Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Feb 2024 at 3:55 AM
Hair animation keeps warping hair mesh
The title pretty much says it all. I've gotten it to work once before, but by accident... What am I doing wrong or just not doing?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Feb 2024 at 4:32 AM
Have you had a look at the joint assignments? And which program are you using for those - Milkshape or Blender?

Looks like there could be both some UV and animation issues.

Can you upload the files?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Feb 2024 at 6:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Have you had a look at the joint assignments? And which program are you using for those - Milkshape or Blender?

Looks like there could be both some UV and animation issues.

Can you upload the files?

I can't share the files at the moment due to being on another computer, but this was done in milkshape and the assignments were fine. It's really just the bangs that are giving me issues, as they were working fine before, but when I went back to fix an issue with the base of the hair, the bangs went all crazy on me when I hadn't even touched them. Also the hair pictured isn't the same hair, but an example of the same issue.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 2nd Feb 2024 at 3:18 PM
Without the file it's going to be a bit of guesswork.

Is the problem only visible in Bodyshop/ingame when the sim moves or when you rotate them in CAS/Bodyshop? If so, could be an idea to check the joint assignments AND the comments, especially if you're checking a Milkshape file and not an export from SimPE on the file with the issues.

Make sure all these are in the mesh comments (line #1 should have the currect subset name, #2 should have the correct Opacity, and #4 should say 2 or 3 - If you've assigned to 2 or more joints, or just to be on the safe side, it should say 3).

ModelName:
Opacity:
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts:

If there aren't comments when you import, or if you set the "NumSkinWgts:" to 1, the v assignment data for anything except the first joint gets deleted, and added to that first joint 100% (so if it's "hair1 50% in the first spot, and head 50% second spot", you suddenly get hair1 100%, which causes a bit of a mess in the animations)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Feb 2024 at 5:57 PM Last edited by carrit : 5th Feb 2024 at 2:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Without the file it's going to be a bit of guesswork.

Is the problem only visible in Bodyshop/ingame when the sim moves or when you rotate them in CAS/Bodyshop? If so, could be an idea to check the joint assignments AND the comments, especially if you're checking a Milkshape file and not an export from SimPE on the file with the issues.

Make sure all these are in the mesh comments (line #1 should have the currect subset name, #2 should have the correct Opacity, and #4 should say 2 or 3 - If you've assigned to 2 or more joints, or just to be on the safe side, it should say 3).

ModelName:
Opacity:
HasTangentArray:
NumSkinWgts:

If there aren't comments when you import, or if you set the "NumSkinWgts:" to 1, the v assignment data for anything except the first joint gets deleted, and added to that first joint 100% (so if it's "hair1 50% in the first spot, and head 50% second spot", you suddenly get hair1 100%, which causes a bit of a mess in the animations)

I figured it out. Apparently I was supposed to import the original mesh I was basing the new one off of for each adjustment. I did this the first time and that's why it worked. I appreciate the help
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 4th Feb 2024 at 9:55 PM
Yeah, if you're age/gender converting a mesh, you allways need to start out with the proper skeleton by first importing a mesh that is the proper age + gender + item type (tops/bottoms/fullbody/hair/accessory/etc.) so you get the proper skeleton for what you're converting to (and also the base comments you'll need for Milkshape).

If you for instance start with an adult skeleton and want to make a child hair, there will be issues.