.. the fact that I really like everyones effort in helping us with whatever we need help with and the generosity in sharing their great and awesome work with the community.
You guys are just great... and please keep doing what you have been doing.

That is all ';x

(O_o)/") hi!
Lab Assistant
#118 Old 12th Feb 2007 at 3:25 PM
Thank you Delphy! These rules are strict but they are a challenge to make better sims!

"Cute and cuddly!"

My own page on MTS2
Page 5 of 5