Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:39 PM
Default What I love about toddlers
The 'what is your most hated Lifestage' thread gave toddlers a bad rap and made me want to make a thread about why I love toddlers and all the positive things about them.
Now I'm not sure if I can come up with 50 reasons but I made a list of things I love about them, maybe someone else can add some more? If you do hate toddlers maybe this thread can change your mind.

1. They are cute. Might be a shallow reason but it's certainly part of their appeal.
2. Toddlers can sleep in a cats or dogs bed.
3. They can be given a bath and pull some funny faces.
4. They get excited when handed a bottle and look cute while drinking it.
5. If another toddler is present they may autonomously fight the other toddler for the bottle.
6. They can play at the activity table learning mechanical or creativity while also making friends with another toddler and/or child at the table with them. Chewing on a crayon or a block is cute.
7. Toddlers pull some great faces while trying to put blocks in the shape sorter. Did I mention that it's cute?
8. An older child age sibling can teach the little one the nursery rhyme. If they can't, put them on the activity table together for awhile.
9. A child aged sibling can interact with the toddler and gain relationship points by playing peek-a-boo, talk and kiss.
10. A child age sibling can also be mean and tease the toddler with a toy, loosing relationship points. The toddler pulls some very cute faces.
11. Two toddlers can give each other a huggle. You know this is cute.
12. Put down a dog/cat dish with food and the toddler can eat it throwing up handfuls of kibble. Should I mention that this is cute?
13. Take your toddler outside for some new interactions. Toddlers can eat and toss sand.
14 Toddlers can eat and toss snow.
15. Toddlers can toss fallen leaves that have been raked. Guess what?
16. Toddlers can chase butterflies and fireflies. These actions are cute.
17. Toddler can splash in puddles. Some people may find this annoying, but it's still cute.
18. Toddlers can be cuddled, talked to, tickled and have (once it is learnt) the nursery rhyme sung with them.
19. Potty trained toddlers will take care of their own bladder needs patting the side of the potty while they use it. This is cute. No more nappies (diapers) to change.
20. If you change an untrained toddler away from a change table that nappy can be cleaned up and composted for free garden fertilizer. Yes I actualy do that. Fertilizer is $10 the nappy is free. This can make a difference to a very poor family.
21. Left in a cot a toddler will scream. This is horrible you say! The sound is but the face is funny. They get teeth through the jaw and sometimes you can tell who will get a large mouth latter. Could a truck drive through there? Check.
22. If they can walk and are left in the cot you may see a toddler climb out of the cot all by themselves. It happens quickly so you need to be watching. This is very cute.
23. Buy your toddler a floor blanket or a toddler bed and they will take themselves to bed as well as get themselves up. No more screaming or bothering parents.
24. Feed your toddler in a highchair and they eat with their hands, it's very cute.
25. If you put on a hack your toddler can go to a community lot with the rest of the family.
26. Toddlerhood is a great time to bond with other family members and become best friends.
27. If you wait for the toddler to roll the toddler skill wants each one is worth quite a few aspiration points. Use smart milk and a thinking cap and those skills can be learnt in a day or two at most.
28. Toddlerhood is a great time to learn some charisma skill in a fun and cheap way.
29. Add in some hacked toddler toys and your toddler can learn any skill.
30. Add a cat or dog in your house and a toddler will cuddle them. Very cute and funny.

Did I mention that toddlers are cute? They are cute, adorable and funny. Taking the toddler cuteameter and subtracting any possible bad points means that toddlers win hands down. If you haven't seen some of these interactions then go give them a try.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
#2 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:47 PM
31. Toddlers can play in the toilet and splash and giggle and are cute. So what if you have to clean up the puddles, you don't have to or the maid can do it.
32. If a toddler can walk, they can walk to the toy bin to get a toy out. When reaching in for a toy, there head disapears into the box with their feet dangling in the air- ADORABLE!
33. Toddlers can play with others with a dollhouse and put the dolls in their mouths which is cute.
34. They autominously do a little dance to music which I love. (Good to keep your toddlers busy if you want them to get the scholarship for the hidden dance skill)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:53 PM
Great points BeckyBoo8! I had totally forgotten about 32, 33 and 34. Those are very adorable toddler interactions. I didn't add 31 as I thought most people would hate that. Although I am sure like everything else that a hack exists to stop that should anyone want to.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:54 PM
#35. Their wants are super easy to fulfill. Be snuggled, be tickled, sing nursery rhyme with anyone who has sung it with them before, be read to. Learn their toddler skills, get other skills. No marco-polo, blog about something when the family doesn't have a pool or computer.

