Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Dec 2022 at 7:57 PM Last edited by lytefoot : 12th Dec 2022 at 11:32 PM.
Default Problems with basements and pools in lot placed from bin
I think I might have done something stupid in a lot that I'm building.

I have a house plan that fits tightly on a 30x30 lot, so (for reasons that made sense at the time) I decided to build it first on a 30x30 lot, then move it to a larger lot to add grounds.

Unfortunately, it looks like nothing below ground level exists beyond the edges of the original 30x30 lot. I can place a first basement or a pool, but they lack a "floor" when they go beyond the edge, and I can't place a second basement. (See the images below.)

I don't think I've ever encountered this before, but I'm not sure if I've ever tried to do this exact thing. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

--EDIT--

Playing around with this, I find that I only get the problem if I save the lot with a basement already, so I can get rid of the existing basement, copy the house to a larger lot, then re-build the basement. This is obviously less than ideal, since I've furnished the heck out of the basement, but better than having to rebuild the entire house. I'll be aware of this when saving houses with basements in the future.

I'm still hoping that there's a fix or work-around to avoid re-doing the basement, though.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 13th Dec 2022 at 2:21 AM
do you have some screenshots where you built the first time on 30x30?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Dec 2022 at 4:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
do you have some screenshots where you built the first time on 30x30?

Sure, though it's unremarkable.

(First showing the ground floor--fence added to show lot boundary. Second showing the basement level.)

The "end" of the basement level definitely coincides with the old lot boundary.
Screenshots
Instructor
#4 Old 13th Dec 2022 at 2:13 PM
the basement you built is actually fine as it is two or three tiles away from the edge, so my questions are;
1. when you placed the lot on a larger lot, did you notice something different with the basement before you built the pool?
2. would you mind uploading your lot on this thread so I could take a look myself?

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by legacyoffailures
the basement you built is actually fine as it is two or three tiles away from the edge, so my questions are;
1. when you placed the lot on a larger lot, did you notice something different with the basement before you built the pool?
2. would you mind uploading your lot on this thread so I could take a look myself?

1. On the larger lot, the original basement wasn't affected, and I didn't notice anything different until I started to build the pool. In troubleshooting the problem, I placed the lot again (without the pool built) and looked at the basement level, and with or without having built the pool, I couldn't extend the basement beyond the dimensions of the original lot.

The original basement goes to 2 tiles away from the edge on the left, 3 tiles away on the right, and further than that in front and back.

2. Sure, I've attached the lot as a zipped sims3pack. There's a bunch of CC and store stuff used (I didn't keep track of exactly where, except that almost all the windows are CC, I wasn't building this with the intent to share)--I believe sims 3 replaces the CC with whatever it was cloned from and doesn't bundle it with the lot, right? I don't think the CC caused the issue, I've used it elsewhere without any problems.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Modern Farmhouse.zip (31.10 MB, 1 downloads)
Instructor
#6 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 2:42 AM
I think the problem is that the basement is still the same size as it was on 30x30 lot. I tried placing it on empty 30x40 in Sunset Valley and I couldn't figure it out why. So my next step is I'm going to recreate your house on empty 30x30 and see if I could find out. The house is pretty simple so it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Oh anyway, thank you for the upload.

Instructor
#7 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 3:50 AM
so my suspicion was correct, it was the hot tub causing the issue as it sunk to the lower level of basement. I rebuilt your house from the scratch on empty 30x30 with basement, saved it to the bin, then placed it on empty 60x60 lot in Sunset Valley. here are some pictures;

30x30

placed it on 60x60

my advice is that you need to delete the hot tub, but note that you'd still be able to go down lower on basement. if it still doesn't work, I'm afraid you gotta build the house from the beginning, but this time without the hot tub placed on basement.
Screenshots

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 14th Dec 2022 at 4:26 AM
Thank you! It wouldn't have occurred to me that the hot tub only was the culprit! That was exactly it--removing the hot tub allowed it to be moved to a larger lot without any problem.

I really appreciate your help!