Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 7:29 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Townies' memories are being lost/reset
For years I've been sending townie teens to college with my Sims, turning them into dormies, then when my Sims graduate I ask those townies to move in to age them up and turn them back into townies again. I have No Townie Memory Loss so they've always kept all their memories whenever I've done this. Recently however I have noticed that several of these townies are missing their earliest memories, sometimes only having one or two left by the time I send them to college, even though they met and befriended several of my Sims. I've even had cases where their memories were intact when they went to college, but when I age them to adult later those memories are gone and replaced with the generic CAS memories and a handful of memories they gained as dormies. I've also had cases where a townie had their first kiss with my Sim, then when that townie comes back around they have their 'first kiss' again because they lost all their memories in between.

For some reason it seems that the game is resetting their memories back to the default ones, as if that townie has just appeared for the first time, even though they've been involved with plenty of my Sims and gained several memories. I can't be sure exactly when this started, but I downloaded a lot of mods in the month or so before I started noticing it, so I can't pinpoint anything specific which could be the culprit. It's not a big deal and certainly isn't game breaking, but I enjoy looking through the townies' memories every time they age up with my Sims and now I can't do that for several of them, although many others remain intact, which makes it even more puzzling. If anyone knows what sort of thing might cause this to happen I might be able to figure out whether one of the many mods I have is to blame.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Aug 2023 at 11:37 PM
I also have Townie No Memory Loss, and my experience is that it doesn't actually work most of the time. I don't know of a mod that actually works, but let me know if you find one.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Aug 2023 at 1:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I also have Townie No Memory Loss, and my experience is that it doesn't actually work most of the time. I don't know of a mod that actually works, but let me know if you find one.

Since I started using NTML I've never had a situation where moving in a townie completely resets their memories back to default like it does unmodded. But regardless of that, the situation I'm seeing is different. The townies are getting their memories reset while they're still townies, I'm just usually not noticing it has happened until I move them in. I had a Pleasantview game last year where every single child/teen townie went through college at some stage, so I looked through each one's memories twice using my method, and they always had every memory intact. It's weird and annoying that they're suddenly losing their memories while they're townies and I don't know what is causing it.
Inventor
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 12:05 AM
Their memories get initialized when they first spawn and persondata 0x54#5 is set to mark it. Sometimes this flag gets cleared and then they are reset again. I haven't identified when this happens, but a simple workaround is to count how many memories they already have, and skip the initialization if they have a few already.

In person globals: Function - Main - Give Townies Want Histories

I can't link mods here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 4:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Their memories get initialized when they first spawn and persondata 0x54#5 is set to mark it. Sometimes this flag gets cleared and then they are reset again. I haven't identified when this happens, but a simple workaround is to count how many memories they already have, and skip the initialization if they have a few already.

In person globals: Function - Main - Give Townies Want Histories

I can't link mods here.

Interesting. I hadn't noticed this happen at all until recently and now it happens a lot, so maybe I have something which is causing this flag to get cleared when it shouldn't. Either that or I'm suddenly getting really unlucky. Thanks for informing me about the workaround, but I don't know how to do that in SimPe.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 4:58 AM
Well, I don't know for sure that what jonasn described is the problem, but here is a mod that does what he suggests, so that may work. Requires BV or later EP.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  possibletowniememoryfix.zip (448 Bytes, 13 downloads)
Inventor
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 5:04 AM
There might be another problem. This is what I encoutered in my game.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2023 at 12:55 PM
Well, I don't know for sure that what jonasn described is the problem, but here is a mod that does what he suggests, so that may work. Requires BV or later EP.

Much appreciated. I assume that would be incompatible with Marhis's cashistoriesfix or Simler's towniefixes as they change the same function. I've never been sure whether those two mods are making the same changes to that function. Marhis's one has a lot more 'family number' lines so it makes me wonder whether it's affecting more Sims than Simler's one. Either way, I imagine your changes could be added to either one of those pretty easily, but I wouldn't want to mess anything up.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 9:37 PM
I've been testing the mod @kestrellyn provided on a new Pleasantview and it does appear to prevent the memory loss issue. I played for over a week with it installed and saw no obvious issues with townies' memories when I checked them in SimPe, then I played a few households for a day each without it and immediately one of the teen townies had their memories reset. Obviously that's not conclusive, but it looks like it works to me.

It is causing an issue with certain Sims not getting their wants histories though. I've noticed several NPCs who would normally get those histories just not getting them when using this mod, mostly ones who appear on hobby lots (I have a feeling this may be due to Lamare's Hobby Lot Visitors Fix giving them a memory when they arrive), but also the college NPCs like the cheerleader or mascots. I did notice that when these Sims appeared again without the mod installed, the game finally gave them their histories and overwrote the memories they had gained to that point. At this point I'm not sure which of the two issues I'd rather have.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 30th Aug 2023 at 10:32 PM
I'm guessing the uni NPCs probably have a memory of going to college. I've modified this so that it checks for there being more than one memory, instead of more than zero, which should hopefully fix those cases.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  possibletowniememoryfix.zip (450 Bytes, 27 downloads)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 31st Aug 2023 at 12:02 AM
I'm guessing the uni NPCs probably have a memory of going to college. I've modified this so that it checks for there being more than one memory, instead of more than zero, which should hopefully fix those cases.