On #25, do you use a teleporter or some other hack?

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 10:59 PM
For #25 I use this hack: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=303968

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:38 PM
Did you mention, when they learn to walk, the way they walk is cute?

My favourites are the toddler-pet interactions.

Oh, and toddlers in those woolly little outdoor coats are cute, especially teamed with some of the toddler hats and the female toddler head scarf. They are amongst the nicest EAxis skins.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#7 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:52 PM
#36: Toddlers in snow! Toddlers in snow!
#37: After 75 long hours of pregnancy and two long days of babyhood, (especially long in mine, with my one-day rotations in a large neighborhood) you finally get to see what the kid looks like!
#38: And see how he feels, and what he wants, and get a handle on who he is, and can tell him to do things and observe how his personality is developing. He stops being a grub and becomes a real little pixel-person!
#39: Toddlers can play with visitors and make friends with them - gramma, grampa, aunts, uncles, cousins, random guy come home from work.
#40: The play-with interaction, especially with visitors. SQUEEEEEEE!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:53 PM
#36 and #37 to Maxon. Pet interactions was number #30.

Snow was #14

38 to peni: After 75 long hours of pregnancy and two long days of babyhood, (especially long in mine, with my one-day rotations in a large neighborhood) you finally get to see what the kid looks like!
39 to Peni: And see how he feels, and what he wants, and get a handle on who he is, and can tell him to do things and observe how his personality is developing. He stops being a grub and becomes a real little pixel-person!
40 to Peni: Toddlers can play with visitors and make friends with them - gramma, grampa, aunts, uncles, cousins, random guy come home from work. The play-with interaction, especially with visitors. SQUEEEEEEE!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:56 PM
I love this! Toddlers aren't everyone's cup of tea and certainly don't have to be, but I love the positive spin here. :lovestruc

I wish I could think of something to add, but the list seems pretty comprehensive so far. I totally agree that pretty much everything a sim toddler does is super cute, and can't think of any annoyances related to them that can't be handled with some patience, creativity, and perhaps a hack or two.

Sometimes I think people would rather hang on to their dislikes, just so they'll continue to have something to bitch about.
#10 Old 23rd Oct 2012 at 11:58 PM
Yes Peni Griffin I love getting to see what the baby will look like, trying to see if I can discover their hobby (But you can only find out if they have some like Tinkering, Film & Lit, Music & Dance, Arts & Crafts, Science, and Cuisine- I don't think there is any way for toddlers to gain enthusiam in sports, fitness, or nature), their personalities. I always think of a baby just as a baby and so and so's child. But then once they are toddlers I think of the tot for who they are, beginning to develop as their own sim.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 12:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Sometimes I think people would rather hang on to their dislikes, just so they'll continue to have something to bitch about.

True, true.

41. Download a sippy cup/hacked bottle and you won't even have to go to the fridge, the bottle can be left on the floor, won't go bad and can be drunk whenever needed.
*If someone wants those sippy cups they have been fixed by Theraven and now come in five coloured prints on MoonlightDragon.

Later I will try and come up with all my links to toddler toys that teach all skills and include some of the other hobby enthusiasms.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#12 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 12:03 AM
You get the announcement about nature if they chase butterflies or fireflies. Which they can totally do if your house isn't on a foundation.

And I was actually thinking of the toddler who learned to walk in the snow! His folks lived in an apartment and Dad seized his chance and took him out to the patio. And then there's the woman who read to her toddler in a snowbank...

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
#13 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 12:07 AM
42: Outfits in general! The bob that came with the game for little girls is so cute! Even though I downloaded more hairstyles to give variety, the bob is my favorite. The bear costume (Think it came with Family Fun) is adorable, great for Halloween or as pj's. I love that costume, at first I disliked it, but it definitely has grown on me. The pretty Celebration dresses which I love to death, they are so pretty sometimes my toddlers wear them for their entire toddler hood Nightlife added the cute pigtails, which I use sometimes and I think they're cute. Also Nightlife added the frog and bear hats which are soooooo cute I love setting them as outerwear!

Peni- Ughhhh this is the first time I've heard of this action and I've never seen it before!!! I'm going to play Sims and every household that has a toddler will leave them outside until I see that. Unless it snows or the toddler starts to cry. Can't neglect the little tot, now can we?
Alchemist
#14 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 12:18 AM
43. Teens and adults (and maybe kids) can sit down on the floor and interact with the toddler, while the toddler is playing with the skilling toys.
44. Toddlers cry if they see someone smashing the dollhouse. Both sad and cute.
#15 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 12:56 AM
45. Can't believe no one mentioned this already!! The spinny toy that you can make with the toy bench that comes with OFB! I love when the toddlers ride that on fast and they hold on with one hand and wave the other arm in the air. Honestly when I was picking out what EP to get I was watching the trailers on YT and that toy was the main reason why I got it hahaha
Mad Poster
#16 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 1:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BeckyBoo8
45. The spinny toy that you can make with the toy bench that comes with OFB! I love when the toddlers ride that on fast and they hold on with one hand and wave the other arm in the air.

