Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Feb 2011 at 10:38 PM
Default TSR -> Maya ->MilkShape
Hi,

I looked for a answer to my problem in the others Maya-MilkShape post but it seems like it's always at the point where the person already know how to do what i'm trying to do.

Here's my problem, i want to edit mesh in maya but 2010 (so i can't use the GEOM plugin) and i would like to make them for clothes but when I extract from TSR in .obj format and import it in maya it's seems like something is lost because if change the mesh and export it (still in .obj) to milkshape none of my changes appear and if i bring it straight back to TSR it wiil not import.

What can I do to edit my mesh in maya properly please
Thx
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 3:50 AM
Hi!

So i'm the person who had the exact problem you had, where it kept giving you an error when using the .obj file format? yeah. WesHowe unfortunately only made the plugin for 2009, and he said he wouldn't be updating it very soon, so i'm afraid that the only solution I could find was to find someone with Maya 2009 and mooch off them.
Honestly, the only thing I haven't tried with this before giving up was to find a milkshape to maya plugin, so see if you can find one of those. I am putting up a tutorial on how to do this in about a month with 2009, if you can by any chance get a downgrade to that.

The way you phrased this is so much better than the way I said it, but we have the same question.
Basically, if you can get 2009 I would go CTU to maya to milkshape to tsr. That worked the best for me. I'd love to know if you can find another way.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 4:57 PM
Thank you for your answer clakell, yes I think what's left to do it's to look for a 2009 owner in my contacts untill we can find a better solution, but i don't quite understand how the lost of data is done as it's the same .obj format, i figure the softs don't get it the same way.Anyway, I have so much ideas and it's seems so far until i'll be able to actually put them to life.
Firt thing I want to do is a king of semi-transparent lingery and i need o do alpha mesh for that for it to be kind of overlay, a real clothe effect but with milkshape i feel stuck.
I'll post it here if I can find something better
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2011 at 5:07 PM
I Just saw advice :

Export the milkshape file as a .3ds file.
Import it into Maya.

.3ds is a good file type to export and import things with, the vast majority of modelling programs let you do it.

the 3DS plugin for Maya will be needed, i'll tried and post back
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by clakell
Basically, if you can get 2009 I would go CTU to maya to milkshape to tsr. That worked the best for me. I'd love to know if you can find another way.

TSRW uses a diffrent joint order as the meshes exported from CTU , doesn't give this problems?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2011 at 4:01 PM
I didn't tried clakell solution yet, so I don't know but I think it's what he uses so it must be working
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Feb 2011 at 2:01 AM
@BloomsBase so far no issues yet, but I didn't know that. O.o

I probably should check. But i've made 5+ meshes with no joint issues. I would go from tsr, but I can't freaking stand the body morphs. For what i'm doing, i just need medium.

It does work, but you will have to downgrade to 2009.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Feb 2011 at 6:58 PM
OK here's where I am now, i did find a friend to downgrade to 2009, now i am all set with maya, milkshape, the plugins and TSRW but i still can do anything properly.
I exported a mesh from TSRW (.wso)
Bring it into milkshape (still .wso)
exported it in .simgeom (i took only the base one, could figure out if you have to change every group
imported it into maya (still simgeom)
Modified the mesh
Exported it in simgeom
bring it back to milkshape (so far, looking good)
exported it in TSRW format .wso)
and imported it into TSR and there everything went wrong, my short is on the knees , the shirt on the feet , :s what i'm I missing ?

I don't know if it help but everytime i import the simgeom file (maya or milkshape) i have a pop up saying no bones file where found
Test Subject
#9 Old 28th Feb 2011 at 1:35 AM
The texture? Oh yeah. i forgot to mention that. In maya, you will have to flip the UVs.

The bones file thing is normal. Just ignore that.

Flipping the UVs is relatively simple, and allows the textures to work properly. In maya, you right click the mesh and go to UVs, highlight the whole mesh with the select tool and open the UV editor window. Then in that window you go to file, something snapshot, and export it. Then you open it in an image program and flip it vertically. Then in maya you apply that file as a texture to the mesh. THen you select the UVs again and go into the UV editor. You should see the file in the background. Press the flip UVs vertical tool then press w and align the UVs to the image. Now, you can save and re-export the mesh and the textures should work perfectly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 2:12 AM Last edited by swaina : 3rd Mar 2011 at 1:35 PM.
Ok, i did, but still have the same problem

UPDATE : you said that i have to press the filp UV vertical tool.But I can't fidn anything like it, there is only the flip menu but you said in this post : http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=425227 that UV have to be flip manually for it to work.Can you be more specific about how you did that because just flipping it with Polygon>Flip don't work
Screenshots
Alchemist
#11 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by swaina
OK here's where I am now, i did find a friend to downgrade to 2009, now i am all set with maya, milkshape, the plugins and TSRW but i still can do anything properly.

I don't know if it help but everytime i import the simgeom file (maya or milkshape) i have a pop up saying no bones file where found

It is very likely that if you have a license to Maya 2010 installed on your machine that you could download the Maya 2009 Service Pack 1 release (the latest version of Maya 2009) directly from the AutoDesk website and it will recognize the 2010 license.

Somewhere I have documented how to find and extract the correct BONE file for a GEOM. You should put that in the same directory with the GEOM file and the import plug-in will find it.

As a practical matter, for adult Sims this will not matter, because the default values I have encoded in the plug-in will work. But for child meshes it will matter very much, because the bones and the mesh will not match; you will have an adult sized skeleton with a mesh that comes up to about the waist.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.