Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:01 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Open for Business, Pets
Default Sims2pack files don't know what program to open with
Ok, I just downloaded a .Sims2pack file from the official site. I clicked on it to install it, and I got a popup asking "Choose the program you want to use to open this file" ! I have no idea what's wrong as I downloaded sims2pack files before and had no problem opening/installing them...

Any help?
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 7:54 PM
If you've installed the Sims2Pack Clean Installer you have 2 choices.
1) Right-click on the file and open with CI to install the file or
2) See the following FAQ to reassociate .Sims2Pack to the Maxis Installer: http://modthesims2.com/article.php?t=81610

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 8:21 PM
Ok, I don't have the Clean Installer, but I tried that thing to reassociate it with the Sims installer anyway...
I followed the instructions exactly, but when I chose the program to associate it with, it changed to Abobe Acrobat (??)
When I try to change the file association it will not let me choose the "PackageInstaller.exe" to open it with. I can click on it, but when I get back to the file type association menu it does not associate the .sim2pack file type with the package installer, and the packageinstaller doesn't show up on the list of programs... Basically it won't let me choose the packageinstaller to open up the .sim2pack files! argh...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 10:33 PM
You need to browse to the location of the package installer, which is in Program files/ EA Games/ The Sims 2 (insert your latest EP here)/ CS bin.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 10:57 PM
I did that, I found the package installer in "browse...", clicked on it, and it went back to the menu asking what file I wanted to associate it with, and the package installer did not show up there, and was not associated with the .sims2pack files.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 5th Jun 2006 at 11:38 PM
Did you start by right clicking on the sims2pack and choosing properties> opens with? Try checking the box to confirm 'always open this type of file with this program'.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 1:50 AM
Ok I tried that... It still won't let me choose the package installeras the program to open it with.
Well, it lets me browse to it and then I click "open" or doubleclick on the package installer, but it still won't show up as the file type... It still says Adobe Acrobat is associated with it!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 6th Jun 2006 at 4:28 PM
Can you perhaps show a screenshot of that so that I can see exactly what you are doing? I may be explaining it wrongly!