Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 8:42 PM
Default Backing up files from an overheated laptop
So my laptop recently overheated and died. I'm currently looking into how I can get this fixed without paying too much.

Since it died unexpectantly, I did not have a chance to back up anything. I know that my hard drive is still good, so could I take the hard drive out, put it in another laptop, and and back-up my stuff in an external hard drive that way?

Thanks.

Scholars then unearthed clay tablets which provided incontrovertible proof that Jesus and his disciples played Halo 3 during the last supper.
--Christ? Judas is team killing again.
--Judas, don't be a dick.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 8:43 PM
You can't just stick it in another laptop, unless that laptop happens to have slots for more than one hdd and that is extremely rare. You can buy an external enclosure and copy files from it to the other computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 9:04 PM
damn, that's what I thought. My friend suggested I do this but it sounded too good to be true. Thanks.

Scholars then unearthed clay tablets which provided incontrovertible proof that Jesus and his disciples played Halo 3 during the last supper.
--Christ? Judas is team killing again.
--Judas, don't be a dick.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Sep 2009 at 9:04 PM
If you can find one nearby, you could also ask a repair shop or private computer-fixing-person if they can copy the data for you – they normally have external cases at hand for this kind of thing. Then you wouldn't need to go and buy one just for that one occasion.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.