Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Sep 2023 at 4:16 PM
Default Recoloring The Umbrella
I need some Example here help recoloring the umbrella. I got the basics down but there is a shine on the umbrella that I’d like to not be there. I followed the remove shine tutorial but that did not help. I’ve asked over on S4S twice in the last two years and have not received any help. I’ve also asked over on Reddit as well and someone mentioned it’s possible the specular which I’m not familiar with as I’m very new to recoloring objects. I’m hoping someone here might be able to assist. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 17th Sep 2023 at 2:54 AM
Usually when you view an object in the Studio tab, there will be a texture called Specular or identifiable as being one from being mostly black except where grey-white represents shininess. From a quick look at an umbrella in S4S, I can see that it actually doesn't have one of those! Which is why there may have been some confusion.

What this may mean is that this effect is caused by a shader/material instead, which is attached to the mesh resource itself. I'm unfortunately not all that familiar with TS4 shaders, but that may at least be a lead for you to look into. It may be a little complicated if this is one of your first recolour projects, just a bit of bad luck with this specific object as most others can be modified with textures alone. I could take some screenshots of some of the related options if you want to take a look yourself.
Good luck
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Sep 2023 at 6:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
Usually when you view an object in the Studio tab, there will be a texture called Specular or identifiable as being one from being mostly black except where grey-white represents shininess. From a quick look at an umbrella in S4S, I can see that it actually doesn't have one of those! Which is why there may have been some confusion.

What this may mean is that this effect is caused by a shader/material instead, which is attached to the mesh resource itself. I'm unfortunately not all that familiar with TS4 shaders, but that may at least be a lead for you to look into. It may be a little complicated if this is one of your first recolour projects, just a bit of bad luck with this specific object as most others can be modified with textures alone. I could take some screenshots of some of the related options if you want to take a look yourself.
Good luck

Thank you. That might be helpful and hopefully I can figure this out. I’ve seen recolors of the umbrella but mostly patterns. I also downloaded one done in noodles color palette that j May end up using if I’m not able to figure this out.
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Sep 2023 at 4:32 AM Last edited by CardinalSims : 18th Sep 2023 at 4:35 AM. Reason: Addition.
I was able to find material properties buried through several options, which is why I thought it would be easier to understand with some images rather than writing out every button to press.
Once you get to the material 'Items', the properties that stand out to me are Shininess, Specular- which are rather self-explanatory- and the cube map. Cube maps are used as fake reflections on shiny objects, so you may get some value out of removing this as well.
Each of the 'variants' in the list relates to each swatch, and each 'Phong' mesh appears to be the different states the mesh can be in (open, closed, etc), so you may to need to repeat changes across a few of these to find what one has the desired effect.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Sep 2023 at 4:54 AM
I was able to find material properties buried through several options, which is why I thought it would be easier to understand with some images rather than writing out every button to press.
Once you get to the material 'Items', the properties that stand out to me are Shininess, Specular- which are rather self-explanatory- and the cube map. Cube maps are used as fake reflections on shiny objects, so you may get some value out of removing this as well.
Each of the 'variants' in the list relates to each swatch, and each 'Phong' mesh appears to be the different states the mesh can be in (open, closed, etc), so you may to need to repeat changes across a few of these to find what one has the desired effect.

Wow! Thank you!! I will be trying this to see if this works!!

Will this still be available if the only object to recolor is the debug item? For the umbrella you can only recolor the debug item which only comes in two swatches, both of the translucent umbrellas.
Instructor
#6 Old 18th Sep 2023 at 5:18 AM
I just had a look at that one and it looks about the same, except the relevant meshes are probably the ones with 'PhongAlpha' in the name as alpha implies these are the parts with transparency.
Experiment and see how it goes
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 19th Sep 2023 at 4:03 AM
I just had a look at that one and it looks about the same, except the relevant meshes are probably the ones with 'PhongAlpha' in the name as alpha implies these are the parts with transparency.
Experiment and see how it goes

Thank you!