Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Mar 2024 at 10:18 PM Last edited by OhRudi : 13th Mar 2024 at 11:37 PM. Reason: added Link to my other routing fix mod
Fix: Sims need less space - Beta Testers needed
TL;DR
  • please help me testing my new mod: install it, play with it, if something unusual happens, write feedback under this forum post, THANK YOU <3
  • with this mod, your sims need half of the space for all interactions, which could vastly improve routing in small spaces
  • compatible with “Interaction on sloped terrain enabler” by nikel23
  • compatible with all my other mods
  • Each package file requires a different expansion pack. The requred expansion is part of the filename.
  • Installation: just put all the files in your packages-folder, the usual way, nothing special required, merging is no problem
  • Conflicts: highly unlikely, see below for detail
  • also here's my other routing fix for pets

Explanation - how the mod works
This mod reduces the space that sims need for doing things, similar to my other mods. It does this by overwriting the jig size for each sim interaction. A jig is an invisible object that’s auto placed on the ground, while e.g. two sims are talking to each other. Other sims will walk around the other sims talking, cause the jig (placed under the sims talking) obstructs the routing-way for other sims. By default all jigs are quite big, in most cases even way bigger than they need to be. But if you reduce the jig size by a mod, than those interactions are possible even in tiny over-cluttered rooms.

Here an example: Playing guitar has originally a jig, that’s 2x2 boxes/meters big, which meant sims often walk outside the house, cause nowhere is enough free space for this very big jig to place down. I solved this issue with my other mod, by reducing the size of the jig for playing guitar.

Now these mods do the same for all sim interactions and I need some voluntary testers to assure that this big mod is flawless.

How to install
  • Installation: just put all the files in your packages-folder, the usual way, nothing special required, you can merge them as well
  • each file requires a different expansion pack
  • the required expansion pack is part of the filename
  • if you don't have the expansion pack, it's just doing nothing, but it won't cause any other problems

I need your feedback
Please write your feedback under this forum post and let me know if you want to be a tester. <3
Each voluntary tester gets a BIG Thank you note on the final download page.
This mod affects routing of your sims. If you got an error, make sure that your error to keep the following in mind:
  • this mod can’t affect animations
  • this mod can’t affect scripting-errors, that are caught by NRaas-Error-Trap
  • this mod affects the space that sims need for interactions
  • this mod affects routing of your sims

List of all altered Interactions

Technical Details
  • this mod edits the all jigs that came with the Pets expansion pack
  • Conflicts: only if you have a mod installed who's editing exactly this resource as well, but I assume that's highly unlikely
  • use delphys dashboard to check for conflicts

Happy Simming
Attached files:
File Type: zip  OhRudi__Sims_need_less_Space.zip (19.9 KB, 293 downloads)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 1:15 AM
Thanks for sharing! I'll use it in my university save
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 5:49 AM
Looks interesting. Will be testing!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 11th Mar 2024 at 10:39 PM
This mod is going in my game ASAP! The space I need to Spar and Spell Duel is so aggravating. Just the other day my sims left their entire apartment just to pillowfight, even though they had plenty of space in their bedroom.

Is it possible to also tweak routing for dining chairs in front of stairs and doors/arches? Or is that a separate footprint thing? Cuz that drives me NUTS.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 1:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by murfee
This mod is going in my game ASAP! The space I need to Spar and Spell Duel is so aggravating. Just the other day my sims left their entire apartment just to pillowfight, even though they had plenty of space in their bedroom.

Is it possible to also tweak routing for dining chairs in front of stairs and doors/arches? Or is that a separate footprint thing? Cuz that drives me NUTS.

Hey @murfee,
that's possible to tweak (I think), but that's not possible through jigs. Jigs are dynamicly placed. The reserved space for stairs, doors/arches, chairs is part of the mesh or something similar (I think, didn't try it yet).
But it's a good idea to look into
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 1:45 PM
Default Got some misleading typos in the original Post
maysmile3213516 SimC murfee

In the original post from above, I got some typos I wrote that it reduces the space your pets need for doing things. Thats not true. I meant to write it reduces the space your sims need for doing things.

The mod that reduces the space for pet interactions is already live (link).
Inventor
#7 Old 12th Mar 2024 at 11:20 PM
I added this mod too (all packages). I'll let you know if I see any issues, but it seems unlikely at this point!

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Instructor
#8 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 10:40 AM
Hi!

I tested for a while, first without the fix, with a household of 8 in the Now and Then Century Manor from the TS3 Store. Which is quite cramped when the entire family is home or when more relatives have been invited over, especially if they all want to be in the same room.

Then I added the Base Game, World Adventures, Ambitions, and Late Night packages.
It worked wonderfully! They weren't getting caught in the narrow spaces while trying to pass by one another anymore, and sims passing through were able to dodge around conversations and do other things without having to leave the room.

Only small issue I saw was two sims had a martial arts spar in the middle of the living room- which was nice to see at first, but they step back into a wide stance that did lead to clipping through the furniture very noticeably. Though it was great that they didn't have to walk across the house just to ask to spar, which they did in the first test.
It's only a visual oddity, but I would recommend focusing tests on any animations that might end at the edge of their jig for the possibility of stranding sims in/behind objects. The spar luckily has them step back together in the center when they are done.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Mar 2024 at 11:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CardinalSims
but I would recommend focusing tests on any animations that might end at the edge of their jig for the possibility of stranding sims in/behind objects.

