Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 3:06 AM
Default Made a tattoo but this black icon shows up for it even though the tattoo works fine?
Hi, I'm working on a set of tattoos and the tattoo shows up great, looks perfect but the Icon itself is like black with a darker bit for the tattoo design and I don't know how to fix it... Any help would be great, thanks!!
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 3:39 AM
This usually happens to me when I leave the alpha visible before exporting my dds image. Try saving your dds with RGB mode in view.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 5:06 AM Last edited by SenPain : 15th Apr 2012 at 7:39 AM.
It looks like you make accessory tattoos, but I do the Amb ones, does that make a difference, do you know?

eta, for some reason it just didn't click with what you were saying and I got confused when looking for examples of your tattoos [I forget that they are listed under makeup]. =/ I've also tried what you said it it didn't work for me but I'm just going to start over with a new .dds and try and see what I'm doing wrong. Thanks for your help
sorry that I'm freaking dumb ._.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 12:31 PM
Did you have a first version of the tattoo that was all black? Once the thumb is generated it's not updated unless you delete the CAS thumbnails package in the thumbnails folder in your Documents EA folder.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2012 at 10:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Did you have a first version of the tattoo that was all black? Once the thumb is generated it's not updated unless you delete the CAS thumbnails package in the thumbnails folder in your Documents EA folder.

All the other thumbnails will regenerate, though right? It's just like a chache?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 16th Apr 2012 at 12:51 PM
Yes, it's a cache and all the thumbnails will regenerate.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 29th Apr 2012 at 11:42 PM
Thank you both, I finally got it to work!!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 30th May 2012 at 11:55 PM
I thought this issue was resolved, but on a new set tattoos the same thing is happening, and not only that, but even after I get rid of the CAS Thumbnails, it's still happening, tattoo shows up on the body fine though...=/ Any advice?
Mother Function
retired moderator
#9 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:10 AM
I stand by original suggestion. When you save your dds in Photoshop/Gimp/etc, do you have the alpha visible? I had this problem all the time when I first started making tattoos. I finally figured out it only happened when I saved my dds when the alpha channel visible in my photo editor, because that usually was the last thing I'd edit before exporting my image. But, if I saved my dds when the normal RGB mode is visible, then I had the proper thumbnail.

See if that makes a difference?

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:42 AM
The Alpha Channel or the Alpha Layer?
I'm a little confused. =/
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st May 2012 at 10:51 AM
The alpha channel - there is no alpha layer (or at least if there is, it's for your benefit, the game doesn't use it).

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st May 2012 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
The alpha channel - there is no alpha layer (or at least if there is, it's for your benefit, the game doesn't use it).

huuuuh.... So don't have the alpha channel visible? Won't that make the entire tattoo invisible?
(I've read tons of tutorials, but somehow I'm still a little fuzzy on channels.)
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 31st May 2012 at 8:58 PM
Think i posted this ages ago but tattoo's use a diffrent texture format as all other stuff.
Im not going to look it up as i totally got neglected at the time.
export a original tattoo texture and open it with a tool that can read the correct format(it is how i did it)
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#14 Old 31st May 2012 at 9:06 PM
Whether or not the channel is visible in your graphics editor doesn't affect whether or not it's there. The game will use it, either way.

Bear in mind that's invisible as in clicking the little eye icon next to the channel - not as in erasing the whole alpha channel!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 31st May 2012 at 9:39 PM Last edited by SenPain : 9th Feb 2013 at 1:36 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Whether or not the channel is visible in your graphics editor doesn't affect whether or not it's there. The game will use it, either way.

Bear in mind that's invisible as in clicking the little eye icon next to the channel - not as in erasing the whole alpha channel!

huh, I always thought if the alpha was invisible the game wouldn't see it and thus I would have no tattoo. =|

Starting to realize that it's probably a miracle that I got my tattoos to work before, lol, thank you~

ETA: For some reason a few things said here didn't quite click for me till now. Now I feel dumb and slow, but very, very glad I asked! I learned a lot, thank you all so much!