Thank you so much for continuing to help me out. I really appreciate it.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 11:51 PM

Is that mod intended to replace marhis and simler90's ones mentioned above or should we still keep any of those by loading 'possibletowniememoryfix' last?
I personally have simler90's townie fixes which does show a conflict with the bhav 'Function - Main - Give Townies Want Histories'.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 12:57 AM
Those mods appear to do the same thing with respect to this function. If you load this mod last, they won't work, if you load one of those mods last, this one won't work. I might update it to be compatible with simler's mod later.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 14th Mar 2024 at 11:40 PM
Those mods appear to do the same thing with respect to this function. If you load this mod last, they won't work, if you load one of those mods last, this one won't work. I might update it to be compatible with simler's mod later.

Thank you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 3:35 AM
I tested the provided mod for a while, but ultimately decided not to use it. I've found that service NPCs don't get given their wants histories if they're performing their service function, and as some of them will gain several memories while working (the Nightlife ones in particular), it means that if they appear somewhere else as a guest later, the mod prevents them from ever getting that wants history. I decided that I disliked this more than the problem I originally had, so I've basically just accepted the occasional memory loss.

Something that has occurred to me recently though, is whether there is ever a valid reason why a townie/NPC who has been given their wants history should ever have that flag telling the game they've received it cleared. Surely once they have that flag they should just keep it forever. Assuming this is true, I wonder whether there is any way to make the flag permanent, so even if the game or some mod is trying to clear it for some reason, the flag stays in place and the memories remain intact.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 4:05 AM
It is already a permanent flag, just like every other flag. If we knew what was clearing it, this mod wouldn't be necessary.

I believe the other mods mentioned fix the issue of service NPCs not getting want histories, which is why I said I might update this to work with simler's mod.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 12:59 PM
I took a look through some NPCs' memories in a hood I started and have been playing without this mod but with simler's mod. Several of them who have only appeared in their 'service' role (ie waiter, mail carrier, cafeteria worker) have never been given the CAS histories but do have a few other memories (ie first snow, meeting Sims, cooking food). Everyone who has appeared outside of that role (ie hobby lots, phone calls, being invited over) has the CAS histories as expected. I just assumed this was intended behaviour.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 1:50 PM
I checked again, and service NPCs are already included without any mod. I guess if they are spawned in by an object, that's a different process. I could put in an exception for the service NPCs, so that they always get a CAS history generated even if they have memories already, but then they may have their memories erased from time to time due to the original issue.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Mar 2024 at 7:04 PM
There's definitely something preventing NPCs from getting the wants histories in certain instances but not others. For example, my college hood has two streakers. Both have appeared multiple times, but only one of them has a CAS history. The other has no memories at all. One of the three mail carriers is missing the history, despite having a memory of seeing snow, but the other two have theirs. Two headmasters have appeared in my game and met some of my Sims, but only one of them has a CAS history. I haven't switched around any mods which affect wants histories since starting the hood, so this is all a mystery to me.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 1:38 AM
I've noticed in my current game that there's one particular lot where townies/NPCs get their memories reset almost every time they show up there. It's home to a romance Sim who has romanced several townies/NPCs, and it's a dead giveaway when someone my Sim has already made out with gets a make out memory above their head when she makes out with him again. I checked the memories of every townie and NPC in the hood using SimPE and it looks like every one which has had their memories reset has appeared on that lot at some point. It doesn't appear to have affected any walk-bys or the maid though, and it's clearly not happening every time as some of the Sims still have a few memories intact from before their last visit to that lot. I just wish I had any idea at all what it is about that lot which would make this happen.

I'm thinking I might actually go back to using the fix despite the weird NPC issues, and I almost certainly would if the simler townie fixes were incorporated.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 2:39 AM
Since there is interest, here is a version designed to work with simler's mod. It needs to load after it.

I looked in the code, but I can't find anything related to inviting sims over that looks like it would reset the flag. Is there something you're doing when inviting them over that you don't normally do on other lots, or some interaction that you're doing on this lot that you don't normally do on other lots?
Attached files:
File Type: zip  possibletowniememoryfix.zip (461 Bytes, 4 downloads)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 28th Mar 2024 at 12:36 PM
Thanks for the new version. I wish I could think of something I was doing differently on that lot, but there's nothing. Looking closely, there are a couple of townies who have visited but not been romanced, and their memories are fine. All the townies/NPCs who have been romanced by my Sims on that lot have lost their memories at least once. I'd love to be able to pinpoint the exact moment it happens, but it only becomes apparent when they gain a new memory above their heads which they should already have, or they start thinking about going to college as if it's a new memory the game just gave them. Townies/NPCs who have been romanced on other lots are unaffected.