That's a great tip, thank you! I'll test more by myself in this direction.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 16th Mar 2024 at 6:04 PM
I'm signing up as a tester too, your mod for pets was just so awesome I might as well as give something back. :P
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 9:19 PM
@maysmile3213516 @SimC @murfee @echoweaver @CardinalSims @Sazandora123
Hey Guys,
did you've got any new results or errors regarding my mod?
Inventor
#12 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OhRudi
Hey Guys,

I've been playing with it, and so far I haven't had trouble.

Echo Weaver's Simblr: http://echoweaver.tumblr.com/
A portrait in stubbornness - Playing the same legacy since 2009
Sample a Brave Legacy: http://sims3sample.illation.net
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 19th Mar 2024 at 10:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Nope, nothing out of the ordinary here. All good!
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 1:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I haven't had problems so far.
Test Subject
#15 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 6:26 PM
Hi!, I want to test this mod too. I have the Dynamic Avoidance settings set to 0.1, as many optimization tutorials teach.

" DynamicAvoidance_FieldRadius = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_InactiveFieldLength = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_MinNonIntersectingDistance = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_FieldLengthPad = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_StopDistanceMultiplier = 0.1 "

Do you think this mod could cause any conflict between the settings with Sims3.ini? Or will the mod complement the sims' interactions? Well, anyway I'll be downloading it to test
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vaddish
Hi!, I want to test this mod too. I have the Dynamic Avoidance settings set to 0.1, as many optimization tutorials teach.

" DynamicAvoidance_FieldRadius = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_InactiveFieldLength = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_MinNonIntersectingDistance = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_FieldLengthPad = 0.1
DynamicAvoidance_StopDistanceMultiplier = 0.1 "

Do you think this mod could cause any conflict between the settings with Sims3.ini? Or will the mod complement the sims' interactions? Well, anyway I'll be downloading it to test

It won't conflict in the usual way (it doesn't override something that the mod does).
But I didn't knew about this setting yet. Have to test it as well. Thank you for the tip
@vaddish Please keep me posted what your results are, especially in tight overcrowded spaces
Thank you for helping!
Test Subject
#17 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 9:11 PM
It won't conflict in the usual way (it doesn't override something that the mod does).
But I didn't knew about this setting yet. Have to test it as well. Thank you for the tip
@vaddish Please keep me posted what your results are, especially in tight overcrowded spaces
Thank you for helping!

So, dynamic avoidance is more useful for when sims are going to pass close to something or between them, and this configuration really helps, as in several cases they are able to pass right next to each other, or even crossing a little. But your mod seems to act in other ways, from what I saw in the .package when I merged them. It kind of affects interactions with objects too, right?

I tested it for a short time, and it apparently had a very positive effect on the game. I already have your mod for pets, and combined with this and the change to dynamic avoidance in sims3.ini, I noticed that nraas stopped notifying sims trapped in a world I'm playing (it's called Saaqartoq in the populated version). Every time there was a warning that "sim needed to be restarted", and with this mod, the pop-ups stopped. Could it be a placebo or luck? Maybe, but I'll test it and give feedback. So far so good!

Instructor
#18 Old 20th Mar 2024 at 11:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by vaddish
So, dynamic avoidance is more useful for when sims are going to pass close to something or between them, and this configuration really helps, as in several cases they are able to pass right next to each other, or even crossing a little.

Dynamic Avoidance is actually one of those pseudo-myths, in that it doesn't actually change the routing at all.
I've used it before too, but the consensus back at NRaas a while ago is that it's purely an illusion- it's for the animation engine, not the pathing. It's a placebo effect that you see sims clip through things / each other more often, but they are still adhering to an identical routing path as before- their animations are just putting in less calculations to be in the 'correct' spot. They are still avoiding collision boxes as strictly as before, just not visually.

More info here.

Scribe of tutorials. Oracle of questions at NRaas. Blog staller at thecardinalsims. Feel free to @ me for input on any TS3/TS4 modding questions.
Test Subject
#19 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 2:31 AM
i am SO happy to test this, ive wanted this for soooooo long.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 11:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nahyutarightsactivist
i am SO happy to test this, ive wanted this for soooooo long.

Thank you for helping
Keep me posted, if you see any glitching
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 21st Mar 2024 at 11:48 AM
Dynamic Avoidance is actually one of those pseudo-myths, in that it doesn't actually change the routing at all.
I've used it before too, but the consensus back at NRaas a while ago is that it's purely an illusion- it's for the animation engine, not the pathing. It's a placebo effect that you see sims clip through things / each other more often, but they are still adhering to an identical routing path as before- their animations are just putting in less calculations to be in the 'correct' spot. They are still avoiding collision boxes as strictly as before, just not visually.

More info here.

Oh, good to know, thank you
Test Subject
#22 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 2:01 AM
This mod has been great to test. I’ve had sims insist on having conversations in front of the tv and I shouted, “move!” 😂😂😂
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 2:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Shadez
This mod has been great to test. I’ve had sims insist on having conversations in front of the tv and I shouted, “move!” 😂😂😂

Exactly what I was looking for Thank you for testing
Test Subject
#24 Old 22nd Mar 2024 at 12:39 PM

More info here.

Oh, good to know that. From what I've read, apparently there is a difference, but only in terms of animation, where it can really save the game some lag, but I don't know if they were talking about the configuration of dynamic avoidance or the other lines of code that they changed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Mar 2024 at 8:47 PM
Default Beta testing is over, Mod is live
@maysmile3213516, @SimC, @murfee, @echoweaver, @CardinalSims, @Sazandora123, @vaddish, @nahyutarightsactivist[/b] and [b]@Shadez

Thank you guys for testing It's live now. Click here
Page 1 of 2