Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
View Poll Results: Live mode in the sims games is pronounced...
Live, like alive
2032 66.21%
Live, rhymes with give
740 24.11%
I don't know/don't care/I like to click buttons.
297 9.68%
Voters: 3069. You may not vote on this poll

Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#151 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 5:10 PM
i say both, kinda like the word herb or erb, same thing liv or live. Woah! woah! middle ground!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#152 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 6:27 PM
I accidentally clicked the wrong radio button and now I feel dirty.

(Meant to click 'live, like alive')
Test Subject
#153 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 7:23 PM
At this point I'm so freaked out, neither sounds right to me. From now on I'm just calling it "F1".
Scholar
#154 Old 27th Jul 2014 at 9:22 PM
When a studio begins shooting action they call it going live (like alive). In practice, I always considered The Sims live mode to be the same way. I never considered calling it live (like give) mode because they're not living, they're simulations. About the only context in computing I can think of where live (like give) is used is TTL (Time To Live) in network packets. This is because they have a mortality deadline. The Sims live (like give) because they have mortality but the simulation itself is either pause or live (like alive).
Lab Assistant
#155 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 2:20 AM
I thought of this a while ago actually but me and my friend have always pronounced it "live" as in "alive"
I like to think of it as like "Live TV" as someone said earlier, like you're watching the Sims doing something "Live" ???
I don't know if that's just me.

I've always thought of it that way, I'm not sure but live as in "give" is kind of weird to me.
Test Subject
#156 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 3:48 PM
[A] Live Mode.

I think I might actually be hurt if the creators ever confirm that it's live (give) instead of [a]live mode. It will be like "Wow, I guess I don't know the game as much as I thought." *shoulders go slack, turns, and walks away down the dark rainy street*
Test Subject
#157 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 5:18 PM
Living that live mode!
I, personally, use live-give, but that's an relic from the time I didn't speak English too well.
But, at the end of the day, everything is better than the Czech translation
Test Subject
#158 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 2:17 AM
The Collins dictionary has two pronunciations for the word " live " and the way to pronounce it when using " live " in those terms,( transmitting during an actual performance) ( in front of a audience), is as in lively, liveliness, liven up.... make's me so mad grrrrrr !!!! I'm a stickler for things like that, it drives me crazy.
Test Subject
#159 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 8:17 AM
Wow, I never really thought about it.
Well, I would choose [laɪv]. Modes would mean "the mode of byuing" and "the mode of building" in Russian translation, so "the mode of living" would be a [laɪv] mode. I'm not a good English speaker, though, so I can't be sure about that
Scholar
#160 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 1:53 PM
There is no right or wrong in a language. It´s not gravity or some other law of physics, but something we make up and modify as we go.
However, being a human being (and as thus extremely prone to picking a side) I of course voted for the version I want to be passed on to future generations and that would be live as in alive. Reasoning: I´m no longer in build or buy mode where I arrange the environment, but "go live" now.
Lab Assistant
#161 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 8:22 AM
While the fact that I'm in the minority on this (though agreeing with the gurus) doesn't bother me all that much, it also never occurred to me that live (rhymes with five) mode was even a thing. Apparently it's a super-popular thing. However, I will continue to play in in Live (rhymes with give) Mode. I don't consider my sims to be live-action, as I can pause or fast-forward them whenever I like, but they do their living in that mode.
Lab Assistant
#162 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 8:01 PM
Those traitors at EA pronounce it live, which rhymes with give.

The "live" comes from the verb (I live, you live, he lives...). That is why it rhymes with give.

It is the mode where you start to "live" (or your sims, whatever)

Crocs with socks
Test Subject
#163 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 9:37 PM
wait are there people who really pronounce it like "give"
on the other hand, i'm starting to realize what a fooped-up language english really is.
Test Subject
#164 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 3:49 AM
I'd actually never though about it before, but definitely live as in alive. Kinda like when a broadcast goes 'live', that's what I've always associated it with.
Test Subject
#165 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 7:36 PM
I've always said it like alive, but now that I think about it, I think it is supposed to be like give lol.
Lab Assistant
#166 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 11:44 PM
I always thought it was live as in rhymes with give. I don't know I guess thats just what I always thought, but I don't mind if its actually referred to as live as in alive.
Test Subject
#167 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 3:47 AM
Even though I've always thought of it as 'live' (as in 'alive'), it does make more sense that it's 'live' (as in 'give').

You build, you buy, then you live.

I guess I'll just call it 'simulation mode' from now on... ;-)
Scholar
#168 Old 2nd Aug 2014 at 5:33 PM
Live as in alive

I also say it as Live because you can Pause the game so it makes sense that way.

The drop off has been made. You've been warned.
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 2:07 PM
it's live, rhyming with alive, definitely.

What is a beginner to do? My Website My TOT My Forum My website
Test Subject
#170 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 5:52 PM
Live is a homonym, but used in the sims I believe it is live as in alive, because you go from build mode to live mode
Test Subject
#171 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 6:52 PM
Default Assumned Damning evidence...
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Of course. We must storm the EA hedge maze with our damning results! Assuming those results are actually damning...

Ok, but....What if it's only seriously DARNing evidence? :P

(Also, -WHY- are there two sticking tongue out emoticons...and more importantly WHY are they RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER ?
Test Subject
#172 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 11:00 PM
I've always thought it was "Live rhymes with give". Not really sure why but, Live (as in alive) just doesn't sound right to me. It is a possibility though, just never thought it was like that.
Test Subject
#173 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 1:21 AM
Live as in alive, as live (with the long "i") is an adjective. However, the live with the short "i" is a verb, and therefore would have to be made "living" to apply to "mode".

I am the most unsavory charlatan.
Test Subject
#174 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 10:24 AM
I always thought that it was live, that rhymes with give.
Anyway I´m not an english native speaker so i could be wrong ^^
Field Researcher
#175 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 5:20 PM Last edited by Simdrew1993 : 4th Aug 2014 at 8:30 PM.
Depends which way you phrase it, there are two different words that are spelled the same for Live.

To Live (Pronounced like Give) for instance, to live and then to die would rhyme with give. Live-Give. I want to Live! LET ME LIVE! They lived for a time then the time came, they then died.....

Live (pronounced like Alive) as in your Live in front of a studio Audience that would rhyme with Alive. You're watching Live TV. I'm playing Sims Live Mode right now!

So yes Live can rhyme with Give if your talking about the right one because there are 2, if that's what this is about.

One more thing yes I know that this is off topic but I'm hoping the Mods will see this because I don't know any place to request this. Now the only thing we simmers need is an option so when people download something of ours on here it would pop up a notification blip that will ask them if they want to proceed with their download and advise them that some meshes are required for this download to function properly displaying all of the mesh required links waiting until they download each then once finished they can click proceed with download. Skyrim Nexus does this before downloads that require an additional download to work so users know they are getting everything, I had no idea where to request this feature or even if I could on here but I think this would be a step up in the community though I have no idea how difficult this would be to code. I have about close to 4000 people that downloaded one of my Sims and they are not noticing the mesh's required tab when they download...

Just an idea to consider

My YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/simdrew1993
My Sims http://simdrew1993.deviantart.com/
My Ganondorf Impression: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqKxNM6IO0?HD=1
Batman Impressions http://youtu.be/hPYnW2AZdzI?hd=1

I make Zelda Sims, so please feel free to check them out!!! :D
Page 7 of 9