This. Also, can toddlers play in the water wiggler? I forget.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#17 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 1:09 AM Last edited by joandsarah77 : 24th Oct 2012 at 4:11 AM.
I had forgotten about the OFB toys as I so very rarely use them, but I think toddlers can use most of them. I know in one flat(apartment) the dad made the Mr Brick and I put it up on a shelf and the toddler tried to interact with the brick but couldn't due to where I put it. I'm going to have to put the brick on the floor and see what she can do with it.

46. Plays with the OFB Mr Brick Toy. They pet the brick added by Peni Griffin
47. Plays with the OFB Clown-In-A-Box. I love love love how they hug the clown! Added by Macaroodle. The evil clown will make them cry.
48. Has a ride-on toy lama and waves one hand in the air.

Quote:
Also, can toddlers play in the water wiggler?

Sadly no, which is silly as they should. There is a buyable one someplace that has been hacked, but I believe the animations are child ones so it may look a bit weird.

49. There are also downloadable paddle pools and toddlers can splash in those.

And I just thought of 50!
50. Hire a nanny and have your toddler demand attention off her constantly until she pees on the floor! So maybe that is more a 'How many ways can the nanny be tortured' thread, but it sounds good to me.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#18 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 1:36 AM Last edited by The SimWhisperer : 24th Oct 2012 at 3:19 AM. Reason: Has already been said!
51) If you put the frog hats on the boys, you will get Beau Broke's hairstyle, without using hacks.
52) When they learn a nursery song, they often sit happily singing it-maybe this was said already?
53)They have the cutest giggle, as do babies!
54) They throw tantrums in the high chair, if they want to go to bed, rather than eat. Although not so cute in real life!
55) I swear they're yelling "daddy", when they wake up.
56) The crawling is cute.
57) Their passive/aggressivness, with Sims they don't know. They want attention and ask for it, but depending, on their personality, they either gladly go to someone or smack them away, almost saying no!

Who has the best toddler beds out there? I know Simbology has them, but I was wondering if there's any other recommendations?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#19 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 2:47 AM
Woo more than 50! Actualy The Sim Whisperer yours starts at 51 because I did 50 and because influence was already mentioned it covers 51 to 56.

~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#20 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 3:19 AM
I'm with Darby, it's so great to see a thread dedicated to love for the todds!

57. When they're being taught to talk, they don't repeat the words exactly but more baby-talk versions of them.
58. Not just the sippy cups- there's also a downloadable pacifier that serves the same purpose. You get the adorableness of them sucking on a pacie without it hiding their mouth all the time (which is what happens when you download them as accessories).
59. The way they stretch their tiny arms when they wake up.
60. How they try to stay awake and sit up when they're put down for their naps but just collapse from tiredness.
61. The way they wiggle in their highchairs when they're done eating.
62. How they say the Simlish version of "All gone!" when they're done with their bottles.
63. Something else about them crying when they wake up- it's just so dramatic, with them throwing their heads back and stomping. If your house's stress level is low it can be pretty cute too!
64. Not sure if this one counts since the jack-in-the box was already mentioned, but I love love love how they hug the clown! joandsarah, what's the verdict?

Oh, the spinny toy... I remember when I first saw a toddler riding one. So precious! :lovestruc

Hey- if you said something to me in a post and I didn't write back, I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't feel good enough to post and by the time I'm able to the thread's old enough that I feel kind of weird about bumping it just to post one or two sentences. So please don't take it personally! :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 3:34 AM
63 and 64 have both been mentioned, how about I add the hugging the clown to number 47? Anyone know what they do with the brick so I can add that?

So we are up to 63!

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#22 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 4:09 AM
They pet the brick. I think that's all you can do with it.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
Original Poster
#23 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 4:10 AM
Oh well it's still something different. I'll add that to it.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#24 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 4:13 AM
OFB Toy Robot! Mind, I've never done it in game, but I'm sure I've seen pics of it in The Vetinari Dual Legacy.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Test Subject
#25 Old 24th Oct 2012 at 4:37 AM
Awww that is many reasons why I love the toddlers. They are not as demanding as babies lol.
Page 1 of 5