Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 9:54 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Package File?
After unzipping downloaded files I recieve an error message that there is no program associated with the Package file, can someone tell me what is going on and why the files won't open. :confused: I have tried WinWip, PicoZip, and Rarfile to no avail. Does that mean the files are corrupt? Any help would be appreciated :werd:
Advertisement
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#2 Old 2nd Mar 2005 at 10:52 PM
You don't open .package files. You just put them in your Downloads folder. You can only open them up with SimPE and that's only if you've installed SimPE (which associates the file extension with the program).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 9:33 PM
Thanks for the info, however if what you say is fact then the files and objects should appear in the game, right? When ,i open the game they are nowhere to be found
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 9:43 PM
Download the files into the appropriate folder (Downloads, walls, floors, etc) then you EXTRACT them with a program like WinRAR or winzip. Extract them to the same appropriate folder and they should then appear in your game the next time you load it.
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 9:44 PM
What kinds of files are you talking about? Have you read this:

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=46633
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd Mar 2005 at 11:43 PM
I'm talking about package files, i downloaded some files from one website consisting of floors, wall, and objects, the walls, floors were sims2pack, the objects: package files. I used WinZIP to extract the walls and floors( which bty showed the sims2 install icon) and then i used WinZIP on the objects and no such luck, they only gave me a duplicate WinZIP file when extracted. As I stated earlier i have picozip which also opens rar files with the same results as WinZIP is there something i am doing wrong?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 9:52 PM
Well, I have about run out of ideas to get objects to download to my sims2. I have created folders, directed files to C:/MyDocuments/EAGames/Downloads/Objects etc. I have no problem installing floors or walls, but for the life of me not .package files. The file by Delphy is for floors and walls, which i have no probs with. It is totally frustrating not being able to add objects. Any suggestion would be appreaciated.
Instructor
#8 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by newgamer6
I'm talking about package files, i downloaded some files from one website consisting of floors, wall, and objects, the walls, floors were sims2pack, the objects: package files. I used WinZIP to extract the walls and floors( which bty showed the sims2 install icon) and then i used WinZIP on the objects and no such luck, they only gave me a duplicate WinZIP file when extracted. As I stated earlier i have picozip which also opens rar files with the same results as WinZIP is there something i am doing wrong?

You extract, and then you leave the files alone. Don't "use winzip" on it. Extract w/ WinZip, and leave them alone. Run the game. The game is going to be the thing that's reading the files.
Test Subject
#9 Old 7th Mar 2005 at 10:12 PM
If they have a little sims icon instead of a document icon you have to double click on it for the games package installer to install it for you.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 10:29 AM
thanks ironman, i can install the simpacks without prob. , but when you say to extract, therein lies the prob. they will not extract at all. All my package files are assocciated with alzip how do i get to install if they won't extract?
Test Subject
#11 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 11:55 AM
Try disabling your virus programs and firewalls, pop up blockers if you run them. Sometimes they will mess up installers.
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#12 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 12:16 PM
.Package files don't need anything done to them except to be put IN your Downloads folder at My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads as they are. All you need to do is take them OUT of .zips or .rars.

Do you have Show Custom Content set to ON in your Game Options?

As package files are NOT subject to any installer there wouldn't really be anything interfering with them. The game will still read them regardless of whatever program has become associated with trying to open them.

Let us know how you go and if it gets all too much either drop me a pm or drop into the chat room so we can talk and figure it out =)

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Field Researcher
#13 Old 9th Mar 2005 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by newgamer6
thanks ironman, i can install the simpacks without prob. , but when you say to extract, therein lies the prob. they will not extract at all. All my package files are assocciated with alzip how do i get to install if they won't extract?

odd, did You assocciate them with winzip?

I checked my .package files and they are all assocciated with "Unknown application" which is fine(you can change what files are assocciated with - right-click/Properties) as mentioned before, you put the .package files in your Downloads folder and that is it! They Don't Have To Be Extracted...
#14 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 3:11 AM
i have them in the correct folder, and have custom objects on in the menu but files still dont show in the game; they are simply .package so i dont know what the hell is going on; im doing this on a friends compter who had this problem, on mine its working perfectly(i have XP, she has Win2000, would that make any diff?)
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#15 Old 16th Mar 2005 at 3:13 AM
The computer's operating system should not make a difference at all. The files should be in C:/My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads/.