Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 2:52 AM Last edited by Fluffy Puff : 11th Oct 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Default CPU Usage Concerns
My mother just bought a new laptop, and I want to make sure it lasts as long as possible. The Sims 3 is using 100% of at least one CPU. Is this normal or cause for concern?

Also, will the memory used up by the Sims be freed completely if all Sims 3 data is removed?

Based on my specs (listed below), can I reasonably load and play the sims 2, as well?

And finally, is the Sims 3 using 2,191MB of memory normal?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 5:54 AM
Could you post your System Specs?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#3 Old 1st Feb 2012 at 9:52 AM
That's pretty normal; Sims 3 is a very CPU-heavy game. So long as you've bought a computer which is solid enough to game on (which your system specs will confirm or deny), it shouldn't be a problem. In any case, CPUs and mainboards tend to be the most robust components in a computer, so CPU stress won't do noticeable damage.

The hard drive space that's used by Sims 3 will be freed up if you uninstall, yes. Memory, however, usually refers to random access memory (RAM) which is something totally different - while you'll probably have several hundred GB of hard drive space, you probably only have 4-8 GB of memory. Memory isn't affected at all by what files or programs you have saved/installed, only by what you actually have open and running at the moment.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.